Week 3: Packers @ Tampa Bay Bucs - PG: Packers WIN 14-12, Move to 2-1!

FAH1223

45 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Of all the absurd stances I’ve taken (which I’m probably 70% right on, 30% wrong on), this one never sat well with me.

Like I never once said Julio was a bad receiver. All I ever said was the dude struggled scoring points.

When you have one more season over 6 TD catches than Bubba Franks…

Like it’s a fact. It’s not an opinion thing. Julio Jones, among elite receivers, struggled scoring points.

And you can’t blame Matt Ryan. Roddy White played one less year than Julio and currently has two more career touchdown receptions. Same quarterback.

That’s why I’m always flabbergasted when people argue against verifiable, demonstrable facts.

@Packerraymond, you’re still wrong on this one.

Sorry everyone, I just have Julio Jones 4 TD receptions against us this Sunday.

I've never once said he caught a lot of TDs. To me, red zone TDs are entirely scheme based and not individual based. Like Lazard's TD Sunday night was designed so Lazard got a TD. Justin Jefferson's first TD last week against us was designed for Jefferson to get a TD. Davante has so many TDs because he was #1 option every single time we got to the redzone. MVS never got redzone targets, doesn't make him incapable of scoring.

If you can catch a pass at the 50, you can catch a pass in the endzone.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Of all the absurd stances I’ve taken (which I’m probably 70% right on, 30% wrong on), this one never sat well with me.

Like I never once said Julio was a bad receiver. All I ever said was the dude struggled scoring points.

When you have one more season over 6 TD catches than Bubba Franks…

Like it’s a fact. It’s not an opinion thing. Julio Jones, among elite receivers, struggled scoring points.

And you can’t blame Matt Ryan. Roddy White played one less year than Julio and currently has two more career touchdown receptions. Same quarterback.

That’s why I’m always flabbergasted when people argue against verifiable, demonstrable facts.

@Packerraymond, you’re still wrong on this one.

Sorry everyone, I just have Julio Jones 4 TD receptions against us this Sunday.

Lol I never had an issue with it really. I just like getting a rise out of you.

It was always weird because he just feels like a guy who would have gotten more though

Edited by Norm

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I've never once said he caught a lot of TDs. To me, red zone TDs are entirely scheme based and not individual based. Like Lazard's TD Sunday night was designed so Lazard got a TD. Justin Jefferson's first TD last week against us was designed for Jefferson to get a TD. Davante has so many TDs because he was #1 option every single time we got to the redzone. MVS never got redzone targets, doesn't make him incapable of scoring.

No you can’t though. If you think the Falcons wouldn’t have tried everything in their power to scheme Julio into getting more touchdowns in the red zone you’re more wrong than you think I think you are.

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You mention Adams and Jefferson in relation to Julio.  Did Julio ever have that kind of quickness that Adams and Jefferson have?  The pure ability to beat you in 3 steps off of the line for a quick gainer and score?

Remember, the red zone is a different animal completely than a defense at the 50.  Everything is tighter.  You gotta win quick, or you gotta be a high point catcher, or you need to excel in a scramble drill.

I'll offer this...it's one of two things for how he wasn't utilized by his coaching staff in the red zone.  Either they knew his style of receiving didn't work down there as well as it did in other parts of the field....or the staffs were incompetent.

But let's not confuse red zone offense with an offense at the 50.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You mention Adams and Jefferson in relation to Julio.  Did Julio ever have that kind of quickness that Adams and Jefferson have?  The pure ability to beat you in 3 steps off of the line for a quick gainer and score?

Remember, the red zone is a different animal completely than a defense at the 50.  Everything is tighter.  You gotta win quick, or you gotta be a high point catcher, or you need to excel in a scramble drill.

I'll offer this...it's one of two things for how he wasn't utilized by his coaching staff in the red zone.  Either they knew his style of receiving didn't work down there as well as it did in other parts of the field....or the staffs were incompetent.

He’s more stubborn than I am.

Roddy White did better with worse or equal coaches and the same QB.

Julio should have been able to compensate his lack of that quickness versus his speed by using his height advantage, but he was never really that guy.

He was always beat them on a big field with long speed type.

I really wish we would have had a chance to see him work with Rodgers in the red zone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Have you seen Julio Jones play football? In his prime a 50/50 ball should have been called an 80/20 ball. Up there with Moss and Megatron as one of the most physically dominating WRs ever to play this game. There's more than one way to win in the red zone.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

He’s more stubborn than I am.

Roddy White did better with worse or equal coaches and the same QB.

Julio should have been able to compensate his lack of that quickness versus his speed by using his height advantage, but he was never really that guy.

He was always beat them on a big field with long speed type.

I really wish we would have had a chance to see him work with Rodgers in the red zone.

Not that I really watched Roddy White or Julio...in their primes, but.....  White always seemed quicker to me.  Julio....faster like in a straight line.

And it seemed to me like Julio's big gainers did have some jump ball stuff to them, only down the field and he was able to use his body size to shield guys.

It was always confused as to why he didn't get more red zone stuff.  With his body, he should have been a good back should/high point guy.

Regarding Rodgers...when is the last time we threw a fade in the end zone?  I remember Finley letting a guy wrestle one away for an INT and I do not recall seeing it since then.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Have you seen Julio Jones play football? In his prime a 50/50 ball should have been called an 80/20 ball. Up there with Moss and Megatron as one of the most physically dominating WRs ever to play this game. There's more than one way to win in the red zone.

You did a nice dodge there on not answer my question to you regarding quickness as it relates to Adams, Jefferson and Jones.  Guys that you brought into this conversation, not me.

But, I'll be a nice guy and answer your question.  Have I seen Julio Jones play football.  Yes, but not as much as I've seen Adams play.  Or Jennings.  Or Nelson.

Guessing you haven't as well.  Unless you loved the Falcons and saw all their 16 regular season games for the past decade.

I'm not disagreeing with you that he should have been a 50/50 guy for those fades and jump balls.

But again, you are speculating that he was good at it.  I'll speculate you are right, he used his body well as a shield down the field.

The red zone is a different animal.  And either you know more about Julio as a casual observer of his, or his coaching staffs (plural) were incompetent.

Edited by vegas492

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not that I really watched Roddy White or Julio...in their primes, but.....  White always seemed quicker to me.  Julio....faster like in a straight line.

And it seemed to me like Julio's big gainers did have some jump ball stuff to them, only down the field and he was able to use his body size to shield guys.

It was always confused as to why he didn't get more red zone stuff.  With his body, he should have been a good back should/high point guy.

Regarding Rodgers...when is the last time we threw a fade in the end zone?  I remember Finley letting a guy wrestle one away for an INT and I do not recall seeing it since then.

Last one I remember was to pre-texans Cobb.