Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Hock played with Noah Fant, right? how is he doing? who's had a better NFL career so far?

Hockenson...and it's not even close.  Don't care about the stats.  Plus, even if Hockenson's blocking isn't high-end right now, it's still better than Fant, who has zero interest in blocking anyone.  

• Like 2

So I've just read that TJs parents used to drive to every Lions home game to watch him play. The trade to Minn cuts the drive in half and TJs dad is also a Vikings fan.

Could we be in for a home-town discount to sign him for a long-term deal?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, viking said:

So I've just read that TJs parents used to drive to every Lions home game to watch him play. The trade to Minn cuts the drive in half and TJs dad is also a Vikings fan.

Could we be in for a home-town discount to sign him for a long-term deal?

No, there won't be a discount...he'll likely still get the going-rate because there is no real significant history...and the going-rate will probably still be somewhere in the neighborhood of $14-15M for a TE of his caliber.

• 3 weeks later...

Hockenson: "Just super excited to be here. It really is a blessing, not just for me but for my entire family. This is an incredible opportunity I have. This organization is awesome."

https://www.vikings.com/video/hockenson-on-his-first-vikings-td-i-m-super-grateful-for-our-fans-and-this-organ

four weeks on the team now and still excited.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Hockenson: "Just super excited to be here. It really is a blessing, not just for me but for my entire family. This is an incredible opportunity I have. This organization is awesome."

https://www.vikings.com/video/hockenson-on-his-first-vikings-td-i-m-super-grateful-for-our-fans-and-this-organ

four weeks on the team now and still excited.

***cough cough*** hometown discount ***cough cough***

• Like 1

Irv Smith was placed on injured reserve at the start of November, and the Minnesota Vikings somehow improved on offense. For four consecutive offseasons, the Vikings tight end was forecasted for a “breakout season,” as fans and pundits applauded Smith’s youth and athleticism.

Thankfully for the Vikings sake, Smith’s “replacement” in the short and long term has emerged to be everything folks craved from Smith himself. He’s T.J. Hockenson, acquired from the Detroit Lions right before the trade deadline. In many ways, the swap with Detroit was an “in with Hock, out with Smith” transaction, although Smith was not traded to Detroit.

Since getting acquired by the Vikings, Hockenson is the NFL’s third-most targeted TE (8.5 per game), behind only Travis Kelce and Pat Freiermuth since the start of Week 9. The Vikings traded ample draft capital for a commodity — and they’re using the asset to the utmost within the offense. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

Since becoming a Viking, Hockenson has accrued 192 receiving yards on 26 catches for 1 touchdown. His per-game statline spread over a full regular season is what fans craved from Smith. He’s also likely the TE1 of the future, as Smith is in his final contractual year. In March, Minnesota must decide to retain the Alabama alumnus or let him test free agency. Because Hockenson is now “the guy” at TE1, Smith can probably command more money on the open market from a non-Vikings team.

Still, the 2022 season isn’t over. If Smith’s health trends in the right direction, Minnesota may experience the Hockenson-Smith combo platter in January and perhaps February if the good voodoo continues.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/top_news/what-folks-craved-from-irv-smith-theyre-getting-from-the-new-guy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Keep Smith too? let him walk? what does the Clan say?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Irv Smith was placed on injured reserve at the start of November, and the Minnesota Vikings somehow improved on offense. For four consecutive offseasons, the Vikings tight end was forecasted for a “breakout season,” as fans and pundits applauded Smith’s youth and athleticism.

Thankfully for the Vikings sake, Smith’s “replacement” in the short and long term has emerged to be everything folks craved from Smith himself. He’s T.J. Hockenson, acquired from the Detroit Lions right before the trade deadline. In many ways, the swap with Detroit was an “in with Hock, out with Smith” transaction, although Smith was not traded to Detroit.

Since getting acquired by the Vikings, Hockenson is the NFL’s third-most targeted TE (8.5 per game), behind only Travis Kelce and Pat Freiermuth since the start of Week 9. The Vikings traded ample draft capital for a commodity — and they’re using the asset to the utmost within the offense. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

Since becoming a Viking, Hockenson has accrued 192 receiving yards on 26 catches for 1 touchdown. His per-game statline spread over a full regular season is what fans craved from Smith. He’s also likely the TE1 of the future, as Smith is in his final contractual year. In March, Minnesota must decide to retain the Alabama alumnus or let him test free agency. Because Hockenson is now “the guy” at TE1, Smith can probably command more money on the open market from a non-Vikings team.

Still, the 2022 season isn’t over. If Smith’s health trends in the right direction, Minnesota may experience the Hockenson-Smith combo platter in January and perhaps February if the good voodoo continues.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/top_news/what-folks-craved-from-irv-smith-theyre-getting-from-the-new-guy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Keep Smith too? let him walk? what does the Clan say?

Let him walk. If we get a compensatory pick for him, that will be his biggest contribution to the Vikings. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

what would Irv's salary be next year? what is Mundt's?

Mundt has a cap number of 1.23 million next year (100k dead cap if cut). Irv is an UFA and they won't use the franchise tag on him. I am guessing he gets a Brate or Hooper-esque 2 year 12 million dollar deal from another team with little guaranteed in year 2.

• Like 1

Seth says that staving off fourth quarter regression on offense could also be about personnel, in particular new tight end TJ Hockenson.

“Hockenson getting there has changed the mentality from O’Connell and Cousins with how aggressive they can be,” Seth said. “Pre-Hockenson Cousins had a 6.1 average depth of target, which was 35th of 36 quarterbacks. Post-Hockenson trade he’s up to 8.1 ADoT, which is 12th in the league right now…

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/why-are-the-vikings-so-good-in-the-fourth-quarter

• Like 4