The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I have actually heard/read Dallas Cowboys fans/podcasters and Buffalo Bills fans/podcasters saying their QBs didn't have enough weapons to look good.

(I don't know why but I always like to read fan boards and listen to podcasts of a team after an emotional loss - it is just interesting to me.)

Also many Cowboys fans saying the 49ers defense is so good they would make anyone look bad. 

Granted many Cowboys fans are putting Prescott on blast as well - always about 30% that don't like him.

But you know Fields is just bad and needs to train with Hurts this offseason to learn.  Like Purdy did.

Speaking of Prescott it is crazy how much some turned on him, you'd have thought he was Watson after the lawsuits came out with some of the vitriol thrown at him. One of my friends was the biggest Prescott fan after his rookie year (I had to hear all about him all season) but now he talks about him like he is Zach Wilson bad. I know Dak isn't a top 5 QB on pretty much anyone's list but damn. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Speaking of Prescott it is crazy how much some turned on him, you'd have thought he was Watson after the lawsuits came out with some of the vitriol thrown at him. One of my friends was the biggest Prescott fan after his rookie year (I had to hear all about him all season) but now he talks about him like he is Zach Wilson bad. I know Dak isn't a top 5 QB on pretty much anyone's list but damn. 

Dak is a divisive guy for them.   He forced a bigger contract out of them than many wanted to give or thought was warranted.  (Good on him).  They loved him as a 4th round pick, but as a highly paid guy it is different.  That comes with bigger expectations.   

There were large debates on whether he was worth it. 

People dug into their positions pro and con and it became almost their identity within the fandom.   You are either I am pro Dak guy ( he is a top echelon QB) or con Dak guy (Dak really isn't that good or he needs great talent all around him), they are each others throats all time about it.

The pros had it going for much of season, but with 2 of last 3 games they saw being bad by Dak - the cons are in ascendance and crowing their position from rooftops.

I originally thought Dak was a product of his team, but after watching him last couple of years I think Dak clearly can play like he is a top QB at times.   He makes some really nice plays and is accurate for entire games.   

But he is just not consistent with it,  he is streaky.   They have just not won the big games with him to date.

Despite a lot of national hype each year Dallas has not come close to winning a title in a long time after the mini-dynasty they enjoyed when JJ bought team and hired JJ.   

A lot of them weren't even born for that or were very young.   Fans are getting really impatient.    

• Like 2

Just now, dll2000 said:

Dak is a divisive guy for them.   He forced a bigger contract out of them than many wanted to give or thought was warranted.  (Good on him).  They loved him as a 4th round pick, but as a highly paid guy it is different.  That comes with bigger expectations.   

There were large debates on whether he was worth it. 

People dug into their positions pro and con and it became almost their identity within the fandom.   You are either I am pro Dak guy ( he is a top echelon QB) or con Dak guy (Dak really isn't that good or he needs great talent all around him), they are each others throats all time about it.

The pros had it going for much of season, but with 2 of last 3 games they saw being bad by Dak - the cons are in ascendance and crowing their position from rooftops.

I originally thought Dak was a product of his team, but after watching him last couple of years I think Dak clearly can play like he is a top QB at times.   He makes some really nice plays and is accurate for entire games.   

But he is just not consistent with it,  he is streaky.   They have just not won the big games with him to date.

Despite a lot of national hype each year Dallas has not come close to winning a title in a long time after the mini-dynasty they enjoyed when JJ bought team and hired JJ.   

A lot of them weren't even born for that or were very young.   Fans are getting really impatient.    

I think DAL fans also got a bit spoiled after Romo becoming a franchise QB that was a nobody before taking the big stage. Then they saw him go down in week one or two and Prescott had a great year. Before Romo they had Bledsoe, who was never elite by any means but he seemed to get replaced by franchise QBs.They only had a few years of QB purgatory after Aikman retired, so they are almost all acclimated to having good QB play pretty much every year.

With the huge deal they expect crazy results, I get it. I'm just annoyed because of the Bears' pathetic history at QB. I drafted Dak in the 4th real-time too so I am a bit bitter about that. Probably would have missed on Mahomes still and drafted Solomon Thomas so I can't even say the 2017 draft would have been better. lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I have actually heard/read Dallas Cowboys fans/podcasters and Buffalo Bills fans/podcasters saying their QBs didn't have enough weapons to look good.

