Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

The Packers were ready to move on from Favre with Rodgers.  That's far from the case for Love.  The Packers signed Rodgers to 3 one year contracts making him the highest paid player in the game.  That says a lot.  I'm not saying Love is a bust, I'm just saying if you want the next franchise QB, start looking.  Love might be in the league for awhile, but he'll be a middle of the road starter always looking over his shoulder.   JMO

Yea. I'm not gonna re-hash whatever someone wants to takes issue with it. The two situations have been beat to death and they were different much more than similar. Just passing along info and people can do with it what they want. 

20 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Think they have to walk softly because of that ridiculously structured contract they gave Rodgers. Trading Jones would be showing Rodgers that the Packers are not committed to win. He already said in January he doesn't want to be apart of a rebuild. By selling key pieces like Jones may lead Rodgers not to come back next season leaving us with that enormous cap hit. Probably Gute's worse nightmare.

I agree with you, and maybe if Rodgers was playing at an MVP caliber I would be supportive of that line of thinking, but at some point the franchise needs to take back control and not let themselves be held hostage by a guy who doesn’t care what the post Rodgers future looks like in GB.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

I 100% believe they had intended to move on from Jones after this year.  Now I am 100% convinced they cannot.  If they were planning on releasing him, they should have traded him today and picked up a 2nd round pick +.  

I think they will try to rework Jones deal.  I'm not sure how successful they'll be in retaining him.  I hope they can keep him but understand if they can't or he wants to go.

48 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

I 100% believe they had intended to move on from Jones after this year.  Now I am 100% convinced they cannot.  If they were planning on releasing him, they should have traded him today and picked up a 2nd round pick +.  

As good as Aaron Jones is, I don't think anyone is trading a SRP+ for him.

The offense is what it is... My disappointment is still this defense. with the non stop capital we put into it year after year after year, and we aren't nasty. We aren't physical. We aren't horrible, but damnit I want more! I'm glad we didn't get any WR. Let Cobb, Watkins, Watson get healthy while continuing to give the young guys playing time and keep trying to figure this out. I have more faith in the offense figuring it out and getting in tune than I do this defense actually playing up to their full potential...

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

The offense is what it is... My disappointment is still this defense. with the non stop capital we put into it year after year after year, and we aren't nasty. We aren't physical. We aren't horrible, but damnit I want more! I'm glad we didn't get any WR. Let Cobb, Watkins, Watson get healthy while continuing to give the young guys playing time and keep trying to figure this out. I have more faith in the offense figuring it out and getting in tune than I do this defense actually playing up to their full potential...

I actually snorted while reading that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Jones and Gary are literally the only players on the team I enjoy watching right now.

I think Jaire goes without saying too but I’ve got a good deal of appreciation for watching the efforts from Preston, Kenny, Rasul. 

Then the young guys in Doubs, Watson (when he’s played), Quay, Wyatt, Kingsley, etc are fun to watch at times. 

While trading for a WR who was a great fit and at a fair price in terms of draft collateral would have been nice, nevertheless, after what we've seen through 8 games. trading a high pick for one of these WR's which were on the trade market was not going to win us a Super Bowl this year. It may not even get us to the playoffs. A WR isn't going to solve the problems with the Defense and the Oline. This 3-5 team is not a legit Super Bowl contender this year. I'm sorry, but it isn't. At best, a Wild Card team that falls short of the NFC Championship, although even that is doubtful at this point. So I myself am ok with them failing to make a trade for a WR now, that is, one that makes sense as far as fit and price. We weren't going to win a Super Bowl with just a new WR this year anyways. There's always hope for next year. Always. Of course, that may take alot of offseason moves which are not all trade related. Like, perhaps alot of firings. 

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1