Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

56 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I think it had more to do with them getting a jump on head coaching candidates. They already knew Mac was done. 7 straight playoff losses with a Hall of fame QB was unacceptable and it was time to move on.

Murphy already knew who he had in mind for his new head coach and wanted to get the jump and vetting process started early.

This is correct. McCarthy was let go on December 2nd at a time when college candidates are making decisions about their futures.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

And now how many straight playoff losses does MLF have? Three? And this year he won't even make the playoffs. Last year's playoff loss was the most egregious. That special teams coach should have been fired mid-season. I think MLF is too nice. He would be a great friend and neighbor, but not a HC in the NFL. He's given Barry way too much leash; same with players like Savage, Amari Rodgers, and Sammy Watkins. 

Now he's brought in a retired defensive player to help with offense game planning. What does that say about Steno? What I'm trying to say is MLF seems to have a real problem judging coaching ability. MLF got lucky coming into a sweet situation, but now things are changing. The other NFC North teams are getting much better, Rodgers is on the decline, and we are in salary cap heck. I can see MLF being out of GB after next season. 

Matt and Gute are tied at the hip with this mess. Gute has made a lot of draft mistakes that set this team back. When you continue to draft bad you have to overpay in FA to correct those mistakes. That's a bad scenario when you're already paying your QB over 13% of the cap. Matt has made a lot of mistakes with hiring assistants that's not on Gute.

Maybe Lafleur doesn’t have many coaching connections out there. He really wanted Leonard but settled for Barry because they were staff mates on a few teams. I blame Gute for Savage and Amari. Both turned out to be bad players for this team. Getting rid of Rodgers was the right move, paying that 5th year option on Savage was a bad move. We're stuck with him.

Steno is not a good OC and needs to go back to what he's best at, the OL. You're right Lafleur is too nice for his own good, he won't hurt Steno's feelings and will continue to let him drag the offense down just like Drayton last year with ST. He's too afraid to throw people under the bus always taking the blame for the incompetence of his players and coordinators. 

Not firing Drayton cost us a SB championship. This is a business of accountability, time to start holding players and staff accountable. If you can't it's time for you to go as HC.

• Like 2

I can assure all of you none of our offensive struggles have anything to do with Steno at OC, he's probably not doing anything a hell of a lot different than he was last year when it comes to responsibility. The scapegoat on our staff needs to be Vrabel. No development from our WRs, nothing exciting about our pass game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I can assure all of you none of our offensive struggles have anything to do with Steno at OC, he's probably not doing anything a hell of a lot different than he was last year when it comes to responsibility. The scapegoat on our staff needs to be Vrabel. No development from our WRs, nothing exciting about our pass game.

Are you suggesting Vrabel didn't teach Watson how to run fast and be tall?

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 4:46 PM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

In his press conference, it sounds like MLF is ticked about the coverage breakdowns. Suggested there may be some changes. Hum.

It sounded like player changes, because he said that he knows things are being communicated to the players properly.  He basically said the players are failing to execute.  Hopefully they are demoting Savage .. he seems to be screwing up with regularity.

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It sounded like player changes, because he said that he knows things are being communicated to the players properly.  He basically said the players are failing to execute.  Hopefully they are demoting Savage .. he seems to be screwing up with regularity.

saw this same thing mentioned in the packers.com Q&A. It all points to savage getting benched, potentially. Then again, Ford had a great game last week and then had a PFF grade of like a 26 against the Titans. With grades like that, it's almost like choosing between which **** sandwich to eat. 

I'm trying to run through the coaches' film of every game from the Commanders to now with an eye on Savage in particular and the defense in the abstract, so hopefully I'll have some kind of better sense of what's going on in a few days.  At the moment the only real note I have is man do I hate the defensive philosophy that Barry's working from.  I've never liked having your DL two-gap more than is absolutely necessary because A) it passes initiative to the offense, B) it requires everyone on the line to at least stalemate their rep, and C) it requires significantly more thinking which is never good on defense.  You're already playing at a disadvantage (the offense knows the play, defense is reacting to the offense) so why tack on the extra burden of having to make split second decisions about your assignment?  In just every way it works against the nature of the modern NFL game.  Back when most runs were between the tackles and RBs were sturdier but slower, it made sense, but in 2022 asking your DL/LB group to try and read a 4.4 guy who's too small to easily find behind the line in time to play the correct gap?  Yeah that's a death sentence.

So Barry asking his undersized DL group to two-gap every run play so that his freak athlete rookie LB can get nothing from his athleticism because he's too busy trying to read J. Reed getting carried away by a double team while the line of scrimmage gets reset into his lap? 

I don't love it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm trying to run through the coaches' film of every game from the Commanders to now with an eye on Savage in particular and the defense in the abstract, so hopefully I'll have some kind of better sense of what's going on in a few days.  At the moment the only real note I have is man do I hate the defensive philosophy that Barry's working from.  I've never liked having your DL two-gap more than is absolutely necessary because A) it passes initiative to the offense, B) it requires everyone on the line to at least stalemate their rep, and C) it requires significantly more thinking which is never good on defense.  You're already playing at a disadvantage (the offense knows the play, defense is reacting to the offense) so why tack on the extra burden of having to make split second decisions about your assignment?  In just every way it works against the nature of the modern NFL game.  Back when most runs were between the tackles and RBs were sturdier but slower, it made sense, but in 2022 asking your DL/LB group to try and read a 4.4 guy who's too small to easily find behind the line in time to play the correct gap?  Yeah that's a death sentence.

So Barry asking his undersized DL group to two-gap every run play so that his freak athlete rookie LB can get nothing from his athleticism because he's too busy trying to read J. Reed getting carried away by a double team while the line of scrimmage gets reset into his lap? 

I don't love it.

Capers 2 gapped too, but im not sure about Pettine.

and I hate two gapping. I dont see what solution it provides and finding guys that can two gap effectively seems to be just as difficult as finding better pass rushers.

3 hours ago, persiandud said:

this defense can be top 10 if we hire a DC that plays to it's strengths

firing Joe Barry has to happen if this team wants to have a serious shot at making the SB next season

I really don't think so tbh

Team is losing Amos, has an injured Gary and Stokes, and has Campbell underperforming.

Unless both Wyatt and Walker grow into top 15 players at their position I'm not sure it really has the horses.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, Packerraymond said:

If he's doing nothing more than last year yet occupying a role that demands strategy, he is hurting simply by not helping.

Only 24 hours in the day, sounds to me like MLF is trying to pick up TOO much slack in TOO many places.  OC, DC, etc.  Maybe if Steno could do the job, he would be more comfortable spending time with the defense and Barry.

Maybe if Barry could do the job, he could refocus on the OC and game plan.  Maybe if both could do the job, he could better wrangle the Diva QB.

Coaching is bad across the board on this team.  Very little talent at the most important spots.