Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

56 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

for a month i've been saying to myself once the rodgers deal is done i'm gonna dive in deep to draft stuff

I haven't done one of those PFF mock draft things since I decided "okay, I'll wait until I find out what the Rodgers compensation is, because that will affect strategy." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Apparently, neither the Packers or Jets make the cut.........

I guess it depends on how you look at it.  Assuming the Jets are in fact adding Rodgers, it seems fair to say their rookie class won't be a critical factor in their playoff run.

The Packers are clearly in a transition year. Call it a reload or rebuild, but a playoff spot seems unlikely for GB in 2023.

The general idea that a rookie class will make or break a playoff run is kind of dumb to begin with.

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bite your tongue! :)

I mean, if Love is who they hope he is they should be in the mix for a wild card.  The only teams last year that didn't win at least 7 games last year were teams that either didn't have a QB or were without their QB for an extended period and the Bears.

33 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, if Love is who they hope he is they should be in the mix for a wild card.  The only teams last year that didn't win at least 7 games last year were teams that either didn't have a QB or were without their QB for an extended period and the Bears.

I am not expecting the Packers to be good this season.  It is all about growing young players, and evaluating Jordan Love.  If we win games, that is just great.  I also hope to see the team improve as the season goes deeper.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not expecting the Packers to be good this season.  It is all about growing young players, and evaluating Jordan Love.  If we win games, that is just great.  I also hope to see the team improve as the season goes deeper.  

Right-oh, good sir. Up until the first whistle in September we shall all remind ourselves, with English accents for emphasis, that our young lads are inexperienced and we wish only for them to manifest a hearty competitive spirit on the field of play, trusting that it will be in some future season that the fruit of success shall be borne.

Buuut…after the first whistle we’ll be b!tching like crazy people, lamenting the burden of rooting for these idiots.

Unless we win. That we will have foreseen in our unerring football wisdom .

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I haven't done one of those PFF mock draft things since I decided "okay, I'll wait until I find out what the Rodgers compensation is, because that will affect strategy." 

This the first year I haven’t posted a mock on here since like 2010 because of that lol 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yeah, just hoping we see some development, and flashes of what's to come.  I can handle not making the playoffs if we are in games late and make them close.   It's part of growth.

How much do you weigh flags when evaluating prospects regarding:

Character? 

Chronic injuries (always banged up)?

Major Injury (blew out a knee)?

Size requirements?

Competition?

Lack of production?

Lack of testing numbers?

Is there any of things you ignore? Any of them you can't ignore? What are the things that turn you off of a prospect the most?

14 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

How much do you weigh flags when evaluating prospects regarding:

Character? 

Chronic injuries (always banged up)?

Major Injury (blew out a knee)?

Size requirements?

Competition?

Lack of production?

Lack of testing numbers?

Is there any of things you ignore? Any of them you can't ignore? What are the things that turn you off of a prospect the most?

I ignore the first 3, as I have very limited access to that data.

The others all factor into grade.

The thing about character, medical, etc. is that I understand that this is information that is important to teams but will not be made available to me.  But I understand that it's likely tied to the reason a player falls in the draft, and may be the reason a team takes player A over player B.  Like Jawaan Taylor was reliably mocked in the first, but went in the second.  Why?  Bad knees.  I didn't know this in advance, and it didn't weigh into my evaluation of Taylor but it explained why he slipped.  A lot of people like Jachai Polite's ability to rush the passer, but none of us knew how "out there" he was; teams sure did though.

30 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The thing about character, medical, etc. is that I understand that this is information that is important to teams but will not be made available to me.  But I understand that it's likely tied to the reason a player falls in the draft, and may be the reason a team takes player A over player B.  Like Jawaan Taylor was reliably mocked in the first, but went in the second.  Why?  Bad knees.  I didn't know this in advance, and it didn't weigh into my evaluation of Taylor but it explained why he slipped.  A lot of people like Jachai Polite's ability to rush the passer, but none of us knew how "out there" he was; teams sure did though.

This.

But sometimes we get access to that data and know about major injuries (Jaylon Smith) or enormous character flaws (Jalen Carter) and can readily factor those in as fans.

Looking at Jalen Carter's draft stock after his incident, my comparison is a Laremy Tunsil everyone can see coming. Not that I'm comparing WHAT made their stock fall, just that their stock fell and I expect Carter to be selected... roughly similar to where Tunsil was taken, which was still a big fall but he still was a 1st Round selection.

Would raise a lot of questions if he were to fall to #15 however. I'll admit he'd still be tempting, character issues or no- we badly need more impact at DL(even if its the Goatse defense for a reason) and the dude is a Top 5 talent on this board. That said, we could find a need elsewhere BPA be darned and have an excuse to pass on him too.