Eagles stop ignoring the secondary and sign Bradberry away from the Giants

EaglesPeteC

36 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

call it negativity if you want, I call it hard truths, and somebody always needs to play devils advocate to keep you homers grounded, otherwise you'll all turn into Cowboy fans or even worse, ace.

Sometimes I wish I could go through life as happy and hopeful as he is. I can't hate on that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

What does Davis bring to the table that Cox didn't offer at the same spot last year? Davis is obviously bigger, but what specific skill is it that he can do that Fletcher Cox couldn't and was holding the scheme back?

I think it’s the fact that Davis will free up Fletch to do what he’s done best in his career, get up field. We all remember Cox’s specific disagreement with the scheme early last year. Most likely, Gannon making him play the role Davis will. Cox has been an adequate run defender. I think Davis will surpass him there if you’re asking specifically. But the real value will be letting Cox and Hargrave get in the QBs face as much as they want, as attacking is what they’re best at. Instead of making them hold gap assignment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Wasn't Steven Nelson rated about the same as Bradberry before he got here? I don't mean top 100 NFL rating, just coverage grades.

I though Nelson was considered good in coverage until he got here?

I thought he had a bad year going into fa ratings wise but was good the orevious ones

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Sometimes I wish I could go through life as happy and hopeful as he is. I can't hate on that. 

I was wondering what he would have predicted for the Eagles had he become an Eagle fan instead of a Washington fan. Undefeated season and MVP for Hurts sounds about right.

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

So all we really needed was a guy like Beau Allen, just one familiar with 2 gapping?

Big and comfortable 2 gapping. That's all we needed to make Gannon scheme go?
feel like we could have found that in round 4.

Except... Davis has the upside to be a special player that can do much more than just be a run stuffer. He was a great prospect as well as a position of need..... But yes, lets just blatantly oversimplify this I guess.

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Yea, but did you think higher of Nelson when we signed him vs right now?

I thought of him as a decent number 2 corner that was significantly better than the options we currently had on our roster. I was happy to get him, but I was under no illusions that he was going to come in and be a pro bowl corner.

He basically played how I thought he would solid zone corner who was abusable in man, but played safe enough he never got burnt. The anti Jalen Mills.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Except... Davis has the upside to be a special player that can do much more than just be a run stuffer. He was a great prospect as well as a position of need..... But yes, lets just blatantly oversimplify this I guess.

I don't really think it was a need position. Another year yea, but not this year. Cox, Hargrave, Milton, random guy is better than 70% of teams.

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

They will be rotating at the same spot. They will both be freeing up Milton and Hargrave, but Cox is still screwed.

I don’t think it’ll be anywhere near the way it was structured last year. The Reddick signing is evident of that. A lot of 3-4 looks are coming I think. Anytime you can push Fletch out from the ball, which will happen when Davis is on the field with him, it’s a good thing. He gets to attack and move OL for LBs to fill or get rush. We were basically all 4-2 last year. We can potentially run anything now. 

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I thought of him as a decent number 2 corner that was significantly better than the options we currently had on our roster. I was happy to get him, but I was under no illusions that he was going to come in and be a pro bowl corner.

He basically played how I thought he would solid zone corner who was abusable in man, but played safe enough he never got burnt. The anti Jalen Mills.

He was worse than I thought he'd be, based on what I read about his play prior to joining us. Hoping Gannon doesn't have the same effect on JB.

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t think it’ll be anywhere near the way it was structured last year. The Reddick signing is evident of that. A lot of 3-4 looks are coming I think. Anytime you can push Fletch out from the ball, which will happen when Davis is on the field with him, it’s a good thing. He gets to attack and move OL for LBs to fill or get rush. We were basically all 4-2 last year. We can potentially run anything now. 

Exactly. We can be so multiple in our fronts now. 3, 4, and 5 man fronts all on the table cause of Davis. An immediate upgrade to our base defense due to his ability to eat up blockers and squeeze holes.

We were basically forced to run 5 man fronts last season because our run defense was terrible early on and our DB's would have gotten toasted if they played up.