Black Panther

Acgott

I think this film was good, probably very good, but it wasnt jaw dropping great. Ive liked alot of the other stuff Coogler has done much more.

I think much like Wonder Woman, this film will be much more culturally significant than it is a great film. Which can carry the "rating" of a film a LONG way, because no one wants to be on the wrong side of that.

Visually great (in much of the film), some very impactful dialog,  and great combat. Cool new tech (possibly OP?) and many other things to like. Unlike some, I actually liked Kilmonger (especially how they wrapped him into our world and Wakanda), but he still left alot to be desired when it came to backstory. Also the final Vibranium Train scene was awful at points, and much of the final fight was telegraphed, played out exactly how many of their origin films do. But most of all, I feel like how overhyped this film was is what really hurt it for me. They were literally calling it the "Godfather" of the MCU, that it was not.

Im glad that a whole new section of society has something to point at, be proud of, and relate to. But we can have that, and be honest about the merits of this film cant we? 

Id give it a B+, and rank it in the top half of the MCU. Ive got it at #7 just behind Civil War, and right infront of Ant-Man/Ragnarok. I was really hoping this would have jumped into my Top 5, solidifying what is a group of amazing CBM, unfortunately this was not the one.

Maybe my favorite Marvel movie and I've enjoyed most of them. 

Thought it did a great job of developing it's own aesthetic and doing it's own thing to stand out from the rest of the MCU. And it took itself just seriously enough. There were enough moments of levity and humor that enhanced the movie and didn't take away from the underlying story or theme. Acting was supreme (including Michael B. Jordan. I thought he captured the raw emotion of how broken he was from his past. I felt like this translated to a borderline manic state that we see with a lot of villains but it wasn't over the top). The story didn't feel rushed. 

Really thought they hit it out of the park. 

2 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

doing it's own thing to stand out from the rest of the MCU.

I think alot of people want this to be more true than it is. Sure the place looks and feels different, but they have been completely cut off from the rest of society, so that was a given. But I think when you watch this one back, you will start to see the seams of the MCU bleeding through, with alot of the same beats and arcs, and flat 3rd act that have hurt other origin films that have come after Iron Man.

No time to go in depth right now, but I think this is how I rank the MCU at this point.  Incidentally, rewatched Iron Man 2 with one of my twins today and honestly, not quite as meh as I remember.  It definitely has a few cringe worthy moments, but it also has a few times where it almost comes together.  It leap frogs Incredible Hulk and Thor 2 as no longer the worst MCU movie to me.  

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. The Avengers
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Iron Man
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Thor: Ragnarok
  7. Black Panther
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  11. Thor
  12. Ant-Man
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  15. Iron Man 3
  16. Iron Man 2
  17. Thor: The Dark World
  18. The Incredible Hulk

To me, BP had the best collective group of characters and the most heart of any Marvel movie so far. I loved how Wakanda was almost completely isolated from other Marvel worlds/characters.

The connected universe is cool if you’re that invested. But to me, I feel like that element detracts from the movies main stories. Avengers, Captain America, GoG etc, have so many characters that they spread time to that I end up losing interest. 

6 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Great first act and second act. The third act to this movie was terrible. The idea for them to fight next to the train was dumb. Above average movie.

Agreed. Felt that last act was rushed. I wasn't feeling how the scenes transitioned. i.e when he's in the lab and he kicks the suit and he gets pushed back, the film shifts to another scene. It just didn't seem smooth. Overall, I enjoyed it. #comebackkillmonger

On 2/17/2018 at 9:51 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Unless Im missing something, I havent see anyone getting offended about the politics WITHIN the movie (although it could be happening).  

Most people are just getting annoyed by yet another movie being used as a political tool for certain groups to push their agenda....just like they did with Ghostbusters.   

The "agenda" is one worth pushing.

Definitely one of the better Marvel movies, right up there with TWS and Ragnarok for me.  

Borrowing the list from @THE DUKE

2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Iron Man
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Thor: Ragnarok
  6. The Avengers
  7. Doctor Strange
  8. Black Panther
  9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Thor
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Iron Man 2
  15. Thor: The Dark World
  16. Iron Man 3
  17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  18. The Incredible Hulk

Good Marvel film. Not great.

