Kyler Murray and Cardinals agree to extension (46.1M / yr)

Forge

8 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I mean, he literally was. He easily could have been the highest paid QB in the league in 05, but took less than Peyton and Vick. https://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2054072

Unless I'm remembering wrong, isn't the one-upmanship deal a new trend; within the last decade?

I don't remember each QB deal resetting the market back then.

Just a quick search has Brady becoming the highest paid player in NFL history with his new deal in 2010. Is that wrong?

17 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Unless I'm remembering wrong, isn't the one-upmanship deal a new trend; within the last decade?

I don't remember each QB deal resetting the market back then.

Just a quick search has Brady becoming the highest paid player in NFL history with his new deal in 2010. Is that wrong?

Probably partially influenced to the diversification of metrics that teams/fans can use to quantify a player's success. Companies like Football Outsiders that create new metrics fairly regularly, and companies like Pro Football Focus that give their own success ratings to players, creates more opportunity for the player to pump up their own value in negotiations.

Kyler Murray, for example, is the NFL's top rated deep passer (attempts beyond 20 yards) according to PFF, and the NFL's 3rd-best deep passer according to Next Gen Stats in 2021 (98 score out of 99). He was ALSO the NFL's 3rd-best deep passer in 2020, once again according to Next Gen Stats. He has a big arm, is super accurate, and is undoubtedly in conversation for the best at creating huge plays when protection breaks down (which is fairly often with the Cards' current group up front, but not as bad as it was in 2019). 

But yeah, for Kyler, when you combine the fact that you're the league's best deep passer, or at worst top 3, with your rare ability to operate both from the pocket and on the move, and top of the league escapability, you can press for a top-tier contract. Because now you have empirical data backing you up, whereas in the past it was bulk stats and the eye test.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-nfl-deep-passers-of-2021-three-qbs-playing-for-new-teams-i

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/27/kyler-murray-is-the-pro-football-focus-leader-in-deep-passing-performance/

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-deep-passers-of-2020-aaron-rodgers-lands-at-no-4

19 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Is this true tho. Kyler is basically on a 7 year contract at 39 apy

That's not how that works. The contract he just signed is 5 year $230.5M. You don't include the years left pre-extension when talking about new contracts. This would've been done equally for each player listed, as well. Josh Allen signed a 6 year $258M deal. That's what is calculated, not the 7 years and $277M he has left counting the end of his rookie deal. Mahomes didn't signed a 12 year $480M contract, he signed a 10 year $450M contract. You're trying to combine two contracts and then call it one. And that would make it look like every player signing an extension from their rookie deal is making less than a vet signing an extension.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

That's not how that works. The contract he just signed is 5 year $230.5M. You don't include the years left pre-extension when talking about new contracts. This would've been done equally for each player listed, as well. Josh Allen signed a 6 year $258M deal. That's what is calculated, not the 7 years and $277M he has left counting the end of his rookie deal. Mahomes didn't signed a 12 year $480M contract, he signed a 10 year $450M contract. You're trying to combine two contracts and then call it one. And that would make it look like every player signing an extension from their rookie deal is making less than a vet signing an extension.

I know what you're saying but it's weird to say someone is making 46 million a year when not one year of the contract will they actually be making 46 million. 

48 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I know what you're saying but it's weird to say someone is making 46 million a year when not one year of the contract will they actually be making 46 million. 

You...understand how averages work, right? It doesn't mean they make $46M every year, it just means that's the average. He signed a contract for 5 years that averages out to $46M per year. I don't know what you aren't understanding here.

Contracts are always reported for new money, as that's what he actually signed for on this contract. You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. This is how it is always shown.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, Ray Reed said:

With Hopkins set to miss 6 games this year, and Conner being a mostly average RB, Murray is going to have to play like a top 5 guy this year in order to justify Murray/Hopkins/Conner as the #1 most paid QB/WR/RB trio

Nevermind

Edited by dll2000

On 7/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, BroncoSojia said:

I just have this pet peeve about fans wanting players to take less money. Their responsibility to the team is to produce on the field and stay out of trouble off of it. It's on the GM and contract people to manage salaries to keep their respective teams competitive. If you don't think a player is worth what he's asking, then trade him away, but I'm never going to fault a player for trying to get as much money as he possibly can.

Plus would you take less money at your job to benefit your employer? Of course not.

This sport is extremely dangerous, so I if I was a player I'd only play for who gives me the best contract.