The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Survivorau GIF by Australian Survivor

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Seriously, it was pretty apparent. We would get into scoring range and then consistently all of a sudden they just took the ball out of our best playmaker’s hands. 

But what happens if the offense doesn’t progress at all next season, Nagys offenses looked good in the scripted plays and then abysmal afterwards. I’m not saying I expect it to stay the same or anything, just a question. 

6 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

But what happens if the offense doesn’t progress at all next season, Nagys offenses looked good in the scripted plays and then abysmal afterwards. I’m not saying I expect it to stay the same or anything, just a question. 

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but if it does we’ll have to see where things aren’t working and try to figure out whether it’s scheme, personnel or both. We also should have a far better sense of whether Getsy was playing to limit scoring in 2022 or if he’s just a bad play caller after next year. One year with a young QB and mostly spare parts around isn’t really enough to tell much about what he can do in that regard IMO. 

God, I’m so ready for us to break this cycle of hope then disappointment… 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Then Getsy gets the boot and (assuming Warren doesn't just decide to get his own coaching staff, which is unlikely after his first year unless the team completely unravels IMO) the Bears likely promote Janocko. Hopefully between his time under Shurmer, Kubiak, Stefanski, Norv Turner, and now Getsy he has enough viewpoints the he can keep the same system calls for Fields while figuring out something that works.

If Eberflus is entrenched as I expect, I'd also be down to try and poach someone from SF. Brian Griese is a hail mary, he just started as the QB coach there last year but he cut his teeth while playing under Mike Shanahan. Maybe try to poach someone from the staff of McVay (none look appealing to me ATM) or McDaniel's staff (Frank Smith?).

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but if it does we’ll have to see where things aren’t working and try to figure out whether it’s scheme, personnel or both. We also should have a far better sense of whether Getsy was playing to limit scoring in 2022 or if he’s just a bad play caller after next year. One year with a young QB and mostly spare parts around isn’t really enough to tell much about what he can do in that regard IMO. 

God, I’m so ready for us to break this cycle of hope then disappointment… 

What is bolded is what I want the most.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Then Getsy gets the boot and (assuming Warren doesn't just decide to get his own coaching staff, which is unlikely after his first year unless the team completely unravels IMO) the Bears likely promote Janocko. Hopefully between his time under Shurmer, Kubiak, Stefanski, Norv Turner, and now Getsy he has enough viewpoints the he can keep the same system calls for Fields while figuring out something that works.

If Eberflus is entrenched as I expect, I'd also be down to try and poach someone from SF. Brian Griese is a hail mary, he just started as the QB coach there last year but he cut his teeth while playing under Mike Shanahan. Maybe try to poach someone from the staff of McVay (none look appealing to me ATM) or McDaniel's staff (Frank Smith?).

I know Getsy would get the boot, I just find it hard to believe that the coaches kept the locker room in order while actively trying to lose. If they did then more power to them, I just have become a wait and see fan instead of trying to project anything with the Bears.

19 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Nagy's big problem in my opinion wasn't play calling or scheme.

His major problem was execution or lack thereof.  His team couldn't execute the plays he wanted to use so his answer was he always needed new plays.  Or a new run coordinator.  Or a new O line coach.   The problem was him not the plays.    The scripted plays looked good because they were well executed.  

Lombardi was going to run power sweep and everyone knew it.  Like OZ and counter boot today is the base of so many offenses.   That was his base play.   Anyone of Lombardi's era could easily run same play.  Any coach can quickly learn and run any play anyone else has.   But not everyone can execute it like Lombardi's Packers.  

This is the problem with most coaches IMO and how you spot a bad one or a good one.    Plays matter.  Play calling matters.  Innovation matters.   Execution across board matters so much more.   

Every team has a QB sneak in playbook.  Tom Brady in NE ran it best, but few people copied his style on it for some reason. 

He did it best until the Eagles this year took it another step forward taking advantage of rules and using old pop warner DW wedge play (all things old become new again at some point in football).    But you still saw so many teams mess it up and not get the 1 or 2 yards - games were lost because of it as they turned ball over or punted.

Next year every half way intelligent team in league would run it PW wedge style on every 3rd and 1 - and actually practice it.   (Now NFL is likely going to change rules and disallow it).   

Point is you can all have exact same play, but if you can't coach execution, you aren't a good coach.  The answer isn't always new plays.  The answer is run the plays better.  

Nagy is probably an excellent QB coach and probably a really good OC.  But when he is head man in charge he can't  coach execution of entire unit.  

Execution is about attention to detail.    It is about personnel.   It is about all 11 guys doing their jobs perfectly with perfect fundamentals or as close as you can get them.   It does require talent.

But if you notice some coaches can win with theirs and they can still beat you with yours.   Talent matters a lot, but coaching matters more in football than any other sport.

I think execution matters a lot to Flus and he understands above.   But his problem will be whether he can maintain continuity on offense if he loses an OC every 2-3 years of his tenure.    No one but offensive HCs and Belichick has managed that trick.

