Eagles stop ignoring the secondary and sign Bradberry away from the Giants

EaglesPeteC

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

call it negativity if you want, I call it hard truths, and somebody always needs to play devils advocate to keep you homers grounded, otherwise you'll all turn into Cowboy fans or even worse, ace.

this is why we can’t have nice things 

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Are you expecting Jordan Davis to get DROY? I'm not expecting much from a rookie DT who has never had more than 2.5 sacks or 5.5 TFL in a season, no matter how great his combine was or how easy it is to say "He makes the scheme work". I expect him to have good run D, and that's about it. I like Nakobe Dean, but do I think rookie Nakobe Dean and White suddenly make our LB's "good"? Or that not having Jordan Davis was holding them back? No. I don't trust Kyzir White at all, and Dean is going to be a rookie making rookie mistakes who also needs to prove he can stay healthy. White is basically a poor mans Nakobe.

Reddick is a nice add, but we'll see how he's used. Bradberry is just taller Steven Nelson until I see otherwise.

We are better on paper, but so much of us being better is this hypothetical that Gannon needed Jordan Davis to make the scheme work. Pretty odd scheme if there is only 1 guy who can make it work, and he's a rookie DT who played half the snaps in college and will prob only play 25% of the snaps as rookie.

The only certainty is that Gannon was absolute crap against good QB's last year. Arguably the worst DC in the entire league when it came to scheming against above average or better QB's. I don't think Reddick + Bradberry + Jordan Davis + Nakobe + Kyzir changes that, all that much. And we still have Derek Barnett on the team to get us dumb penalties on 3rd and long.

Never said dpoy. Said we added multiple pieces. He's one of them for sure. There's reasons he never had more sacks and the was all explained in extreme detail over many articles and even on here. 

If anything needing Davis has me very intrigued. And he was the one that was needed to really open up his playbook. Tells me we're gonna get some unique concepts and such. 

I think you're reading into everyone's excitement the wrong way. Are we better yes, are we a SB team yet probably not. All comes down to hurts and Gannon. 

The one positive in this season is I didn't expect the SB team to be a SB team and on paper this team is better then that team imo. Not saying we're gonna be in the SB but it's an intriguing team

7 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Footballsfuture -> Philadelphia Eagles 

Ok.... where? You're making a broad claim that the forum as a whole is overrating this team. I haven't seen that at all. I have seen a couple more optimistic posters who think we are favorites to win the division, and few other posters who are not Eagles fans say similar things.... but I don't think there is anything backing your claim here. 

Maybe post some evidence of this overrating. Hell I looked through this thread and I see nothing about the greatness of this Eagles roster anywhere. 

Generally I think the majority of this forum is relatively on point with their analysis of this team and I have yet to see anything different this offseason.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

I see Davis the same way Ngata relit Lewis’ career. They needed that anchor to free up the other guys. I agree with that Twitter account, Davis will make everyone’s job easier. I’m not trying to go overboard and I don’t think Davis will get his accolades until the league gets wise to his impact but I’m excited for him. Mainly because I see other guys flourishing around him. In my pedestrian football mind, I was excited for the DEs and the LBs mostly but as that Twitter guy writes over and over, the DBs should experience some help too. And that’s really where we need the help. But alas, I’m expecting way too much at this point.  There’s no way Davis can impact as much as I think. At least not year 1. 

This is a huge get for us and I won't be told otherwise. Bradberry on his worst day is still miles better than Steven Nelson in his best day. 

No more excuses for Gannon, he's got a pretty solid unit so it's time for him to put up or shutup. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If anything needing Davis has me very intrigued. And he was the one that was needed to really open up his playbook. Tells me we're gonna get some unique concepts and such. 

What does Davis bring to the table that Cox didn't offer at the same spot last year? Davis is obviously bigger, but what specific skill is it that he can do that Fletcher Cox couldn't and was holding the scheme back?

Edited by Jeezla

5 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

This is a huge get for us and I won't be told otherwise. Bradberry on his worst day is still miles better than Steven Nelson in his best day. 

No more excuses for Gannon, he's got a pretty solid unit so it's time for him to put up or shutup. 

Wasn't Steven Nelson rated about the same as Bradberry before he got here? I don't mean top 100 NFL rating, just coverage grades.

I though Nelson was considered good in coverage until he got here?

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

Agreed. I need to see some actual defense early. Gannon, who was sought after for a HC job and thought to be a very bright mind, didn’t impress me at all last year. Yes, the personnel wasn’t exactly what we wanted or needed but like you said, Howie went and got him some major pieces. Defense needs to be top 8 or so for me to really get Gannon. That and some QB pressure and mistakes. It needs to be entirely more aggressive. The 75% completion rate, 15 play clock killer, TD possessions have to end. 

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

What does Davis bring to the table that Cox didn't offer at the same spot last year? Davis is obviously bigger, but what specific skill is it that he can do that Fletcher Cox couldn't and was holding the scheme back?

Size and comfort playing a 2 gap scheme. Pretty simple really lol. Cox himself last season said he wasn't comfortable playing in Gannon's scheme early on.

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Size and comfort playing a 2 gap scheme. Pretty simple really lol. Cox himself last season said he wasn't comfortable playing in Gannon's scheme early on.

So all we really needed was a guy like Beau Allen, just one familiar with 2 gapping?

Big and comfortable 2 gapping. That's all we needed to make Gannon scheme go?
feel like we could have found that in round 4.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

Wasn't Steven Nelson rated about the same as Bradberry before he got here? I don't mean top 100 NFL rating, just coverage grades.

I though Nelson was considered good in coverage until he got here?

The league pretty clearly views the two players completely differently. Look at their career earnings for a hint.