Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I see you posted a quote from WCG. It looks like they can't read either because Chicago's effective cap is 96.6M and the Seahawks are not 2nd place either. Patriots are.

semantics. the difference between us and 2nd was the main point

sportrac states $90M with the pats 2nd at $63, so $27M instead of $30M 🙄

meanwhile, we will have $155M more than the saints 🙃

8 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

semantics. the difference between us and 2nd was the main point

sportrac states $90M with the pats 2nd at $63, so $27M instead of $30M 🙄

meanwhile, we will have $155M more than the saints 🙃

Sportrac also assumes no team will have rollover money. But yeah. Lets go with them too. 😆

47 players under contract next year.  Only 14 are projected starters this year. Maybe 16 if players like Edwards or Gipson get the nod. That's a lot of holes to fill to go along with extensions for Roquan and possibly Monty and Mooney.

*Robert Quinn
*Eddie Jackson
*Cody Whitehair
*Justin Jones
*Justin Fields

Mario Edwards Jr.
*Al-Quadin Muhammad
*Cairo Santos

Angelo Blackson
Jeremiah Attaochu
*Lucas Patrick
*Cole Kmet
*Teven Jenkins
*Jaylon Johnson

Trevor Siemian
Darrynton Evans
*Velus Jones Jr.
Trevis Gipson
Kindle Vildor
*Darnell Mooney
*Larry Borom

Khalil Herbert
Khyiris Tonga
Caleb Johnson
Braxton Jones
Zachary Thomas
Dominique Robinson
Trestan Ebner
Doug Kramer
Ja'Tyre Carter
Trenton Gill
Elijah Hicks
Jean Delance
Kevin Shaa
CJ Avery
Chase Allen
Jack Sanborn
Jake Tonges
Allie Green IV
Micah Dew-Treadway
Jaylon Jones
Christian Albright
Jon Alexander
AJ Thomas
Antonio Ortiz
Carson Taylor
De'Montre Tuggle

On 5/16/2022 at 12:43 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

As a new GM of the Bears, every move Ryan Poles makes will be put under a microscope and we will all have different feelings about each of them. So lets use this thread to evaluate his progression (or regression) and express our opinions here instead of derailing separate threads that are largely off-topic.

My thoughts so far on poles:

I understand his thought process at least, he has a plan so far, and he wants to stick to that, build through the draft, go cheaper on FA.  I'm not sure he did enough to truly help Fields.... but I can't really fault the draft selections he took. Overall it feels very similar to the old Lovie teams when I'm expecting the defense to do like 3/4 of the work, and I feel like an offense in the top half of the league is being extremely optimistic. His plan depends significantly on the evaluation after this season (and maybe even after the '23 season), and where all the rookies end up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

I understand his thought process at least, he has a plan so far, and he wants to stick to that, build through the draft, go cheaper on FA.  I'm not sure he did enough to truly help Fields.... but I can't really fault the draft selections he took. Overall it feels very similar to the old Lovie teams when I'm expecting the defense to do like 3/4 of the work, and I feel like an offense in the top half of the league is being extremely optimistic. His plan depends significantly on the evaluation after this season (and maybe even after the '23 season), and where all the rookies end up.

So you mean like 3/4 of Bears teams in history?

16 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Pace did what your supposed to do. Find a QB you believe in and do everything in your power to build around him during his rookie contract. He just chose the wrong the QB and coach.

Meanwhile, Poles has done the opposite. He has treated this offseason as if he doesn't have a QB to build around, despite Fields being 5x the prospect Mitch was. We had 33M to start to the offseason (10th most in the league) and he squandered 24 of it by shipping Mack for only a 2nd round pick. This was his first mistake. If Pace had done this then we would never hear the end of it. But I guess it's okay now because....reasons.

Reasons is every new coach and GM gets a honeymoon.   People will rationalize everything.  Like a political junkie with their preferred party.