Saw this from Matt Miller today too (whose opinion and analysis I generally agree with) re: DAL. That’s bat **** crazy to me. He’s got a true #1 WR in Lamb, a top 10 receiving TE (despite yesterday’s late game brain cramps) in Schultz, a WR2 in Gallup who obviously came back too early from a late 2021 ACL this year (his 2022 numbers were down across the board) but is a legit WR2 with a 1100 yard season under his belt, has a very legitimate 3-down back in Pollard, and one of the best OL in football. And the skill position guys are all young too (the oldest from that group are Schultz and Gallup, both of whom are only 26). And HE needs more weapons? FFS.

The only skill position groups I would take over DAL’s skill position guys for sure are CIN, SF and PHI. I’d say maybe to BUF, MIA, KC (only because of Kelce) and DET. I’m not sure there’s any OL other than PHI that I’d take over the DAL line. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Saw this from Matt Miller today too (whose opinion and analysis I generally agree with). That’s bat **** crazy to me. He’s got a true #1 WR in Lamb, a top 10 receiving TE (despite yesterday’s late game brain cramps) in Schultz, a WR2 in Gallup who obviously came back too early from a late 2021 ACL this year (his 2022 numbers were down across the board) but is a legit WR2 with a 1100 yard season under his belt, has a very legitimate 3-down back in Pollard, and one of the best OL in football. And the skill position guys are all young too (the oldest from that group are Schultz and Gallup, both of whom are only 26). And HE needs more weapons? FFS.

The only skill position groups I would take over DAL’s skill position guys for sure are CIN, SF and PHI. I’d say maybe to BUF, MIA, KC (only because of Kelce) and DET. I’m not sure there’s any OL other than PHI that I’d take over the DAL line. 

Not to mention Dallas is 5th ranked defense and Buffalo is 2nd.  (points allowed)

Chicago defense was dead last. 

Chicago also had worst WR group and arguably worst OL.  

But Fields takes all this criticism on his ability to throw as if team around him doesn't matter.

Remember when Burrow threw, what was it? 5 ints against us 2 years ago and lost to us?   

He had with him Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Uzomah and Mixon.   And a talented defense.   

Yes he had a bad OL at time.  But dang, we could only dream of putting together a comparable skill package together next year.  We won't be able to unless we could cherry pick whole draft and no WR in draft is as talented as Chase (likely).   

This year what did Fields have with him?  Kmet and Mooney for a few early games and Claypool coming late  and not knowing offense.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think DAL fans also got a bit spoiled after Romo becoming a franchise QB that was a nobody before taking the big stage. Then they saw him go down in week one or two and Prescott had a great year. Before Romo they had Bledsoe, who was never elite by any means but he seemed to get replaced by franchise QBs.They only had a few years of QB purgatory after Aikman retired, so they are almost all acclimated to having good QB play pretty much every year.

With the huge deal they expect crazy results, I get it. I'm just annoyed because of the Bears' pathetic history at QB. I drafted Dak in the 4th real-time too so I am a bit bitter about that. Probably would have missed on Mahomes still and drafted Solomon Thomas so I can't even say the 2017 draft would have been better. lol

LOL and Bledsoe, Romo and then Dak were the bad ones (relatively speaking).

Dallas QB history is miles above Bears.  Miles.

Before them the Dallas QBs of my youth were Roger Staubach, Danny White and then Troy Aikman.  Imagine that, 3 hall of fame QBs nearly back to back.   We have Sid Luckman who is our great grandfathers QB.   

Dallas is a spoiled franchise.   But they have a whole present generation of fans who haven't known success of their fathers and grandfathers.

Jerry came out of gates on fire, hired Jimmy Johnson dethroned the 49ers as best franchise, but then fired Jimmy Johnson and been mostly middling ever since. 

Like two and half decades or so now.  However long its been.

• Like 1

The issue with Prescott is he got the contract he earned but with anticipation he would get a lot better. He hasn't. He'll never be a great QB. He needs a strong run game and more than one great WR. He's a great guy by all accounts but nobody cares about that if you keep turning the ball over at an alarming rate

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The issue with Prescott is he got the contract he earned but with anticipation he would get a lot better. He hasn't. He'll never be a great QB. He needs a strong run game and more than one great WR. He's a great guy by all accounts but nobody cares about that if you keep turning the ball over at an alarming rate

We made him look like a HOFer.