The Zebras Have Arrived

ronjon1990

Have egregiously bad calls ever had more of a direct outcome on games than on 10/09/2021? 

There's always a bad call or two here and there, but today's seemed particularly bad. 

If I were Arthur Smith, I would've pulled my team off the field and left. 

Zebras for MVP this year seems like a lock, no?

Anyways, how long before the NFL is forced to start issuing legitimate statements and holding refs accountable/bringing more plays/penalties under the umbrella of reviews?

What do you think has to happen before it occurs?

A team walking out of a game?

An owner throwing a legitimate fit?

Players sabotaging the product to the point of it being unwatchable and hitting the league where it hurts? 

Edited by ronjon1990

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Have egregiously bad calls ever had more of a direct outcome on games than on 10/09/2021? 

There's always a bad call or two here and there, but today's seemed particularly bad. 

Anyways, how long before the NFL is forced to start issuing legitimate statements and holding refs accountable/bringing more plays/penalties under the umbrella of reviews?

Players sabotaging the product to the point of it being unwatchable and hitting the league where it hurts? 

This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of refs. You aren’t going to get much better refs and if you start “holding them accountable” aka fining them, a bunch of good refs will just say “screw this I don’t need it” and walk away. 

lol this thread. Maybe next time don't fall into a 21-0 hole and doing nothing on offense for 75% of the game? No one likes bad calls, but let's not act like that EXACTLY why ATL lost.

No one shed us a tear when holding wasn't called on the Tyree catch or when the refs picked up the flag that cost us against Carolina in 2013. **** like that is part of the game as much as we hate them.

Edited by biggie.

27 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Have egregiously bad calls ever had more of a direct outcome on games than on 10/09/2021

So they arrived last year?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Have egregiously bad calls ever had more of a direct outcome on games than on 10/09/2021

Oof. And yes. It's consistent with the level of officiating since at least 2018. Not to say the ineptitude is acceptable; the NFL and employed refs should strive for better (and because I don't know if that's possible because of human error, the league should pursue technological implementations to ease the burden).

And to directly answer your question: the weeks with replacement refs. @ Baltimorefans and @GreenBayfans

Edited by Duluther

I am beginning to question the integrity of the game again. Usually 1 or 2 bad calls happen once a week, but it seems like they’re occurring more and more frequently with teams I have zero vested interest in.

I’m also beginning to question if coaches and players get involved with gambling.

The ending of the Browns vs Chargers game with absolute moronic decision hot potato between Jacoby Brissett vs Brandon Staley vs Kevin Stefanski was unbelievable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m also beginning to question if coaches and players get involved with gambling.

I think they always have, even though the NFL will tell you that there hasn't been a fixed game in over 60 years.

The refs do most of the fixing in these sports, but some players can be bought if the right conditions are met.

Former players like Larry Johnson, Junior Galette, and Dwight Smith have come out and said that they fix the game. Smith (who helped Tampa win SB 37) said that the SB is decided by Vegas, not the NFL:

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of refs. You aren’t going to get much better refs and if you start “holding them accountable” aka fining them, a bunch of good refs will just say “screw this I don’t need it” and walk away. 

Agreed, just like any job, you can’t put people under a microscope, as those are horrendous work conditions. The NFL does evaluate every ref every game and talks to them about what they liked and didn’t like. But punishing them over any mistake is absurd, and a toxic work environment. 

No one should expect perfection, or even close to perfection on a job. Unless you are like a nuclear power plant operator or pilot or something. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Larry Johnson

"Since 2020, Johnson has been criticized for posts on his Twitter account including antisemitic tropes such as claiming Jews worship Satan, and attributing fake quotes to the Bible.[32] As such Twitter comments continued into August 2020, CNN reporter Jake Tapper called them explicitly "antisemitic garbage",[33][34] due to references to a "jewish cabal" and posting alleged quotes regarding "jews toy(ing) with the public as a cat toys with a mouse" or worshipping [satan]."[35] Johnson's tweets have also touched on topics common among conspiracy theory proponents, including freemasonry.[36] He frequently tweets conspiracy theories about celebrity deaths, including the death of Kobe Bryant, which he claimed that LeBron James made a "blood sacrifice" to kill Bryant in exchange for the Los Angeles Lakers winning the 2020 NBA Finals.[37] He also claims Tom Brady and other NFL players are part of the occult, and that the NFL rigs and scripts games."

Yeah, sounds like someone I'm going to take seriously.

• Like 1