NFLPA investigating handling of Dolphins QB Tagovailoa’s concussion check

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd be interested to see which teams would draft guys who have a flagrant disregard for their futures and won't retire early. That would be a fun and unhappy byproduct.

They'd have to hold on to the results until after the draft for honest data, but the individual results aren't even all that interesting. I'd want trends over time, between positions, etc. on stuff like Guardian crowns

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They'd have to hold on to the results until after the draft for honest data, but the individual results aren't even all that interesting. I'd want trends over time, between positions, etc. on stuff like Guardian crowns

I'm a sociology nerd, so I'd love to see a perfectly anonymous survey, but broken down by SES, education (guys who get their degrees vs. ones that don't...and obviously by university for the lulz factor), etc.

• Like 2

I'm of the opinion that last week he never should have been allowed back in the and then obviously this happened this week. I mean Tua got up, walked, then stumbled, grabbed his head and they said it was a back injury?? It's hard to believe that but I am not qualified to make that decision. 

I'm sure it's been addressed in this topic, and I'm no doctor, but it seems there is some vague wording in the concussion protocol where the determination falls on whether the doctor thinks the players symptoms are neurological or orthopedic (a physical injury).

It's 100% possible that the protocol WAS followed the way it is currently constructed; however, after this incident I feel the protocol HAS to be updated. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I am not saying he was definitely concucssed the first time, nor that he shouldn't have been on the field etc, I am trying to avoid revisionism here. but IF...he did pass the concussion protocol first time and IF he was in fact concussed and still went out to play last night - there's a massive issue.

Research shows that someone who has already received one concussion is 1-2 times more likely to receive a second one. If that individual has had two concussions, “a third is 2-4 times more likely, and if they’ve had three concussions, then they are 3-9 times more likely to receive their fourth concussion.”

It is not uncommon that with each additional concussion the amount of time needed to fully recover increases and the force required to cause a concussion decreases.

I would say the video evidence is overwhelming that he was concussed first time.

The safety is relative and the danger is always real. 

But had they followed their own rules, pulled him and then made him sit for a handful of weeks his brain heals and he is in far, far less danger from second impact.

There is NO excuse for what happened.  He should have been pulled from first game following hit and no way he should have played on Thurs.

All this talk of ending game is unnecessary IMO.   It is in inherently dangerous game, but the risk is not so extreme it requires banning the sport.   

The risks can be mitigated a great deal IF you follow common sense procedures in place.   Dolphins and NFL didn't do it.

Tua has a large law suit IMO if he wants it.

• Like 1

IMO whether a guy "passes" the tests or not, I can't for the life of me understand how boxing and MMA officials without any formal medical training past basic first aid are able to stop a fight for a guy who is wobbly (that's essentially 90% of the 10 count rationale going back to like 1920) but we can't have 5 dudes with MD degrees make the same judgment.

• Like 3

Just now, MWil23 said:

IMO whether a guy "passes" the tests or not, I can't for the life of me understand how boxing and MMA officials without any formal medical training past basic first aid are able to stop a fight for a guy who is wobbly (that's essentially 90% of the 10 count rationale going back to like 1920) but we can't have 5 dudes with MD degrees make the same judgment.

Protocol IS and DOES say if they are wobbly at any point they are out.   That IS an observable loss of gross motor skills.

They didn't follow protocol.  They are trying to cover it up with back stuff.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Protocol IS and DOES say if they are wobbly at any point they are out.   That IS an observable loss of gross motor skills.

They didn't follow protocol.  They are trying to cover it up with back stuff.

I'm not even talking about the independent neurologist or team doctors. The ref who stopped play should be flagging down the training staff. This literally happens in HIGH SCHOOL, where officials are paid about $60-$75 a game here in Ohio.

• Like 1

Unfortunately im not surprised last night happened. Anyone who watched the game on Sunday knew he shouldn't have been allowed to return. He obviously had a head injury... head it field, and got up shook his head, and started walking like he was drunk. Even if he passed concussion protocol tests they still should have stayed on side of caution and kept him out

For all the tests he passed in locker room... the inital walking test after the hit should be taken into account. Its just common sense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Doctors will ignore food, water, and shelter in favor of meaningless scientific debate, similar to rats and cocaine.

• Like 1

This feels like a situation where Miami will be made an example of and rightfully so. This is a terrible look for the NFL, and I expect them to come down hard on Miami. It's crazy to think that Miami could go from having two FRPs to 0 all based on poor decisions by their organization. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Doctors will ignore food, water, and shelter in favor of meaningless scientific debate, similar to rats and cocaine.

IMO I think it's a perfect example of a microcosm within society, which is that everyone pretends to care about __________ (in this case head trauma), while actively caring more about CYA and passing the buck.

The official(s): This isn't my job.

The Independent neurologist: He passed the tests. (Side note: Does he/is he made aware or given access to the tape of the wobble after he was pulled out of the game?)

The team medical staff: The independent neurologist cleared him. The athlete says that he can play.

The coaching staff: Will ALWAYS side with whatever the training staff says. ALWAYS.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Look at all these health fanatics. Didn’t know being good at football puts you on the same standing as doctors with medical degrees. Hardly any SB rings between them too, clearly no competitive spirit. Say it from the back, @DontTazeMeBro!

For the millionth time. I never said anyone was soft or lacked competitive spirit. If he didn’t want to play it would’ve been fine. I probably wouldn’t. It’s close to sociopathic that people keep trying to put that opinion on me.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO I think it's a perfect example of a microcosm within society, which is that everyone pretends to care about __________ (in this case head trauma), while actively caring more about CYA and passing the buck.

The official(s): This isn't my job.

The Independent neurologist: He passed the tests. (Side note: Does he/is he made aware or given access to the tape of the wobble after he was pulled out of the game?)

The team medical staff: The independent neurologist cleared him. The athlete says that he can play.

The coaching staff: Will ALWAYS side with whatever the training staff says. ALWAYS.

100%. Not even sure it's a pretending to care, as much as allowing someone to be distracted and overwhelmed with the amount of data. Like, sure he fell over and needed his OL to stabilize him, but he's saying there's back pain and now we've had 3 other people come talk to me about it, and the eye reflex tests came back okay but not great and etc. etc. Suddenly the middle ground looks appealing, because the stakes are high and no one likes being wrong.

If there was one not-so-collaborative jackass in that room going, "hey, do your ******* job, he almost fell over get him out now", everyone snaps back and goes "oh yeah, duh".

We've all been on calls where someone gets lead down a rabbit hole like that. It's human nature.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2