Commanders Mini-Camp

turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The problem with Payne is the position. It’s not that he’s not a great player, bc he is but giving two DTs huge deals is just an unwise allocation of a teams cap space. I said it before they actually signed Jon Allen but knew they would and when they did that Payne would definitely not be re-signed here and if you want to build a balanced team with depth & good starters or stars throughout, not giving Payne a deal where he’s making $15-20 mil a year is the right move long term for the franchise.

Sweat & Chase are younger & play premium positions. They have time to develop & become good or great at their positions. 

They do and are talented but production health and impact on a consistent basis matters. Payne and Allen have both been the best players along that DL. And yes if we were to hand out contracts to all 4 in these 4 years that would be roster hindering. But we could do deals with them and trade whichever one is the least impactful to that unit if they all developed properly. Teams work the cap and it’s def possible to make it work in a way that we could still evaluate who is the best moving forward based on how the team grows. But Payne has earned a deal as did Allen. But Sweat and Chase for various reasons haven’t IMO earned the types of deals they will command. So do you really let Payne walk and then you have two guys that still haven’t shown they are the level of player their ability should perform too? I would sign each of them as they show they deserve it and move on from whichever is the one that isn’t the best 3. Just because you play a premium position doesn’t mean their giving you premium production. I believe we need to sign the best players out of them based on their impact on the field not their potential impact. 
this is basically the drafting a OG debate to drafting a OT. Yes you always want the OT over the guard preferably but the position they play doesn’t make them a better player.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, ripsean21 said:

They do and are talented but production health and impact on a consistent basis matters. Payne and Allen have both been the best players along that DL. And yes if we were to hand out contracts to all 4 in these 4 years that would be roster hindering. But we could do deals with them and trade whichever one is the least impactful to that unit if they all developed properly. Teams work the cap and it’s def possible to make it work in a way that we could still evaluate who is the best moving forward based on how the team grows. But Payne has earned a deal as did Allen. But Sweat and Chase for various reasons haven’t IMO earned the types of deals they will command. So do you really let Payne walk and then you have two guys that still haven’t shown they are the level of player their ability should perform too? I would sign each of them as they show they deserve it and move on from whichever is the one that isn’t the best 3. Just because you play a premium position doesn’t mean their giving you premium production. I believe we need to sign the best players out of them based on their impact on the field not their potential impact. 
this is basically the drafting a OG debate to drafting a OT. Yes you always want the OT over the guard preferably but the position they play doesn’t make them a better player.

I think Sweat has been better than Payne.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I think Sweat has been better than Payne.

I love Sweat. And I had a super high grade on him. He has flashed a bunch. But this is a guy who should be 13 plus sacks a season. I think he will earn the contract he will get next offseason. And I think it’s close. But missed time and just not growing after improving his first two seasons last year I believe will be his outlier. But I do think Payne has been a much more consistent player. I think that gives Payne the edge for me. But I hold Tez to a high standard because I think he should show elite production because he’s a elite level player. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m super high on Turner. He was the best of the Nevada big 3 and when I started the draft thread last year doing my 2021 pre season grades I mentioned Turner and Doubs a lot because I saw a lot of really really raw traits. I’m happy we got the best of the bunch

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 1:04 PM, aceinthehouse said:

We got a really really good football player on our hands. Teams will struggle covering both he and Terry. These aren’t FA we paid these are guys we drafted in very excited. Also Duece has mad some really good plays as well I here.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, ripsean21 said:

I love Sweat. And I had a super high grade on him. He has flashed a bunch. But this is a guy who should be 13 plus sacks a season. I think he will earn the contract he will get next offseason. And I think it’s close. But missed time and just not growing after improving his first two seasons last year I believe will be his outlier. But I do think Payne has been a much more consistent player. I think that gives Payne the edge for me. But I hold Tez to a high standard because I think he should show elite production because he’s a elite level player. 

Payne has definitely been more consistent, I wish they had been able to trade him for something good this off-season. I’m worried he’s going to be franchised at least once next season or not & we’ll take the 3rd round comp pick. Then, draft a young DT to develop behind Allen while Mathis starts next year next to Allen. 

For me, as I’ve continuously said, it’s position importance and that Jon Allen is already making $20M plus per year. I love Payne, but I’m not paying 2 DTs near or over $20m a year. We need to allocate our salary cap space better throughout the roster.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think Payne has earned a Jon Allen type deal and that’s what he wants. There’s no way I’m paying Payne near $20 mil a year to be a run stuffer in a passing league & to get 5 or less sacks a year.

Those #s & production don’t add up to $20 mil per year. 

I don’t want to let Payne walk. I want to trade him for a pick/picks or a player from another team. I’ve been saying this for 2 years. He’s the one who we shouldn’t retain out of the 4. 

I don’t know why we sit here and act like Payne has been some stud for 4 years bc he hasn’t been. He’s been a good player for us, he hasn’t been near the player Jon Allen has been for us and he’s certainly not the leader that Allen is.

Sorry man, if I had my way he would’ve already been traded for picks or a players & a pick while we re-signed Settle & kept Ioannidis.

If we had done that, we could’ve drafted someone else in round 2 also instead of drafting a DT; like a DB or LB.

As for Chase & Sweat they have a few years to earn their next contract. DaRon Payne is up after this season. He also hasn’t earned a $70-$75 million contract. Paying him that kind of $ is bad for our team and salary cap now and in the future. You don’t pay good players elite $ at their position that’s how you become the  Washington Redskins of the last 30 years. You overpay for talent and try to sell your fanbase that it’s going to be different/be an improvement when it’s not.

I’m so happy Jon Allen got paid like I wanted instead of Payne, it was 100% the right move!

Now they need to Terry to an extension & sign/tag & trade Payne next off-season to someone who desperately needs a DT while we get picks or a player in a position we desperately need.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

So,, what are th Rules again.. Can we just I R him during OTAs ? Get an early start . Shut him down till August . !! Then cut him . 

From my understanding Samuels was given a rest day. Him being on the sidelines had nothing to do with him being injured.