Most people on this forum eat bad food

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It’s more of the culture in America to eat horrendous food and schools don’t teach you otherwise.

I'd agree, and argue even moreso they teach you exactly the wrong thing.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705#:~:text=How many carbohydrates do you,grams of carbs a day.

How many carbohydrates do you need?

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that carbohydrates make up 45% to 65% of total daily calories.

So if you get 2,000 calories a day, between 900 and 1,300 calories should be from carbohydrates. That translates to between 225 and 325 grams of carbs a day.

You can find the carbohydrate content of packaged foods on the Nutrition Facts label. The label shows total carbohydrates — which can include fiber, total sugars and added sugars.

Carbohydrates and your health

Despite their bad reputation, carbohydrates are vital to your health for many reasons.

Providing energy

Carbohydrates are the body's main fuel source. During digestion, sugars and starches are broken down into simple sugars. They're then absorbed into the bloodstream, where they're known as blood sugar (blood glucose).

From there, glucose enters the body's cells with the help of insulin. Glucose is used by the body for energy. Glucose fuels your activities — whether it's going for a jog or simply breathing and thinking. Extra glucose is stored in the liver, muscles and other cells for later use. Or extra glucose is converted to fat.

Protecting against disease

Some evidence suggests that whole grains and dietary fiber from whole foods help lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. Fiber may also protect against obesity, colon and rectal cancers, and type 2 diabetes. Fiber is also essential for optimal digestive health.

Controlling weight

Evidence shows that eating plenty of fruit, vegetables and whole grains can help you control your weight. Their bulk and fiber content aids weight control by helping you feel full on fewer calories. Despite what proponents of low-carb diets claim, few studies show that a diet rich in healthy carbs leads to weight gain or obesity.

That's bat****. "Despite their bad reputation" is something the Mayo Clinic actually wrote in a medical advice article. Even they know it's BS.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd agree, and argue even moreso they teach you exactly the wrong thing.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705#:~:text=How many carbohydrates do you,grams of carbs a day.

That's bat****. "Despite their bad reputation" is something the Mayo Clinic actually wrote in a medical advice article. Even they know it's BS.

Lol 300 grams of carbs a day is madness. I feel like schools automatically assume everyone is 250lbs. 

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Breakfast I had 2 eggs, an apple, and 1/4 cup cashews.

Grilled chicken salad with 2 TBSP blue cheese dressing for lunch.

I downloaded MyFitnessPal and linked my Fitbit. Day 1 doing this but I think it could be close to life changing in a positive way. I know I’m never going to track macros, but counting calories and tracking deficits in combination with exercise is what I’m going for.

Awesome work!

- Breakfast was a three egg omelette with season ground beef (5oz), sauteed onions and peppers and jalapeño slices on top. It was like a religious experience.

- Lunch was quinoa, sautéed shrimp (6oz) and steamed broccoli. Didn’t season the shrimp as well as I thought, but it was still pretty good.

- Had a snack of dark chocolate covered coffee beans, about 1/4 a cup. I’ll occasionally develop a sweet tooth, and that dark chocolate with the coffee flavor of the bean hits that craving without subjecting me to too much badness.

- I feel lazy for dinner, so might go pick up some sushi from HEB. Might pick up a NY strip and do steak and sushi with a glass of Cab Sav. (Wife works until 10pm on her rotation and kids are at my moms’ house for the night so I can treat myself a bit… )

• Like 2

Pretty sure poor diet is more of a borderless socioeconomic condition imposed upon people, rather than a specific Nationality thing.

Bad food is cheaper (and typically "easier").  More and more people are becoming more and more poor relative to wages, with less and less time to invest in proper cooking.  This happens in the US, Europe, Canada, wherever.

I am kinda sketched out by American Dairy standards compared to Canadian standards though.  Specifically the synthetic hormones thing.

But i'm pretty confident the folks up in Tuktoyaktuk ain't eating the healthiest, most delicious foods out there.  Difficult to fly that stuff in daily for a fresh locally Canadian grown banana or avocado.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

But i'm pretty confident the folks up in Tuktoyaktuk ain't eating the healthiest, most delicious foods out there.  Difficult to fly that stuff in daily for a fresh locally Canadian grown banana or avocado.

Yes but what about those folks in Grise Fiord?

On 8/4/2022 at 7:24 PM, BayRaider said:

Anyone can eat healthy pretty easily in non third world countries. It’s more of the culture in America to eat horrendous food and schools don’t teach you otherwise

You can any whole foods every meal and make it delicious. I eat lots of chicken breast (organic), lots of egg whites (and sometimes whole eggs), lots of lean steak like Filets and Top Sirloin, lots of Veggies especially greens, and tons of rice/potatoes for carbs. 

Also eat unhealthy stuff like cheese a lot, but cheese is the greatest thing ever invented. 

Like culinary schools?

- Breakfast was light, two eggs (scrambled) and a cup of spinach with salt, pepper and sirracha.

- Lunch was heavier, went up Fuddruckers with my son; Had the grilled chicken avocado crunch sandwich with bacon and jalapeños (I threw out the top bread and ate it open faced). Had a few of my son’s french fries, much to his chagrin.

- Dinner is going to be some mixed greens, tomatoes, feta cheese and cucumbers with about 4-6 oz of chicken.

• Like 2