I don't understand why Baker gets so much hate

Championshiporbust

There does not have to be a contextual reason for disliking Baker Mayfield the QB besides his awful passer rating rankings and his all-time pathetic 3rd down QB rating and his smarmy selfish image.

You don't need a 3rd party hyping him to get artificial reason to find flaws in someone who is pretty much 60% flaws.

He should be blasted as a 20th overall pick. As a 1st overall pick you can't really blast him enough.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Is throwing out a prediction of Baker elevating to a top 10 QB after that playoff season, really considered pimping?

I don’t remember what I felt on the manner, but I wouldn’t exactly have fallen over laughing at that call. People are wrong all the time, shrug. Maybe my memory on the hype isn’t that strong.

Your memory is accurate. Somehow "elite" has been trojan horsed into being the same claim as top 8-10, which is not really pimping a guy who was only finishing year-3 on a historically bad team that just advanced in the playoffs.

And yet here we are. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Is throwing out a prediction of Baker elevating to a top 10 QB after that playoff season, really considered pimping?

I don’t remember what I felt on the manner, but I wouldn’t exactly have fallen over laughing at that call. People are wrong all the time, shrug. Maybe my memory on the hype isn’t that strong.

Yes considering Baker Mayfield was just above average and got carried by the run game against a charmin soft schedule.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yes considering Baker Mayfield was just above average and got carried by the run game against a charmin soft schedule.

There was pimping for sure, some of the quotes you took highlight that. 

Predicting he makes a jump isn’t exactly pimping, though. That’s predicting. It’s part of the hype, but wouldn’t call that overhype.

Guys make jumps every year (and reverse, guys expected to make a jump do not). Predicting a guy, who has upward momentum off of a solid season, to make another jump into the bottom of the top 10, isn’t really pimping. If that’s the case then I guess no one should ever expect any of their players to make leaps in their careers. We should probably go into that “who is your dark horse QB” thread or whatever it’s called and call everyone out for pimping Zach Wilson and Jared Goff.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

There was pimping for sure, some of the quotes you took highlight that. 

Predicting he makes a jump isn’t exactly pimping, though. That’s predicting. It’s part of the hype, but wouldn’t call that overhype.

Guys make jumps every year (and reverse, guys expected to make a jump do not). Predicting a guy, who has upward momentum off of a solid season, to make another jump into the bottom of the top 10, isn’t really pimping. If that’s the case then I guess no one should ever expect any of their players to make leaps in their careers. We should probably go into that “who is your dark horse QB” thread or whatever it’s called and call everyone out for pimping Zach Wilson and Jared Goff.

Browns fans were acting like he was that guy though after the playoff win. I don't care either way my point has been that the Browns fans here just hyped him up and defended him at such an extreme level that it made a lot of people not like him on here. 

Saying that Goff or Wilson could improve this year isn't the same as debating for 50 pages that they're better than a former league MVP and a top 10 QB, lol. It'd be like Lions fans arguing that Goff is better than Josh Allen.

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Browns fans were acting like he was that guy though after the playoff win. I don't care either way my point has been that the Browns fans here just hyped him up and defended him at such an extreme level that it made a lot of people not like him on here. 

I'm sure Raiders fans would act the same way about Carr if he ever won a playoff game.

Sometimes I feel like people associate him with Manziel a little too much as he was a young QB drafted by the Browns probably a little higher than many expected who was a bit brass in college. Some people thought he would just be another repeat of that 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Sometimes I feel like people associate him with Manziel a little too much as he was a young QB drafted by the Browns probably a little higher than many expected who was a bit brass in college. Some people thought he would just be another repeat of that 

Ppl associate him with the Browns who wrote the doctoral thesis on QB incompetence. He’s better than his recent predecessors but it’s impossible to take CLE seriously when it comes to the position.  And it certainly doesn’t help that they traded for and gave the most guaranteed money ever to a sexual predator. 

Edited by thrILL!

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm sure Raiders fans would act the same way about Carr if he ever won a playoff game.

I think our fanbase has accepted Carr for what he is, an above average starter. We haven't really ever seen him in an ideal situation, our defense has been terrible almost his entire career, and we've had limited talent around him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think our fanbase has accepted Carr for what he is, an above average starter. We haven't really ever seen him in an ideal situation, our defense has been terrible almost his entire career, and we've had limited talent around him. 

We'll see if anything changes if he wins a playoff game. You said Browns fans were calling him top 10 after that, we'll see what Raider fans do if Carr wins a playoff game. Maybe the same thing will happen, can't know until it happens.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We'll see if anything changes if he wins a playoff game. You said Browns fans were calling him top 10 after that, we'll see what Raider fans do if Carr wins a playoff game. Maybe the same thing will happen, can't know until it happens.

It didn't help Jimmy g on this forum, but there are some crazy Jimmy G stans on Twitter because of those post season runs even though he was objectively bad

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

It didn't help Jimmy g on this forum, but there are some crazy Jimmy G stans on Twitter because of those post season runs even though he was objectively bad

Imagine him throwing 3 times as many TDs and half of the picks in the post season. 12 TD vs 3 INT instead of 4 TD and 6 INT. That's what Baker is averaging per game, 2 TD and .5 INT.

Yeah, that may get fans going more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Even if we win the Super Bowl I don't think anyone will consider Carr a top 10 QB. It's also different because Baker was going from year 3 to 4, we have an 8 year sample size of Carr. But keep taking shots, lol. What happened when we played you guys the last two seasons?