New Stadium Thread

e16bball

36 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Too many sports bring in political ideology. ESPN are making their programming hard to watch. As long as you’re on the same side of the media you won’t get punished. 
JDR wasn’t. 

JDR was the one that made the political statement.  Regardless of what the opinion is, he’s an employee of a very public organization and with how polarized everything has become if you make a political statement you’re likely to piss off half the country.  It was a stupid comment to make for a guy that works for an organization that relies on its income from fans, and and organization that is begging for a lot of tax dollars for a new stadium.  He also could piss off some of his own players.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It has nothing to do with their job. Changing your vote because of ones political affiliation is not what they were voted in to do. They were voted in to make the best decisions for the people of the state they represent regardless of party line but this is about as far as we should go with this conversation. 

They’re in the legislature. You don’t have to agree with their reasoning for changing their vote but as elected officials it is definitely within their job to do so. If you don’t like it and you are their consistent you can vote for their opponent next election.

Edited by turtle28

35 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

JDR was the one that made the political statement.  Regardless of what the opinion is, he’s an employee of a very public organization and with how polarized everything has become if you make a political statement you’re likely to piss off half the country.  It was a stupid comment to make for a guy that works for an organization that relies on its income from fans, and and organization that is begging for a lot of tax dollars for a new stadium.  He also could piss off some of his own players.  

I agree with you that JDR should not have made the statement and like you said it’s going to piss off someone or some group. World we live in. Free speech isn’t free. The media is a big part of the problem mixing politics and sports, they ruin the experience especially if you’re a big fan. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Free speech in America . what a wonderful concept . 

I think this fine was the right thing to do.  It has nothing to do with free speech, it has to do with representing your organization and lets be clear, this is a very public business.  Players and coaches are public figures and in many cases considered role models.  

Every year dozens of players get themselves into trouble with something they say or get caught doing on social media which offends people.  Organizations are constantly trying to control this messaging.  It helps no one to have these negative distractions.  Sometimes it isn't even the player but a friend or family member that creates these distractions.  In some cases it even hurts a player getting a new contract or relationship with a franchise.  Heck, didn't one of Haskins issues come when there were pictures of him partying on social media when we are in a covid lockdown? 

The real question here is how can a team expect to control player messaging when the coaches are out of control?  Leadership rolls down hill.

And make no mistake this is clearly a distraction and a negative issue when this is the big topic for a week during OTAs instead of the players on the field.

Now personally, if I had my way, Rivera would have fined Del Rio for putting such a crappy defense on the field last season.

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I agree with you that JDR should not have made the statement and like you said it’s going to piss off someone or some group. World we live in. Free speech isn’t free. The media is a big part of the problem mixing politics and sports, they ruin the experience especially if you’re a big fan. 

If you want to see how slimey the media and sports writers can get just go watch Dan Steinberg dig into Patrick Corbin’s favorites on twitter and post them as an article. The whole thing is creepy. How people still have and participate in social media in this time is beyond me? I got rid of every social media account I had 5 years ago and never looked back. Didn’t deactivate them, actually took the time to completely delete them.

Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want but you have to be able to read the room. If you’re on the same side as JDR you have to be more careful and just keep it to yourself. Speak with your vote. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taylor made said:

You know the news is slow when the highlight of the week is this crap 

I knew someone would post something about it. I had been waiting on it like the Sword of Damocles over my head. Just want to nip things in the bud before we go too far and someone says something they shouldn't. Like all people, I have opinions on this, but this isn't the place for them.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Everyone knows that in private industry we don’t have true free speech. You can’t go into a movie theater and yell fire if there is no fire. Private industry has the freedom to protect/regulate their speech w/in the law.

If they don’t like how an employee is acting or what they say, they can fine them, suspend them or fire them.

This has been true for centuries. Boses hire & fire.

I think the funny thing too me is I think ultimately they are gonna be forced to either sell the team or buy a stadium without state funding which IMO means they will be either at Fed Ex or the land they put in a bid for in VA. DC is dead. They will never play in DC again and I think that’s just how it will be. Residents of DC are no longer the old school generations born and raised they are all now there working generally from other places here for work.
There’s no longer a district full of Washington fans. And honestly views aside they just don’t really have consistent representation. This lady flip flops her direction at the drop of the first dollar that comes her way so that ships dead. As far as VA goes they have two different demographics and they fight each other on each issue like congress currently. Then MD has stated they will help fund other projects such as metro and outside infrastructure around the area which has already started across the beltway. Snyder isn’t going to get funding as long as he owns the team unless this team was to make a NFC title game this season or further. 
Snyder I believe would love to have a commanders complex like Jerry’s park in Dallas. Where headquarters stadium and entertainment complex are all together.i don’t believe there is the space around Fed Ex even if they build the new stadium closer to the metro then tear down Def Ex and put the complex around where the stadium sits. It’s crazy too me we’re here but until the team makes real results nobody will ever jump to throw money at it because of how getting in bed with Snyder has ended for everyone else

11 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I think the funny thing too me is I think ultimately they are gonna be forced to either sell the team or buy a stadium without state funding which IMO means they will be either at Fed Ex or the land they put in a bid for in VA. DC is dead. They will never play in DC again and I think that’s just how it will be. Residents of DC are no longer the old school generations born and raised they are all now there working generally from other places here for work.
There’s no longer a district full of Washington fans. And honestly views aside they just don’t really have consistent representation. This lady flip flops her direction at the drop of the first dollar that comes her way so that ships dead. As far as VA goes they have two different demographics and they fight each other on each issue like congress currently. Then MD has stated they will help fund other projects such as metro and outside infrastructure around the area which has already started across the beltway. Snyder isn’t going to get funding as long as he owns the team unless this team was to make a NFC title game this season or further. 
Snyder I believe would love to have a commanders complex like Jerry’s park in Dallas. Where headquarters stadium and entertainment complex are all together.i don’t believe there is the space around Fed Ex even if they build the new stadium closer to the metro then tear down Def Ex and put the complex around where the stadium sits. It’s crazy too me we’re here but until the team makes real results nobody will ever jump to throw money at it because of how getting in bed with Snyder has ended for everyone else

Snyder will never build a stadium without public money.  He will just relocate to a city that will give it to him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Snyder will never build a stadium without public money.  He will just relocate to a city that will give it to him.

Is that the worse thing that could happen at this point? Give all of us a chance to pick a new team or wait for a new one. I mean it’s too big a market to not have a team. But the thing is would the NFL allow him to abandon this market?

On 6/12/2022 at 9:19 PM, MKnight82 said:

I don’t think Dan Snyder will move the team. He’s a fan first and foremost, he and his father used to go to games together. I don’t see him moving the team. He’ll find a way to