2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't say that's the case. A lot of people really like Porter. Again, I question his fit with this defense, and I could easily be all wet (have been plenty times before), but maybe it would work. 

I would be a little shocked if Porter fell outside the first 20 picks. He's probably CB #3, no?

edit: I just saw @e16bball made a better point than I on why I didn't think he fit as well, but he also provided a solution, so points to Gryffindor. 

E said how I feel watching him. He’s not my 3. But that’s not too say I don’t see the tape on why people have him here I just value certain things as a person who played CB and honestly if we were back in 2010 he’d probably be number one for that era of the game where being a press man against big tree tall giants was the formula eams went with. But for me it’s about hips movement skills and football IQ. Not knocking his football IQ as it’s probably his best plus trait. But I value guys who really can play up or off and can move with the twitched up crazy route runners in todays game which is why usually year after year the guys I’m high on generally look the same. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'm starting to just fall in love with the idea of taking Darnell Wright at 16. I legitimately hate the idea of Wylie being our starting tackle for the foreseeable future. I think he's another Cornelius Lucas. 

I feel similarly, but it’s Anton Harrison there for me, I think.

I’m just not sold on taking a pure RT in the top half of the 1st round. Maybe that’s not Wright, but I think that’s probably where he settles in.

To me, the upside with Harrison is a long-term starting LT. He only just turned 21, and he really jumps off the screen with athleticism when you watch him. He moves so well. If they’re going to be sticking with a lot of these outside zone concepts that are back en vogue, he’s a great option. Obviously you can’t compare anyone to Trent Williams (and Harrison is definitely not as powerful and explosive), but the way he moves has that same “shocking at his size” quality that you’d get with Trent at times. 

Don’t love his technique in pass pro. I love his feet, but he does something similar to what Cosmi did at Texas, where he always hides his hands and doesn’t ever attack/engage the edge rusher. What we’ve learned, I think, is that Cosmi was doing it because he has short arms and needed to bait the guy into coming into his reach area. Harrison has at least somewhat longer arms, and he really shouldn’t need to do that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I feel similarly, but it’s Anton Harrison there for me, I think.

I’m just not sold on taking a pure RT in the top half of the 1st round. Maybe that’s not Wright, but I think that’s probably where he settles in.

To me, the upside with Harrison is a long-term starting LT. He only just turned 21, and he really jumps off the screen with athleticism when you watch him. He moves so well. If they’re going to be sticking with a lot of these outside zone concepts that are back en vogue, he’s a great option. Obviously you can’t compare anyone to Trent Williams (and Harrison is definitely not as powerful and explosive), but the way he moves has that same “shocking at his size” quality that you’d get with Trent at times. 

Don’t love his technique in pass pro. I love his feet, but he does something similar to what Cosmi did at Texas, where he always hides his hands and doesn’t ever attack/engage the edge rusher. What we’ve learned, I think, is that Cosmi was doing it because he has short arms and needed to bait the guy into coming into his reach area. Harrison has at least somewhat longer arms, and he really shouldn’t need to do that.

One thing to consider is that Wylie has experience at guard as well. So, if we did draft Broderick Jones, Anton Harrison, or Darnell Wright to play RT, Wylie could move to RG.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Interesting. It's really just Wright and Hooker he could be meeting with. I don't see us in on the WRs. 

I wouldn't touch hooker early.  Maybe 3rd round and beyond.  Old rookie who is gonna need to sit a year and get healthy and has a lot of work to do to run an nfl offense.  Could be interesting late pick up though.

Wright is interesting, but now we have 2 Right Tackles + one swing tackle, can we really rationalize another?

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

One thing to consider is that Wylie has experience at guard as well. So, if we did draft Broderick Jones, Anton Harrison, or Darnell Wright to play RT, Wylie could move to RG.

For me, that’s the right choice in terms of long-term upside. Landing a long-term replacement for Leno would be absolute coup with this middling pick in this middling draft. Big-time value play.

If I’m them, I’m looking at all these OTs and trying to find one who I think can be that. If there’s not one there, only then would I look at the CB/TE/LG options. 

• Like 1

Using Reid’s board, I would likely have gone:

1. Anton Harrison

2. Tough call between Emmanuel Forbes, Luke Musgrave, Jack Campbell, and Jahmyr Gibbs. Could be talked into any of those guys. Do not want to reach for an OT there in this draft class. 1st round or I’m out on the position until day three.

3. I’d be fine with Spears there, but it’d be awfully tough to pass on a twitchy edge like Byron Young there. 

4. I know nothing about Kuntz, obviously a crazy athlete though. I could live with this one too. I also like CB Terell Smith there, and I could be talked into Jonathan Mingo there as an athleticism upside WR.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:58 PM, e16bball said:

For me, that’s the right choice in terms of long-term upside. Landing a long-term replacement for Leno would be absolute coup with this middling pick in this middling draft. Big-time value play.

If I’m them, I’m looking at all these OTs and trying to find one who I think can be that. If there’s not one there, only then would I look at the CB/TE/LG options. 

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live