Kyler Murray and Cardinals agree to extension (46.1M / yr)

Forge

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Undisclosed sources have confirmed that Kyler Murray will donate the last 1/3 of his game checks every season in a show of goodwill for his unique ability to fall off the cliff.

first 3 seasons 

Team W/L

games 1-8:  15-9

games 9-16/17:  9-17

TD/INT

Games 1-8:  40/18

Games 9-16/17:   30/16

yards per game  (rough estimate)

games 1-8:  265

games 9-16/17:  215

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I fail to see what this has to do w/ the subject..... someone said Brady is 16th and I suggested that I thought he remembered that he always took team friendly deals. WHY he took them is irrelevant, right?

Why he took them is very relevant? If your discussing a player who took less money to play for a championship contender then it’s relevant to that discussion. A guy whose wife makes more money then he does, can take less money to allow his teammates to make more, to keep the team competitive. 

12 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Why he took them is very relevant? If your discussing a player who took less money to play for a championship contender then it’s relevant to that discussion. A guy whose wife makes more money then he does, can take less money to allow his teammates to make more, to keep the team competitive. 

So if the QB's wife makes 10% less than he does, should the QB then go for the max contract?  Where is the cutoff on how much the spouse makes before the "taking less" happens?

I feel like the best analysis of this, is this is something the Arizona Cardinals simultaneously had to do, but also probably shouldn't have. It would be a really bold move to move on from a QB like Murray, even given the cost, but I do feel like if you give a QB that kind of money, the return almost has to be a superbowl at some point within the terms of that contract, and I don't see that as likely, personally. It's a move you had to make that probably won't justify it's price tag in the end.

I really want to see one of these teams choose not to pay the young franchise QB. Don't really care who, I just want to see some team finally pull the trigger on not pulling the trigger, and see how it ends up for them. I get why it's tough for a team, though. Even if you're not high on Murray, a guy of his talent means every year you have the potential to compete, and will probably be an above average team. And it's hard to sell on that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont get the concept of every QB due for an extension needs to become one of the newly highest paid players at their position.

Well, there was one QB who won the Super Bowl this year, got a new contract and did not do that. So it's not every QB.

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I feel like the best analysis of this, is this is something the Arizona Cardinals simultaneously had to do, but also probably shouldn't have. It would be a really bold move to move on from a QB like Murray, even given the cost, but I do feel like if you give a QB that kind of money, the return almost has to be a superbowl at some point within the terms of that contract, and I don't see that as likely, personally. It's a move you had to make that probably won't justify it's price tag in the end.

I really want to see one of these teams choose not to pay the young franchise QB. Don't really care who, I just want to see some team finally pull the trigger on not pulling the trigger, and see how it ends up for them. I get why it's tough for a team, though. Even if you're not high on Murray, a guy of his talent means every year you have the potential to compete, and will probably be an above average team. And it's hard to sell on that.

I think this move pretty much guarantees they won't win the Super Bowl.

But if you're a franchise who hasn't experienced a ton of success like the Cardinals, its probably worth it to have a polarizing player like Murray for jersey sales, ticket sales and general exposure.

8 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think deep playoff runs, home playoff games would be " enough" and not necessarily a Superbowl.   2-3 conference title games, division titles. 

8 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Baltimore might be that team

20 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Washington essentially did this with Cousins. Not saying Cousins had the ceiling of a Murray, but he is a QB that you can win games with. I think most would argue that move has come to hurt them more than help, but it isn't like the Vikings have exactly been tearing the league apart either so it is hard to say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I would've traded him and got the haul TBH, Kyler is great for 10 games but that body mixed with his play style isn't made for a 17 game NFL season + playoff.

Did you see their QB situation before him? I'd say him staying healthy is a far safer bet than finding another franchise QB. None of the picks they would get for him would matter one bit if whoever they replace him with sucks.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So if the QB's wife makes 10% less than he does, should the QB then go for the max contract?  Where is the cutoff on how much the spouse makes before the "taking less" happens?

That’s not my decision to make, but it could make an impact on the player’s choice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Why can't a player take less money to keep the team competitive regardless of what his spouse makes?

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Why can't a player take less money to keep the team competitive regardless of what his spouse makes?

Why would the players willingly give leverage to the owners and GMs when it comes to contract negotiations? It isnt just about them or the team they play for, its about the guys after them as well.

• Like 1