I think Poles honeymoon will be short because QB was in place.  He basically gets a year to be bad.   There is logic behind his moves. There was logic at time behind each of Pace moves too as you pointed out above.  

The big fear is we already burned his first year in typical Bears fashion and then we went defense heavy in his second year.  

I guess we’ll see how it plays out.  In real time many Pace moves could be spun to make sense.  In hindsight many of them were bad.  

To illustrate 2017 draft was looking pretty good in 2018 and into 2019 offseason.   Trubisky looked much improved with arrow pointing up after Fox left.  Shaheen was showing flashes before injury remember the Denver co-camp where Denver media was gushing on him from scrimmages.  Eddie Jackson was a steal.  Cohen was most exciting player on field from OTAs on.   Pace was the man at that time.  

Now not so much in hindsight.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Epyon said:

I would be fine with having an elite defense (even if the offense is still tailing) just as long as Fields is ascending and showing he can be a long term fixture because I'm tired of this QB carousel.

I know a lot of fans are tired of seeing the defense carry the offense but I want a championship and I don't give a damn how we get it. Hate it or love it, Lovies defenses/special teams kept us competitive for years, and if we can get that while Fields shows progress then I would be very happy with that. A good defense with a future QB can make us even more competitive than the Lovie era. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Reasons is every new coach and GM gets a honeymoon.   People will rationalize everything.  Like a political junkie with their preferred party.

I think Poles honeymoon will be short because QB was in place.  He basically gets a year to be bad.   There is logic behind his moves. There was logic at time behind each of Pace moves too as you pointed out above.  

The big fear is we already burned his first year in typical Bears fashion and then we went defense heavy in his second year.  

I guess we’ll see how it plays out.  In real time many Pace moves could be spun to make sense.  In hindsight many of them were bad.  

To illustrate 2017 draft was looking pretty good in 2018 and into 2019 offseason.   Trubisky looked much improved with arrow pointing up after Fox left.  Shaheen was showing flashes before injury remember the Denver co-camp where Denver media was gushing on him from scrimmages.  Eddie Jackson was a steal.  Cohen was most exciting player on field from OTAs on.   Pace was the man at that time.  

Now not so much in hindsight.  

Yeah I get that, and I don't have a problem with fans being optimistic of the new regime.  But man.... sometimes the rationalization is so over the top and so far from reality that it becomes laughable at times.  I guess I just really dislike fans being over-the-top homers in general. Because often times those same fans will switch up at a moments notice and start moving goal posts in order to rationalize every move while also pretending they weren't fighting the opposite fight  just months before.

As fans, we all have a little homer in us, that's what makes us fans, but the inconsistencies I see sometimes is what bother me. Probably more than it should.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I would be fine with having an elite defense (even if the offense is still tailing) just as long as Fields is ascending and showing he can be a long term fixture because I'm tired of this QB carousel.

I know a lot of fans are tired of seeing the defense carry the offense but I want a championship and I don't give a damn how we get it. Hate it or love it, Lovies defenses/special teams kept us competitive for years, and if we can get that while Fields shows progress then I would be very happy with that. A good defense with a future QB can make us even more competitive than the Lovie era. 

Yep, said the same for years. Offensively we can run the Navy triple option or pass too much for Mike Leach's liking, just get points on the board consistently. I love seeing us put up points but Trestman's offense put up the 2nd most points in the NFL and we still missed the playoffs. While I would love to be top 10 in both categories I'll take wins however we can get them. A franchise QB will be the best chance at stacking wins in the regular and postseason.

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah I get that, and I don't have a problem with fans being optimistic of the new regime.  But man.... sometimes the rationalization is so over the top and so far from reality that it becomes laughable at times.  I guess I just really dislike fans being over-the-top homers in general. Because often times those same fans will switch up at a moments notice and start moving goal posts in order to rationalize every move while also pretending they weren't fighting the opposite fight  just months before.

