I don't understand why Baker gets so much hate

Championshiporbust

41 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

And if you really wanted to take some souls you need to go back to the Lamar vs Baker threads in 18/19/20 offseasons šŸ‘€

I would say this is cherry picking a bit, as most didn't think Lamar would be such an explosive running back; thus comparing him to several quarterbacks back then are now "egg on face" moments retrospectively.Ā 

TL;DR Everyone was wrong about Lamar

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

until they were right again šŸ˜ƒ.

41 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Or the consensus QB thread last offseason where it was a ton of ā€œcant wait for Baker to prove all of you wrongā€ haha

That was just me spamming. Also, the quoted paraphrase isn't really soul-taking as all that happened since then is one year with a ton of injuries that he'll most likely make a full recovery from. I wouldn't say anything was proven either way last year, just a TBD. What if Baker starts this year and looks good? What if Lamar starts to get more banged up? Does that prove that his style of football can't last or is it just one year where the guy cracks a rib, bruises his sternum and gets a mild sprain that hangs on for five weeks?Ā 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

There really was. There was a thread in the comparisons forum around that time and I'm pretty sure that there were comments about him going to the hall of fame.Ā 

If he goes to the right team and has support for the long-term as face of the franchise, sky is the limit. Will we get to see that theoretical play out after all this Watson intrigue, who knows? It could have played out had Baker not gotten injured and the team sent OBJ out in the off-season--hindsight, of course.

And HOF talk after breaking the rookie record on an absolute trash team, truly loving football, some very clutch moments, it's reasonable to speak into existence a possibility. Herbert fans were talking that way after his rookie season and I say the conversation is valid. It's different to talk about potential than saying stuff like a guy is a lock first-ballot etc., which I'm guessing is not what you would find in those HOF convos.

It's so weird that a guy gets seriously injured and folks are using that as any kind of point when it happens all the time with other players and nobody, which includes at least half if not more of the fair-weather Browns forum, is criticizing literally anyone else for getting injured one season like they are Baker.Ā 

Ā 

19 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If he goes to the right team and has support for the long-term as face of the franchise, sky is the limit. Will we get to see that theoretical play out after all this Watson intrigue, who knows? It could have played out had Baker not gotten injured and the team sent OBJ out in the off-season--hindsight, of course.

And HOF talk after breaking the rookie record on an absolute trash team, truly loving football, some very clutch moments, it's reasonable to speak into existence a possibility. Herbert fans were talking that way after his rookie season and I say the conversation is valid. It's different to talk about potential than saying stuff like a guy is a lock first-ballot etc., which I'm guessing is not what you would find in those HOF convos.

It's so weird that a guy gets seriously injured and folks are using that as any kind of point when it happens all the time with other players and nobody, which includes at least half if not more of the fair-weather Browns forum, is criticizing literally anyone else for getting injured one season like they are Baker.Ā 

Ā 

Nobody should be thinking someone is going to the HOF 10 games into a players career. You're probably right in that it was lonely a more guarded prognostication and not just like, "baker is going to the hall!", but still lol (and just to be clear, it wasn't multiple people or anything. Just one person, but I can't remember who it was)

It's so weird to me that people keep bringing up his injury as though that's the determining factor in how people feel about Baker. He was perfectly healthy before last year started and there was a not too small contingent of people who thought he was mehĀ 

23 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I would say this is cherry picking a bit, as most didn't think Lamar would be such an explosive running back; thus comparing him to several quarterbacks back then are now "egg on face" moments retrospectively.Ā 

TL;DR Everyone was wrong about Lamar

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

until they were right again šŸ˜ƒ.

That was just me spamming. Also, the quoted paraphrase isn't really soul-taking as all that happened since then is one year with a ton of injuries that he'll most likely make a full recovery from. I wouldn't say anything was proven either way last year, just a TBD. What if Baker starts this year and looks good? What if Lamar starts to get more banged up? Does that prove that his style of football can't last or is it just one year where the guy cracks a rib, bruises his sternum and gets a mild sprain that hangs on for five weeks?Ā 

Listen pal.

One is a HOF RB in his prime.

The other will be running back his air freshener orders on Prime because boy does he stink

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Listen pal.

No, you listen pal!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Okay, I'm listening.Ā 

One is a HOF RB in his prime.