Visually was great. The score was great. I really liked Michonne as the head of the army. I actually liked most of the supporting cast except for Daniel Kaluuya. He was about as imposing as a wet sock. Kilmonger could have been great, but not even Michael B Jordan could save the bad writing. I do like the potential of Man Ape being the next villain. He was actually done very well.

2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. The Avengers
  4. Iron Man
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Thor: Ragnarok
  7. Captain America: The First Avenger
  8. Black Panther
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
  10. Doctor Strange
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  13. Iron Man 2
  14. Thor
  15. The Incredible Hulk
  16. Thor: The Dark World
  17. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  18. Iron Man 3

Saw this today.  Very good.  Certainly the best solo Marvel movie since Guardians of the Galaxy.

Killmonger was very good, though I don't think quite deserves the all-time great praise some have thrown out.  He went too far in his tactics to be truly relatable to me.  He was great until his plan was revealed to be take over the world.

T'Challa was great; Boseman was awesome.  You could feel him completely torn throughout the whole movie and it was hard not to feel for him and his position.

M'Baku was the best character.  His arc was the best of everyone and had the most versatility in his character.

Overall I'd put this firmly in the top 5.  The only 2 I can say for certain are better are Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Iron Man.  I'll rank them after further thought in the MCU thread.

On 2/20/2018 at 12:35 AM, THE DUKE said:

Incidentally, rewatched Iron Man 2 with one of my twins today and honestly, not quite as meh as I remember. 

I quite enjoy IM2, and rank it much higher than most in the MCU. I have acknowledged its problems, but it is also the first time we actually seen the building blocks of the MCU, getting actual depth to the world we are about to see for the next decade. Plus Justin Hammer gets lumped in with Whiplash, and he deserves better. 

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier - Hands down the best, glad to see most here agree
  2. Iron Man - Everyone is batting 1.000 in this film, doesnt get the respect it should,  Bridges is amazing as Obadiah
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy - Absolutely love that James Gunn nailed this. No way could any of us have seen this nonsense working
  4. The Avengers - They stitched this together perfectly, which we forget how impressive that was at the time. Predictable but so much fun
  5. Spider-man: Homecoming - Im surprised at how decisive this has become. Best representation of Spidey, and Keaton is chilling
  6. Captain America: Civil War - The Hangar scene is amazing, but this leaves so much to be desired other than that (Stark is a whiny beta)
  7. Black Panther - Loved a whole lot of this movie, but the 3rd act falls apart, and becomes paint by numbers. Great cultural touchstone
  8. Ant-Man - Maybe my expectations were SO low that this gets an artificial bump, but it was just a breath of fresh air. Paul Rudd is a God
  9. Thor: Ragnarok - Not as good as people say (Taika is better in WWDITS) No stakes, everything is a joke, and feels like nothing matters
  10. Captain America: First Avenger - Never though a period piece would have worked, Haley Atwell is amazing/underrated in Cap's history
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - Had this much lower for awhile, re-watched it and bumped it up, could have been so much better though
  12. Thor - We should have known how funny Hemsworth was after this, but as we see later they havent figured out the Humans in his story
  13. Doctor Strange - Visually pretty sweet, but Cumberbun's accent still bothers me, and the end feels like a total cop out. Just didnt do it for me
  14. Iron Man 2 - Really brings these from cool movies into the world of the MCU (Widow/Fury?etc.), Whiplash sucks, but Hammer is a good villain
  15. The Incredible Hulk - Some say its better than given credit, but I watched it recently, still very meh, so glad they recast with Ruffalo
  16. The Avengers: Age of Ultron - Only one word to describe Disappointment. Cool opening shot, fun Mjolnir scene, and thats about it...
  17. Iron Man 3 - Some drool over this, because Shane Black, and it just comes off as masturbatory. Even as a Shane Black film its a disappointment
  18. Thor: The Dark World - Nothing can combat that much Kat Dennings, Feels forced just to get the Reality Stone into the MCU

Archived