Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

Absolutely. I'd also say it's about time to start creating an exit strategy for Jones. I think we keep him two more seasons before we let him go.

If we're trading Rodgers and, in a minor rebuild, the time to move Jones is this off season. Draft a guy in round 4-5 and roll with him and Dillion. 

Jones should have some decent value at this point. Two years from now he doesn't. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

If we're trading Rodgers and, in a minor rebuild, the time to move Jones is this off season. Draft a guy in round 4-5 and roll with him and Dillion. 

Jones should have some decent value at this point. Two years from now he doesn't. 

I'm on board with using our top pick on Bijan Robinson.  He is such a good receiver, he will be a great chess piece to create mismatches.  I keep seeing him mocked late in the first but I don't think he makes it out of the top 10. But should he be there? He helps our receiving corps and our running game.

Look what McCaffrey did for the 49ers, Bijan has the same effect for the Packers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

I'm on board with using our top pick on Bijan Robinson.  He is such a good receiver, he will be a great chess piece to create mismatches.  I keep seeing him mocked late in the first but I don't think he makes it out of the top 10. But should he be there? He helps our receiving corps and our running game.

Look what McCaffrey did for the 49ers, Bijan has the same effect for the Packers. 

OH, HELL NO! I wouldn't take a RB until round 3 -4 at the earliest. RBs are a dime a dozen, and you don't use a premium pick on a RB. 

San Francisco made an all-in trade, and it didn't work out. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

OH, HELL NO! I wouldn't take a RB until round 3 -4 at the earliest. RBs are a dime a dozen, and you don't use a premium pick on a RB. 

San Francisco made an all-in trade, and it didn't work out. 

Bijan is not a dime a dozen prospect, and the 49ers lost because they literally ran out of QBs, they were undefeated with CM until that point.

You don't take good RBs in round 1, true field tilting RBs who will be in the mix for All-Pros, you absolutely feel comfortable taking that high.

Bijan is a different dude. No qualms if Gute decided to base our offense around him and grab him at 15.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bijan is not a dime a dozen prospect, and the 49ers lost because they literally ran out of QBs, they were undefeated with CM until that point.

You don't take good RBs in round 1, true field tilting RBs who will be in the mix for All-Pros, you absolutely feel comfortable taking that high.

Bijan is a different dude. No qualms if Gute decided to base our offense around him and grab him at 15.

WE can agree to disagree on this one!

But they were rolling with Garoppolo when this went down, so it was no sure thing at that point. They went all in and it failed, that is not in dispute. The reasons do not matter. 

Edited by Old Guy

Count me as those who would rather have a good RB running behind a great OL than a great RB running behind an average OL. I'd take an OT or even an elite IOL before Robinson. 

A consensus on Robinson has him as #16 overall on big board. Consensus has him going to to Tampa Bay at #19. https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2023/bijan-robinson

• Like 1

Rashan Gary will likely be a shadow of himself next season and another top EDGE would be a huge help to the Packers defense. Luckily the Packers top pick should lineup to land a top Edge rusher in this draft and Lukas Van Ness is the perfect Packers fit. Go watch him and get to know him because there probably will be a lot of chatter about him and the Packers in the coming months.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I guess I'm not ready for a minor rebuild. With the assets and future cap space obtained from a Rodgers trade, this could be more of a "reload" than a rebuild. That could also just be the part of me that wants to watch competitive football next year.

the other side of the coin - I want to surround Love with as much offensive talent as possible, like we did Rodgers in his early years. I see Jones as more of an extension candidate than a trade candidate.

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Rashan Gary will likely be a shadow of himself next season and another top EDGE would be a huge help to the Packers defense. Luckily the Packers top pick should lineup to land a top Edge rusher in this draft and Lukas Van Ness is the perfect Packers fit. Go watch him and get to know him because there probably will be a lot of chatter about him and the Packers in the coming months.  

Van Ness has become a favorite lately as the Packer pick in mock drafts. Michael Mayer has cooled off. Can't rule out Broderick Jones as he's from Georgia.

Count me as one of those that think Van Ness is going to become a Packers draftnik favorite - like Karlaftis.    Really would be interested in hearing from Iowa coaches why he never started.   I'm assuming he would have become a regular starter this season had he stayed at Iowa.   Will turn 22 this summer so still young - not like the grandpa we drafted in 1st rnd last yr.  Good rotational piece now and could be a terror in a couple seasons.