Week 8 GDT - Bears v. "America's Team"

HuskieBear

Sometimes I like to imagine what Fields would look like this season and if there would be even more development if we didn’t have the worst WR core in the league.

Imagine what the conversation would be tomorrow if Velus could catch and if ESB actually played like he was 6’5”?

• Like 1

The flipside of the WR's not really being good at catching things, is Harry, Pringle, EQSB, and Mooney are all really really good blocking WR...... and that has probably been a really underrated factor in our outside running scheme.

Obviously it'd be better if they could do their primary job of receiving..... but there could be a not insignificant loss to the running game if we start replacing them with real WR.

Edited by Epyon

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Sometimes I like to imagine what Fields would look like this season and if there would be even more development if we didn’t have the worst WR core in the league.

Imagine what the conversation would be tomorrow if Velus could catch and if ESB actually played like he was 6’5”?

I think the packers might have the league’s worst receiver corps 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I really think with his run blocking he is the long term answer at LG. He's a plus runblocker and forth interior is a damn good athlete. It's where I believe he should have been playing from the start. 

He’s a fine athlete (I thought he’d jump when he trimmed down in the NFL, hasn’t really happened) but I think we are shooting higher than what he would bring in this scheme.

Honestly I’d rather overpay Whitehair next year, who looked really good in this system, than try to see if Borom fits. 

• Like 1

Was busy all day and night yesterday.  Got home at 9:30 and to bed after 10, fell asleep watching first quarter.  Listened to some takes on game and read board.

From first the bottom line the defensive front seven was on strike or something. Holes were 3 yards wide.  You are going to get killed if that is case.  The got dominated.

First pass of game was a bummer.  But looks like Fields settled in and played well most of rest of way.   Not unusual for early passes to be off because guys aren’t settled in mentally.   

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

He’s a fine athlete (I thought he’d jump when he trimmed down in the NFL, hasn’t really happened) but I think we are shooting higher than what he would bring in this scheme.

Honestly I’d rather overpay Whitehair next year, who looked really good in this system, than try to see if Borom fits. 

I view Borom as a cheap swing OG/OT. He's young with starting experience, but it's clear he's not a long-term starter.

I doubt the Bears get anything in a trade. Maybe a 6th at best. I'll take Borom as a backup over a late round pick.

Edited by abstract_thought

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I view Borom as a cheap swing OG/OT. He's young with starting experience, but it's clear he's not a long-term starter.

I doubt the Bears get anything in a trade. Maybe a 6th at best. I'll take Borom as a backup over a late round pick.

Ive seen you say that alot, it really doesnt mean anything. Sam Mustipher has "starting experience" what does that mean for him?

Its fine to want him as a Jack of all Trades backup. He would be solid to have there, but 2 things, as I've stated its only for 2 more seasons. But more importantly, hes not going to want to do that (as a guy who already has stated hes a Tackle in his young career).

I think a 6th is the likely return, but could definitely be a 5th, especially if the OL market dries up quickly and some cap strapped teams could take a shot at a OT. I swap another Braxton Jones/Dominique Robinson (and their 4 years of team control) over Borom as a backup for 2 years.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive seen you say that alot, it really doesnt mean anything. Sam Mustipher has "starting experience" what does that mean for him?

Its fine to want him as a Jack of all Trades backup. He would be solid to have there, but 2 things, as I've stated its only for 2 more seasons. But more importantly, hes not going to want to do that (as a guy who already has stated hes a Tackle in his young career).

I think a 6th is the likely return, but could definitely be a 5th, especially if the OL market dries up quickly and some cap strapped teams could take a shot at a OT. I swap another Braxton Jones/Dominique Robinson (and their 4 years of team control) over Borom as a backup for 2 years.

Starting experience just means we already have a baseline for Borom against NFL players. I just don't think you're likely to find a better player by trading him for a pick. Dealing Borom, for me, is gambling a known NFL player for 2 extra years of a total unknown.

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Im telling you guys.....top C is the answer.... RT can be a generic guy, but we need that Center to QB exchange to be on point....there is at least one snap fumble every game...I think there might have 2 every game.

Depends on how Getsy uses him. We have seen both Jones and Borom get put on complete islands against really good passrushers. It was clear they were outmatched but he still didn't help them much.  That kind of pressure makes RT a much bigger issue than needing a genetic guy imo. 

That being said center is a massive hole that needs upgraded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Depends on how Getsy uses him. We have seen both Jones and Borom get put on complete islands against really good passrushers. It was clear they were outmatched but he still didn't help them much.  That kind of pressure makes RT a much bigger issue than needing a genetic guy imo. 

That being said center is a massive hole that needs upgraded. 

I agree we need to get better across the board.

I just think that Center position changes a weakness to one of the better interiors in the league.....especially for a young QB who might not be able to call out his own protections. And for a scrambler, RT is like the least of our worries.

• Like 1

When you watch Velus run - he is really good.   Really good.

That catch he dropped was hard.

But that being said, he doesn't have plus hands.   I still think he has value because he is so good at running with the ball.   

People are writing him off too soon still.

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean, if you can’t catch the ball at a reliable rate (or punts) it’s hard to be valuable

He can't reliably make the hard catches.  He can catch.   Put 2 good WRs on a field with him and it will look a lot different.   He can stretch a field because he can get behind you.

He is not a punt returner.  He can be a good KR, gunner, and 4th WR.

There is no player on team that can hit outside runs as well as he can on jets.   He is getting first downs where others wouldn't.  Two of those a game makes a difference to a team.  

He can line up in backfield as well like Patterson.