Robbie Anderson Shipped off to Arizona

bigbadbuff

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

What's his issue anyways?

Doesn't always finish his routes.  This was most noticeable last year, although maybe some blame can be directed at Brady's offense and route concepts.  Hands are... inconsistent at best.  And he can be very outspoken.  Clearly had an issue with Sam Darnold last year, which fair Darnold was bad but you can't act like that as his receiver.  

On the other hand, in the right offense with the right QB, I have no doubt he could be one of the best deep threats in the league.  That's his bread and butter.  Great speed, unfortunately not a single QB has been able to take advantage.  Bridgewater managed to do so the first half of 2020, but it was downhill from there.  I think a motivated Anderson is definitely a quality #2.  

I think the trio of Hopkins/Moore/Anderson complements each other very well.  Moore underneath, Hopkins across the middle (really everywhere on the field), and Anderson downfield.  Plus Ertz at TE.  Really just a matter of Kingsbury capitalizing on the talent at his disposal... which I'm skeptical of him doing.  

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

What's his issue anyways?

He was a medium sized fish in a puddle and acts like a whale now. 

He's a solid enough deep threat, but deep threats are rarely truly WR1 or even WR2 on a consistent basis on good offenses of winning teams. 

And that's what he wants- to be a deep threat WR1 on a good offense on a good team, and those things all coming together at one time is a rare occurrence with how offenses and defenses  are designed these days. When it doesn't happen, he gets pissy. 

For Arizona, it's sensible enough since Brown is out. Anderson will probably pop a bit here and there, but he's gonna wind up 3rd or even 4th in the pecking order because Hopkins is clearly WR1, Moore is better in the short-intermediate game, Ertz gets targets, and Murray doesn't have all day to take deep shots with the OL and his own penchant for running around not always working out. And once that starts to happen, he's going to throw a hissy fit again. 

Edited by ronjon1990

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Doesn't always finish his routes.  This was most noticeable last year, although maybe some blame can be directed at Brady's offense and route concepts.  Hands are... inconsistent at best.  And he can be very outspoken.  Clearly had an issue with Sam Darnold last year, which fair Darnold was bad but you can't act like that as his receiver. 

This has been the story since both were on the Jets. Robby would pull up and Darnold would end up overthrowing him. Also, the dude couldn't run a slant to save his life. He projects like he's the best receiver in the league but he's a discount DJax at best.

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

On the other hand, in the right offense with the right QB, I have no doubt he could be one of the best deep threats in the league.  That's his bread and butter.  Great speed, unfortunately not a single QB has been able to take advantage.  Bridgewater managed to do so the first half of 2020, but it was downhill from there.  I think a motivated Anderson is definitely a quality #2.  

I think the trio of Hopkins/Moore/Anderson complements each other very well.  Moore underneath, Hopkins across the middle (really everywhere on the field), and Anderson downfield.  Plus Ertz at TE.  Really just a matter of Kingsbury capitalizing on the talent at his disposal... which I'm skeptical of him doing.  

WRs not finishing their routes was already a big problem here in AZ this season. Greg Dortch called them out in the week 3 post-game conference. AJ Green specifically would run the first 10 yards and then kinda just jog and float around, or not turn around when the ball was coming his way. Too many of these WRs are in the mind-set of "if I don't get it in 3 seconds, I'm not getting it" when Kyler is capable of keeping plays alive for literally 20 seconds. That's why Dortch was getting funneled the ball so much early. So it's going to be annoying if Robbie Anderson just continues with the problems we already had.

After reviewing the All-22 of the last few games, it honestly feels more like a synchronization issue than a playcalling issue. Most plays, I see multiple WRs with several yards of cushion, sometimes wide open. But it's a combo of Kyler throwing off his back foot as he runs for his life, him not seeing them, other WRs stopping on their routes when they HAVE a runway, AJ Green STILL NOT TURNING HIS HEAD AROUND.

Pass rushers are getting free shots to Kyler up the middle when Rod Hudson's heart isn't in it anymore (he had previously stated he wasn't returning in 2022 until like August when he finally came back). He also has dealt with a number of injuries and missed time. Justin Pugh, same story with multiple injuries and missing time. When you have Max Garcia and "0.0 pass blocking grade" Sean Harlow playing, guys are gonna have a heyday in the middle. Kelvin Beachum has regressed each season as his age has been catching up to him, and he's not a major liability at RT.

So combine the pass blocking issues with a creative QB running for his life and this being a timing-based offense, and EVERYTHING has been out of sync.

But in reviewing the film, the offense SHOULD be there. It's really frustrating because there's a different issue every snap. And Kliff has tried to mask a bad OL for years with one of the shortest average depths of route in the league (like, less then 7 yards or something like that) but defenses know what's coming and the OL has gotten to the point where even THAT won't work.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:27 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

well now it makes sense

and i commend arizona for doing everything possible to give kyler murray weapons.

looks angrily at Eric Decosta

If you give Lamar NFL quality weapons then he will be successful and the Ravens are betting against their QB with his current contract situation.