I don't understand why Baker gets so much hate

Championshiporbust

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

He’s been the most polarizing guy they’ve had in a decade. I don’t think you understand that half of Browns fans were not Baker fans.

I don't want to hear it, last offseason Baker could walk on water and was potentially the GOAT.

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't want to hear it, last offseason Baker could walk on water and was potentially the GOAT.

Continue to live in your own fantasy land then. Come observe the Baker thread in our forum and spend a few hours reading through it, otherwise feel free to troll without doing your own due diligence.

• Like 1

He's an average QB that was picked #1 for some reason, and acts like he has Brady's resume.  You can get good production out of him if everything around him is perfect, just like Andy Dalton was a top 5 QB in 2015 (only 2015) with a loaded team around him (until he got hurt, he was a legit MVP candidate).

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Some of us didn't even like him coming out college for legit reasons and a lot of those same reasons proved to be true which played in a big part in doubting him.

I personally didn't care for the entire 2018 QB class and I've said this on many occasions. I didn't like Mitch at all and I hated the Bears for it. The reasons why myself and others proved to be true. I didn't' like Watson either for different reasons and he proved me wrong. I said before the draft that Mayfield had the best chance to succeed but as soon as I found out his arrogant ego was being paired with Todd Haley's ego I questioned if it would work. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

These are all reasonable points. I don't see much criticisms of him in this thread being about his playing ability in college, though, but more in line with the "he has that embarrassing drunk video" in college type of stuff. He was great at Oklahoma. He won the Heisman for it. At least back up what you hated about his play at Oklahoma and why it wouldn't work. It looked like until he got injured that it was working out just fine.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The point is, it has nothing to do with people "trying to be right" as much it is that people already had reserved issues about Baker and all he did was prove them right.

This is not a solid point.  He really didn't prove them right. He broke the rookie record with Haley. Haley is Haley, but your prediction there was wrong. You're really just agreeing with me that folks just don't like the guy (unless you have more to add(?)). There are plenty of things to critique with Baker (there are with Mahomes as well; critique itself doesn't prove a player's quality or lack, though), but what exactly were folks proven right about on top of what I went over in my post? I'm not following.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He’s been the most polarizing guy they’ve had in a decade. I don’t think you understand that half of Browns fans were not Baker fans.

Yeah, I seem to remember the media hyping Mayfield up way more than I saw actual Browns fans falling all over themselves for the guy. 

The media loved the Browns story of going from the bottom to becoming a playoff contender, some morbid curiosity too I'm sure. And Baker was the QB that just happened to play pretty good in that long awaited Browns run. Thus, Mayfield got the royal treatment from talking heads and casual NFL fans. But from Browns fans specifically? I never saw much of it, and they watch the team enough to know it wasn't all Mayfield that helped them win. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Forge said:

There's a certain degree of irony in saying people are prisoners of the moment with regards to his 2021 season while also saying he was arguably a top 10 QB after 2020 because of a really nice stretch of 8-10 games that year at the end of the season. 

Against mostly awful teams throwing like 20 times/game.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yeah, I seem to remember the media hyping Mayfield up way more than I saw actual Browns fans falling all over themselves for the guy. 

The media loved the Browns story of going from the bottom to becoming a playoff contender, some morbid curiosity too I'm sure. And Baker was the QB that just happened to play pretty good in that long awaited Browns run. Thus, Mayfield got the royal treatment from talking heads and casual NFL fans. But from Browns fans specifically? I never saw much of it, and they watch the team enough to know it wasn't all Mayfield that helped them win. 

37 pages of people proclaiming things like:

At the rate he is playing at I would say he is top 5 by the end of the year. He is outplaying the likes of Aaron Rodgers by just a touch. The fact that he is on the level of Rodgers in his 4th year shows that he is elite. 

100 qb rating top 7 seven qb .

He is top ten. Doesn’t throw as many TD’s as some would expect of a top ten QB, but no one so far has stopped us running them in. 
Why risk a pass when you can run it in. Lot less risk to that. What Baker does do is get the team into the Redzone with great efficiency. How the touch down is scored doesn’t matter.

@Ray Reed remembers, Browns fans were arguing for days that Baker was better than Carr and Lamar.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

37 pages of people proclaiming things like:

@Ray Reed remembers, Browns fans were arguing for days that Baker was better than Carr and Lamar.

No, we were arguing for days that Lamar didn't have the build to hold up running between the tackles as anything but a change of pace guy.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I really have to ask why you're trying so hard with so little support for your narrative. Several Browns posters have already said what you're saying is not true and most of them never liked Baker. That thread doesn't say at all what you are claiming. In fact, it supports that almost nobody was backing Baker as a lock to be elite. Just like at the poll 😆. I think you remember a few of us doing our best to counter all the weak arguments at the time that said Baker sucked (many of those being based on personality) but was only a couple folks. There has been an anti-Baker mob since before he was even drafted and nothing has changed.

Simply put, you're imagining something that never happened. Another poster pointed out that the media ran with Basket is garbage and then when he played well ran with Basket next big thing. The fans never bit.  The majority of football fans, including and especially Browns fans--most wanted Darnold, probably 80%--didn't believe in him from the get-go and were skeptical even when he set the passing record and then the playoffs. Browns fans are very negative people :) and even winning doesn't convince them. 

Edited by NudeTayne

Just now, NudeTayne said:

I really have to ask why you're trying so hard with so little support for your narrative. Several Browns posters have already said what you're saying is not true and most of them never liked Baker. That thread doesn't say at all what you are claiming. In fact, it supports that almost nobody was backing Baker as a lock to be elite. I think you remember a few of us doing our best to counter all the weak arguments at the time that said Baker sucked (many of those being based on personality).

CandyMan:

Yes

The top 5-10 is murky and debatable.

Akron's Witness:

I mean I thought it was pretty clear he was already in that 8-12 range--but its hard to believe with his 2nd year in the same system (finally) with a coach that actually knows what he is doing that he wont improve just a little bit. 

I dont expect Baker to ever be in that top top tier of QBs with the Mahomes, Rodgers, ect but I think the odds are better than not that he stays in that 2nd tier 5-10 range for the next decade.

Hes already the most accurate deep ball passer in the NFL and can improve some more in his footwork/short pass recognition. If the latter happens this year then I dont see why he wouldnt be considered top 5-8.

Showtime:

Yeah, I like Mayfield. I think he's already a borderline top 10 QB.

Biggest question for me is Odell Beckham Jr. He seems to play better in general when Beckham Jr. is not there, which doesn't make sense. Maybe he feels he has to force feed the ball to Beckham Jr., and that negatively impacts his game. Hopefully Beckham Jr. can stay healthy this season and those two play great together.

iloxygenil:

I do think Mayfield is top 10 with top 5 potential 

FGK:

Football Outsiders has him #8 in their "Pull every QB out of their offense, how good are they" rankings.

We can go on, and on, and on.

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I really have to ask why you're trying so hard with so little support for your narrative.

My narrative is correct, one of the reasons he gets so much hate is because he was touted as a potential top 10, elite level QB before last season.