As fans, we all have a little homer in us, that's what makes us fans, but the inconsistencies I see sometimes is what bother me. Probably more than it should.

I think fans will naturally overreach each time too, myself included to a degree. Start from being overly hopeful to almost scorned lovers when things go bad. Sherlock said it best, "Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

I'm hopeful Poles is building it right but won't put actual money down he is. I didn't care much for Eberflus but dammit I hope I really overlooked him and he gets this straight (or even is the Fox to Getsy's Kubiak. I just want to see us freaking win - consistently. Not these aberrations that give false hope every 3-4 years.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Yep, said the same for years. Offensively we can run the Navy triple option or pass too much for Mike Leach's liking, just get points on the board consistently. I love seeing us put up points but Trestman's offense put up the 2nd most points in the NFL and we still missed the playoffs. While I would love to be top 10 in both categories I'll take wins however we can get them. A franchise QB will be the best chance at stacking wins in the regular and postseason.

I think fans will naturally overreach each time too, myself included to a degree. Start from being overly hopeful to almost scorned lovers when things go bad. Sherlock said it best, "Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

I'm hopeful Poles is building it right but won't put actual money down he is. I didn't care much for Eberflus but dammit I hope I really overlooked him and he gets this straight (or even is the Fox to Getsy's Kubiak. I just want to see us freaking win - consistently. Not these aberrations that give false hope every 3-4 years.

Preach brother!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 10:06 AM, Sugashane said:

I know my response is late here, but I'm so tired of this never ending QB debate that I would've sacrificed the defense this year to surround Fields with the best talent on offense to see what we truly have in him and then go from there. This is what I was hoping a new GM would do. Especially since we already knew the defense was going to have be revamped anyways, regardless of who was running the show.

You're absolutely right on this. And truth be told I probably fall into this category too.

It's just so hard to trust the McCaskey's to do the right thing at this point. I'm tired of hearing the same old shtick about how 'they care' or that "Virginia was pissed", or any other nonsense coming from their publicists. We've heard it too much for too long and it's nothing more than crying wolf at this point. Actions speak louder than words. And their actions have shown that they don't really care about winning at all. They only care about one thing, and one thing only, and that's money to please their investors! They know they're going to sell out stadiums regardless of winning because they own one of the largest markets in the league, and they also know how many generational die hard fans they have who will still be there to spend money regardless if they win or lose.

This is what pisses me off about the McCaskey's and this organization in general. Halas legit cared for this sport and helped build it around the ideology of simply wanting to make the sport better and making this team great at all costs. Hell, he helped the Packers for christ sakes just to make the sport competitive. It wasn't about the bottomline like it is now.

That's all I want too. Consistency. I'm tired of us only being a legit contender once every 20 years years while the rest of the time is spent hovering around 500 mixed with bottom feeders. I want a Superbowl but I'll even settle with just being legit playoff contenders on a consistent basis.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Everyone: Bears need receivers

Poles: what if I sign a few and 2 of them get arrested? Will that suffice?

It sucks, but how would he be able to predict this? I haven't read anywhere where any of these guys showed signs of this happening.

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Everyone: Bears need receivers

Poles: what if I sign a few and 2 of them get arrested? Will that suffice?

To be so messed up on whatever you fall asleep at a drive thru and don't wake up until police have to rouse you means you have a problem.  It is likely some Taco Bell employees tried to wake him before calling police.  

You aren't a kid anymore at 27.  You are just an irresponsible person with a substance abuse problem.  You could have easily killed someone driving like that.  He should be counting his blessings he didn't.  

I would cut him.

6 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

It sucks, but how would he be able to predict this? I haven't read anywhere where any of these guys showed signs of this happening.

Couldn't predict Ogunjobi failing his physical

Couldn't predict Pringle driving like an asswipe with his child in the car

Couldn't predict Moore falling asleep at a fast food drive thru

I also couldn't predict he'd take 2 defensive players in round 2 and an old man in round 3, but here we are