Kyler Murray and Cardinals agree to extension (46.1M / yr)

Forge

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Can you name 12 QBs you'd rather have for the next 5 years?

Ignoring the obvious Brady joke -

1) Mahomes
2) Allen
3) Jackson
4) Herbert
5) Burrow
6) Prescott
7) Carr
8) Cousins to 38
9) Stafford goes to 39 
10) Wilson to 38
11) Watson (sans off-field but he's already paid)

So 11.

But maybe one of the young QBs flourishes (Lawrence/Lance/etc) and I add to that, so it's possible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Can you name 12 QBs you'd rather have for the next 5 years?

Honestly, it's just impossible to say right now. I don't agree with that he's not a top 12 QB right now, but I think having him between 10-12 is absolutely fair. Over the next five years, some people above him will leave (Rodgers, Brady), but some people below him right now could certainly make the jump above him. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He hasn't, though...

Eh?

Completion percentage, Y/A, and TD/A have improved steadily in each of his three seasons while turnovers have declined. I can see why some wouldn't be as high on him (or this contract), but you can't really deny the statistical improvement.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Once Hopkins wasn't around to catch his jump balls, things went south.

Verdict is still out but I wouldn't be a fan of this one if I were a Card's fan.

I games where Hopkins was inactive last season, he went 104/161 for 1005 yards, 5 touchdowns, and one interception (89.69 rating). Definitely a notch below his seasonal averages, sure, but not completely awful. From what I recall, he was also still a bit hobbled himself coming back from injury, and what QB isn't going to get affected by his top receiver being unavailable?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

For worthy QB's like Allen, Rodgerrs it's no problem... but Kyler freaking Murray? 

Guy who FINISHED the season #2 in completion percentage and #4 in YPA? I believe he was top of the league in a number of categories prior to missing a month to injury? Progressed as a passer and seeing the field over previous seasons with a spread-the-love approach that absolutely decimated playoff teams early in the season, before the entire offense began to deal with a plethora of injuries?

Yes, he got hurt. Yes, they had a REALLY TERRIBLE playoff game. So is he top 3? No. Is he top 5? Probably not. Top 10? Definitely. The contract isn't a bargain, but it's absolutely fair in the context of what he does within that offense, his progress, and just how bad arguably the worst historical franchise in the NFL has been at the QB position.

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Ppl when they talk about the Cardinals: AZ is only good because Kyler carries. Keim sucks, Kliff sucks.

Ppl when they talk about Kyler: he also sucks

If everything about the Cardinals suck why were they one of the best teams in the NFL last year?

Bi polar opinions for a bi polar team. Started out 7-0, then went 4-7. Seems reasonable that people have mixed opinions.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Eh?

Completion percentage, Y/A, and TD/A have improved steadily in each of his three seasons while turnovers have declined. I can see why some wouldn't be as high on him, but you can't really deny the statistical improvement.

I games where Hopkins was inactive last season, he went 104/161 for 1005 yards, 5 touchdowns, and one interception (89.69 rating). Definitely a notch below his seasonal averages, but not completely awful. From what I recall, he was also still a bit hobbled himself, and what QB isn't going to get affected by his top receiver being unavailable?

Exactly. Murray was recovering from an injury while the OL was dealing with injuries of their own. Hobbled QB playing behind DJ Humphries, Kelvin Beachum, JR Sweezy, Justin Murray, and Max Garcia? Yeah, he should have been significantly better with that elite pass protection.

The biggest problem I would have with this deal is something I can't verify - the scuttle on his behavior, leadership, etc. 

If those are really problems, I don't think that this is a good deal and I don't think it's one you should be making. 

If that is media run amok looking for stories, then whatever. We know the QB market is going to blow up and the deals get bigger and bigger. 

• Like 3

All I can think about is Mahomes has a lower average on his deal than Murray and it’s also twice as long like…

How the Chiefs convinced Mahomes to take a 10 year contract for 450 million (45 million per) is beyond me. Especially in a league with HUGE tv / Sunday ticket deals right around the corner. The cap is gonna sky rocket and it’s already been going up steadily besides the blip that a pandemic caused.

If you’re a player and smart it doesn’t make sense to take a contract longer than 3-5 years (preferably 3-4) no matter the position you play. You want as many big bites at the apple as possible, especially when each bite is juicer and more filling than the previous. Only way it makes sense to me to take 5-10 year deals is if you are constantly injured and want security, but if that’s the case the team isn’t handing you a long contract, cause they aren’t dumb.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

All I can think about is Mahomes has a lower average on his deal than Murray and it’s also twice as long like…

How the Chiefs convinced Mahomes to take a 10 year contract for 450 million (45 million per) is beyond me. Especially in a league with HUGE tv / Sunday ticket deals right around the corner. The cap is gonna sky rocket and it’s already been going up steadily besides the blip that a pandemic caused.

If you’re a player and smart it doesn’t make sense to take a contract longer than 3-5 years (preferably 3-4) no matter the position you play. You want as many big bites at the apple as possible, especially when each bite is juicer and more filling than the previous. Only way it makes sense to me to take 5-10 year deals is if you are constantly injured and want security, but if that’s the case the team isn’t handing you a long contract, cause they aren’t dumb.

They will rework his deal eventually and he will see a pay increase. It’s just a matter of time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Brady also has had a millionaire supermodel wife to supplement his income 

I fail to see what this has to do w/ the subject..... someone said Brady is 16th and I suggested that I thought he remembered that he always took team friendly deals. WHY he took them is irrelevant, right?

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Ppl when they talk about the Cardinals: AZ is only good because Kyler carries. Keim sucks, Kliff sucks.

Ppl when they talk about Kyler: he also sucks

If everything about the Cardinals suck why were they one of the best teams in the NFL last year?

Hollywood Brown

24 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

They will rework his deal eventually and he will see a pay increase. It’s just a matter of time.

Yup.  Once KC converts enough base and roster bonus to signing bonus and the cap hits can't be reduced it likely gets reworked.

• Like 1