Edited by dll2000
Forgot the bolded.

19 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

That is absolutely a fair question, and I will answer it here in a second, but I will say this; What if its obviously something else? Say we do go get a handful of OLinemen, but they dont gel for most of the year (like what happened in Cincinnati). Or what if Claypool was the move for a weapon in this offseason, and maybe he completely disappoints, along with Mooney and Kmet?

Its not all about one thing when it comes to these hypotheticals. But lets say we start every game with a TD drive, and then its a complete mess. That WRs are not getting open, that we are running into brick walls at the LOS, and Fields is looking great on occasional plays, but is still running for his life and getting heated on the sidelines with Getsy... Well then he has to go and we find ourselves an OC who can do the job.

But I gave credit when he completely changed everything up during the mini-bye, and Fields bought in and it all started to click for a couple of weeks (I think JF even mentioned this a few times on Radio Row) So I believe he has the capacity to be dynamic and change on the fly. Which is what is needed to be good outside of the first script. Before he did that, I was (vocally) worried that he was just in over his head just like Hackett, and that he needed to prove that he belonged. Which then we tore off 33-29-32-30-24 points, but all were losses other than that first on vs the Patriots, due to the Defense being borderline D-II level.

We then were staring at 3-8 and a potential Top 5 pick, so its now officially tank time when going up against 6 remaining teams who were fighting for Playoffs/Positioning. Thats when you could see us executing to start games, and then turn the playbook over and read off the Pop Werner playsheet on the back. It wasnt all season long, it was just evident to close the season, and it actually worked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That is absolutely a fair question, and I will answer it here in a second, but I will say this; What if its obviously something else? Say we do go get a handful of OLinemen, but they dont gel for most of the year (like what happened in Cincinnati). Or what if Claypool was the move for a weapon in this offseason, and maybe he completely disappoints, along with Mooney and Kmet?

Its not all about one thing when it comes to these hypotheticals. But lets say we start every game with a TD drive, and then its a complete mess. That WRs are not getting open, that we are running into brick walls at the LOS, and Fields is looking great on occasional plays, but is still running for his life and getting heated on the sidelines with Getsy... Well then he has to go and we find ourselves an OC who can do the job.

But I gave credit when he completely changed everything up during the mini-bye, and Fields bought in and it all started to click for a couple of weeks (I think JF even mentioned this a few times on Radio Row) So I believe he has the capacity to be dynamic and change on the fly. Which is what is needed to be good outside of the first script. Before he did that, I was (vocally) worried that he was just in over his head just like Hackett, and that he needed to prove that he belonged. Which then we tore off 33-29-32-30-24 points, but all were losses other than that first on vs the Patriots, due to the Defense being borderline D-II level.

We then were staring at 3-8 and a potential Top 5 pick, so its now officially tank time when going up against 6 remaining teams who were fighting for Playoffs/Positioning. Thats when you could see us executing to start games, and then turn the playbook over and read off the Pop Werner playsheet on the back. It wasnt all season long, it was just evident to close the season, and it actually worked.

Cinnci was a great example.   Their Oline looked really bad early and they were all good vets.

I will take it a step further.   If much of our new interior talent is rookies - they often lack man strength to compete effectively out of box on line.  

Our odds of seeing monumental improvement across board in one season may not be great for many reasons.

What we have going for us is Fields is an elite athlete who can raise all boats with improvisational skills, a big arm and pure speed. 

He worked a lot in offseason with Mooney etc., but he said he didn't know what to do.   They were guessing.  

This year he will know what to actually work on before mini camps as he had a year in offense.  

Our last years rookies are a year stronger and a lot of them played big minutes.  Might be some of them are a bit better than we think.  Might also be some we may be overrating.  

• Like 1

https://www.letsbeardown.com/Skip-Bayless-and-Shannon-Sharpe-are-convinced-that-Justin-Fields-is-trying-to-coerce-a-trade-out-of-Chicago-with-his-latest-remarks-210825

dear god. Articles like this make me feel like we are trending towards Idiocracy. They twisted his words to make him seem like a diva who wants out. There are rumors we’re getting a dome in a new stadium, he essentially commented on that positively, because who wouldn’t prefer a dome to ****ty Chicago weather?

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

https://www.letsbeardown.com/Skip-Bayless-and-Shannon-Sharpe-are-convinced-that-Justin-Fields-is-trying-to-coerce-a-trade-out-of-Chicago-with-his-latest-remarks-210825

dear god. Articles like this make me feel like we are trending towards Idiocracy. They twisted his words to make him seem like a diva who wants out. There are rumors we’re getting a dome in a new stadium, he essentially commented on that positively, because who wouldn’t prefer a dome to ****ty Chicago weather?

Skip went from constant hot takes to get his name circulating to showing signs of Alzheimer's.

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I can’t do his hot take **** any more. The stuff he and the guys like him say is soooooooooo dumb.  

• Like 1