GB offense issues

squire12

Wow.  Just read the last 4 pages.  Wow.

My take away is to simply admit when I'm wrong, because this board does not forget!

But...that's half the fun of football and this board.  Criticize the club.  See how it plays out.  Eat crow if necessary.

BTW...my Gary crow is actually pretty good.  Didn't even need Frank's on it.  Just a little....RANCH!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

100% on the coaching staff. From 4 or 5 mental mistakes to double digits every week ? Are you kidding me ? 

A quote from Belichick that I will never forget and have used in the business world and passed along to my daughter. "Don't tell me what someone can't do, tell me what they can do, and let's see if we can live with that."

Receivers running wrong routes and running into each other. OL whiffing and pulling the wrong way. Drops, fumbles, passes bouncing off of facemasks, penalties, special teams clown show. MLF must be using MM's massage therapist. If you can't teach, you can't coach. This isn't the 70's where guys had to sit for 3 years before producing. Coaching staffs across the league are having no problem getting their young players ready to contribute without looking like a team that shouldn't be wearing matching uniforms

Spot on.   Rodgers isn't the major problem here.  He needs to play better too.  How many player on this roster are playing better than they did last year???  I'll wait while we name them,  2 maybe 3????  That's coaching and motivation.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Spot on.   Rodgers isn't the major problem here.  He needs to play better too.  How many player on this roster are playing better than they did last year???  I'll wait while we name them,  2 maybe 3????  That's coaching and motivation.  

You got a point here.

I think Gary, Amos, Clark ,and Rasul have played well. Keep Rasul on the boundary.

Campbell Just played out his mind last year. 

Outside of Jaire majority of the Corners/DBs we've had over the years tend to regress after a great rookie campaign. IDK what's going on. 

Entire Offense But Aaron Jones and Lazard took a step or 4 back.

I feel like I have achieved good emotional balance regarding this team.

If you have ever tried to get on a Segway you may have experienced that crazy bucking that comes with assuming that you must control it. That's how this season has begun for me. I assumed I knew what would happen and the results have bucked me around as I refused to accept what was happening.

When you relax, the Segway will take care of you and roll along peacefully. I honestly am now a passive observer; the ride smooths out, uninfluenced by my petty expectations for offensive competence.

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not good. Only question is whether this is more of a LaFleur problem (who's offense is predicated on not needing superb talent at WR) or the lack of talent at WR. 

Probably a good mix of both.

This is a scheme problem. Washington was able to predict and/or recognize the Packer's offensive scheme and call the correct defense 70% of the time. MLF isn't fooling anybody.

Andy Herman described a play where 3 Packer receivers ended up within 8 yards of each other in the middle of the field, neatly covered by 4 Washington defenders, and a safety deeper. If this is the crap is happening on 20% of the offensive snaps, I don't even know what to say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

This is a scheme problem. Washington was able to predict and/or recognize the Packer's offensive scheme and call the correct defense 70% of the time. MLF isn't fooling anybody.

What's the % of passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage ?? Makes it awfully easy to cover guys. Gilbert Brown could play CB against the Packers

• Like 3

Not sure I would even be comfortable saying the Packers are running MLF's scheme anymore.  Let's look at his general usage of the run since he was OC of the Rams in 2017

• 2017 Rams - 9th in rushing attempts
  • 2018 Titans - 9th in rushing attempts
  • 2019 Packers - 13th in rushing attempts
  • 2020 Packers - 12th in rushing attempts
  • 2021 Packers - 17th in rushing attempts
  • 2022 Packers - 21st in rushing attempts

Which tracks with the general impression of watching the team.  MLF's entire scheme is predicated around stretching the defense horizontally using the run game; it's sort of a hybrid of McVay's "Never not 11 personnel" approach that puts defenders in alignments they aren't used to playing and Shanahan's "**** it 11 FBs" approach that makes it hard to match personnel for the DC.  Packers personnel grouping usage is a half and half mix between the Rams and the 49ers for the same reason: as an example, Rams used 11 personnel on 86% of total plays in 2021, 49ers 48%, and the Packers used it 61%. 

MLF's ideal offense puts stress on defenders laterally, with a lot of mixed tight/wide alignment, lots of motion, and a liberal use of TEs and big receivers in the slot.  It's tough as a defender, because it really makes it difficult to A) be sure of your assignment, as motion and offensive alignments can muddy the waters right up to the snap, and B) actually defend all the possible play designs at once.  If you're the outside edge guy and you're expecting a down block from the TE and they instead run away from you, it's hard to give aggressive pursuit because you were getting ready to anchor and nobody hit you.  Then the next time they line up in this same formation, you read it correctly and pursue hard only to find out it was split zone this time and the cut block absolutely wipes you out.  The next time, all three of those options are in your head and your hesitation kills your first step because oops its a passing play. 

The problem is you have to commit to this for it to work.  There's no point setting up future plays if you never run them.  Rodgers's need to control the game flow and have the ball in his hands means they rarely if ever set anything up.  This is part of why the short passing game isn't working as a run game replacement right now; it doesn't bring in any uncertainty or alter the defensive game plan at all.  Every single defense gets to play the run on the way to the QB; there's literally nothing to fear from a counter-punch angle.  Rodgers wants so badly to be able to take control of the game, but his attempts to do it are killing the offense because this group is not built to go spread formation shotgun and let Aaron read it pre-snap.  There's not near enough chemistry with this receiver group to be sure you're making the same reads from QB to WR, and most of their best players shine more in the run game anyway.

The team 100% needs to actually run play sequences that put the brakes on the pass rush, and frankly probably run more man blocking in the run game because right now their guys can't find work for **** when they run zone. 

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 6

Meanwhile, MVS has 22 receptions for 369 yards.

Gute is an actual idiot. If you’re not going to make a move to replace Adams with an elite WR, you’ve got to keep players Rodgers is familiar with.

Cobb, Lazard, MVS and Doubs I bet we’d be a lot better right now.

MVS would probably have 600 yards receiving on this team by now and we wouldn’t look so terrible.

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Andy Herman described a play where 3 Packer receivers ended up within 8 yards of each other in the middle of the field, neatly covered by 4 Washington defenders, and a safety deeper. If this is the crap is happening on 20% of the offensive snaps, I don't even know what to say

If 3 receivers are covered by 5 defenders, there should be 2 other pass catchers in 1:1 situations or better. 

• Like 1