Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d certainly have him ahead of Waller. But Hock, Andrews and Goedert are basically all the same guy. 

Maybe. A full offseason in this offense might prove otherwise. I think it takes a special talent to come in midseason and do what he did last year. But this is a fair assessment right now.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Vikings tight end T.J. Hockenson had been out with an ear infection that was affecting his equilibrium.

But now that Hockenson has recovered from that, a new issue is keeping him sidelined. Minnesota head coach Kevin O’Connell told reporters on Wednesday that Hockenson is dealing with lower-back stiffness and didn’t practice in the day’s joint session with the Vikings.

O’Connell: "We just want to be smart with guys we know we’re going to be relying on and make sure that their preparation for [the regular season] is what we want."

Hockenson is entering the last year of his rookie contract, but said earlier this week that he’s not focused on trying to get a new deal and that’s not why he’s been missing practice.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/t-j-hockenson-day-to-day-with-lower-back-stiffness

Is this one of those reports just like the “Vikings entertaining offers on Hunter” reports? Only for the player and team to agree to terms that don’t fit the report a day or two later. 

You know, a “report” to generate clicks that doesn’t actually say or report anything.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

The Vikings have control for 3 years. In the meantime, Hockenson takes all of the injury risk. It's in his best interest to come to terms on a realistic deal. His agent is shooting for the moon, knowing he'll have to come back to Earth a bit. Pretty standard negotiation. In the end, Hockenson will probably be paid as a top 3 TE. Somewhere between Kelce's $14.3MM and Waller's $17MM.

• Like 1

Tops I'd give is 4years 17m per year 40m guaranteed - top of the line TE money and wouldn't look like an overpay in a few seasons time.

He's a top 5TE in the league right now but not generational. As others have said the Vikes have contractual control for years and Hock has 0 leverage

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

well then. They better sign him......or my opinion of the FO will drop more.

My opinion is mixed solely because KAM does things completely different than what I'm used to.  I generally liked to consider myself a somewhat analytical person, but KAM takes it to a whole other level that would make me nervous.  However, ultimately, I'll just sit back and see what happens, whether it works or not. 

I personally don't like hardballing on a number just because you could potentially franchise a player twice for less, as that creates other "human" problems down the road, not only that player, but others as well.  But we'll see. 

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I personally don't like hardballing on a number just because you could potentially franchise a player twice for less, as that creates other "human" problems down the road, not only that player, but others as well.  But we'll see. 

This hasn't been the approach with anyone to this point. I have a hard time believing that they would give up a 2nd for him and take that approach less than a year later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This hasn't been the approach with anyone to this point. I have a hard time believing that they would give up a 2nd for him and take that approach less than a year later.

I certainly don't know the actual approach, but that's what seems to be the interpretation from various people, including @Krauser's response on twitter.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:20 AM, viking said:

Tops I'd give is 4years 17m per year 40m guaranteed - top of the line TE money and wouldn't look like an overpay in a few seasons time.

He's a top 5TE in the league right now but not generational. As others have said the Vikes have contractual control for years and Hock has 0 leverage

Deal is 4 years 17.125m so about bang on what I'm happy with.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hockenson feast this year

• Like 5