ā˜ŗļøšŸ„°šŸ˜

The other will be running back his air freshener orders on Prime because boy does he stink

6.5/10

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Not too shabby.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Browns fans were harsh on Baker last season but the way you guys hyped him up after his third season was insane. The Browns were supposed to be a super bowl contender last season. He got hurt and that definitely affected his play last year. But as I said before the reason he gets so much hate has a lot to do with the fact that Browns fans hyped him up so much and were wrong.Ā 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Posters that said they thought Baker would be a top 10 QB:

ā€¢ WizeGuy *** Not a Browns fan

ā€¢ CandyMan

ā€¢ Akron's Witness

ā€¢ Showtime *** Not a Browns fan

ā€¢ iloxygenil *** Not a Browns fan

ā€¢ FGK

ā€¢ Carls_Jr ??? Unsure on this one

ā€¢ Mega Ron

ā€¢Ā Dr A W Niloc *** Not a Browns fan

ā€¢Ā Kiwibrown

ā€¢Ā Thomas5737

ā€¢ Kirill *** Not a Browns fan

ā€¢ DawgX

The list goes on forever.

You list 13 examples, 5 of those I have never seen post in the Browns forum in all my years on this and the old site. One I have seen around but not sure if he is a Browns fan or random poster in there. So 40-45% of your proof that "Browns fans" were all the ones pimping him is BS.Ā 

• Like 2

Just now, pscottdai said:

You list 13 examples, 5 of those I have never seen post in the Browns forum in all my years on this and the old site. One I have seen around but not sure if he is a Browns fan or random poster in there. So 40-45% of your proof that "Browns fans" were all the ones pimping him is BS.Ā 

The Browns were high on him after his third season and viewed the team as a potential contender coming into this season. The hype he received, all of his media promotion, and his brash personality are all reasons that people don't like him.Ā 

I think the hate has definitely gotten out of hand though, he can still be good in the right situation.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Browns fans were harsh on Baker last season but the way you guys hyped him up after his third season was insane.

Harsh is an understatement. Folks kept the pitchforks under the bed even during the good times.Ā 

I would say he wasn't really that hyped, though, the point we are mostly debating. Thinking he was turning into a top 8-10-12 (which is IMO not elite but very good; there usually aren't more than 6-8 elite QBs at a time, if that) QB isn't that wild an idea based on seasons one and three. IMO you're really underselling the potential he was showing, some real high highs.Ā 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Browns were supposed to be a super bowl contender last season. He got hurt and that definitely affected his play last year. But as I said before the reason he gets so much hate has a lot to do with the fact that Browns fans hyped him up so much and were wrong.Ā 

Baker getting injured last year invalidated any useful assessment on what his trajectory is moving forward. I will again state that the prior sentence would not be controversialĀ unless it was Baker; a quarterback getting injured and without an injury history should not be getting dragged over it.

Itā€™s hard to call it ā€œBaker hateā€ when itā€™s just an acknowledgment that heā€™s not a good QB or locker room guy.

The only real ā€œBaker Hateā€ I would call is from Browns fans who constantly told us he was the bees knees but broke their necks changing gears into how ā€œhe was never the answer and they knew itā€ in order to preserve some desperate attempts at a moral high ground in their impending support of a terrible person like Deshaun Watson.Ā 
Ā 

the true haters of Baker are the Browns organization and their fans at this point. The Browns organization knows they donā€™t care about Deshaun Watson abusing women so they had to make the signing about how Baker isnā€™t an adult and they had no other choice. Thatā€™s where it graduates from an acknowledgment Baker is a mediocre QB to an actual hate-on, imo

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

CandyMan:

Akron's Witness:

Showtime:

iloxygenil:

FGK:

We can go on, and on, and on.

Showtime and Iloxygenil arenā€™t browns fans. Thatā€™s my point man. Even AW is a Broncos and Browns fan.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Posters that said they thought Baker would be a top 10 QB:

ā€¢ WizeGuy

ā€¢ CandyMan

ā€¢ Akron's Witness

ā€¢ Showtime

ā€¢ iloxygenil

ā€¢ FGK

ā€¢ Carls_Jr

ā€¢ Mega Ron

ā€¢Ā Dr A W Niloc

ā€¢Ā Kiwibrown

ā€¢Ā Thomas5737

ā€¢ Kirill

ā€¢ DawgX

The list goes on forever.

Again, 6 guys in that list not Browns fans.Ā 

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Harsh is an understatement. Folks kept the pitchforks under the bed even during the good times.

This isnā€™t true. I kept mine mounted on my wall right beside my Kelly Holcomb jersey shadow boxĀ 

• Like 2