NYRaider

Can we keep the win streak alive?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Back to back wins?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Um....sure boss. 

Nice to see you come weaseling out of the woodworks only when your predictions momentarily pay off? 

Now, about Carr sucking and us drafting Spencer Rattler at 1.1 in 2022......

Spencer Rattler looking like a first rounder now, I don’t miss!

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Aside from Crosby, I'm scared when we resign guys lol. 

It’s going to be an unpopular take but think we should franchise tag him next year and then let him walk. I love the guy to death but his style is not going to age well and RB’s rarely give any sort of ROI on their 2nd contract. 

• Like 2

This team is starting to gel, at least on O.  The Oline is still putrid and the D is an embarrassment but Adams, Carr and Jacobs are all playing much better. The play calling has been suspect too but they are showing improvement, exactly what I have been looking for.  Patience is key with so many new, moving parts. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

It’s going to be an unpopular take but think we should franchise tag him next year and then let him walk. I love the guy to death but his style is not going to age well and RB’s rarely give any sort of ROI on their 2nd contract. 

I don't hate the idea except for the amount of cash the franchise tag will be. I'd be inclined to think about a small year deal but he's going to want a lot of money so not sure I would like it

56 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I don't hate the idea except for the amount of cash the franchise tag will be. I'd be inclined to think about a small year deal but he's going to want a lot of money so not sure I would like it

RB is too deep this year to spend the money. The likelihood that Jacobs keeps it up next year is still limited and, while credit due for staying healthy, criticisms of his availability are still warranted when looking at his total career. 

We have White who really looked good today. Abdullah honestly seems like a keeper as he's solid in the receiving game and returns kicks. We also have Brittain Brown as a wild card depth guy. If we really felt we need another body, Israel Abanikanda (Pitt), Zach Evans (Ole Miss), Kenny McIntosh (Georgia), Eric Gray (Oklahoma), Kendre Miller (TCU), Chase Brown (Illinois), Mohamed Ibrahim (Minnesota), Tavion Thomas (Utah), etc are all options along with FA possibilities like Alexander Mattison. And that probably doesn't really even scratch the surface of guys who might declare or rise between now and then. 

Congrats to Jacobs for earning his money this year, but with his history of injuries, play style, and the nature of RB in the NFL, best to let him go be someone else's risk. We already have a ton of money wrapped up in guys with uncertain futures (Jones, Waller, Renfrow in particular). No need to add to it because we get happy feet, and I don't know that I care to test those waters again with the other holes we have. Last year it was near blasphemy on this board to so much as question Waller, and we see how that's turning out. 

Really I just prefer to thank him for the service and wish him luck wherever he goes. We've seen too many RBs look spectacular, only to fall off a year later. We didn't sign Bolden and Abdullah, draft White and Brown, and then sign McCormick as a UDFA because we were planning on re-signing Jacobs. I see no reason other than fanboyism to deviate from that plan. Had the consistent production and game changing ability been there from day one along with reliability in regard to availability, maybe I feel differently about the cost/benefit surrounding keeping Jacobs. But the facts remains that he's had issues with health in the past, he's going to be expensive, FA/big signing RBs are notorious for falling off a cliff and not rebounding, and McDaniels has, to his credit, gotten great production from RBs of lesser value (Dillon and Maroney in 06, Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk in 08, Moreno and Buckhalter in 09, Jackson and Cadillac Williams in '11, Ridley/Woodhead/Vereen/Bolden in '12, Ridley and Blount in 13, Vereen/Ridley/Gray/Blount in a super timeshare '14, Blount in '16, Lewis/Gillislie/Bulkhead in '17, Michel and White in '18 and '19, Harris/Michel/Newton in a weird '20, and Harris and Stevenson in '21).

For all the crap I give McDaniels, he's always gotten the absolute most out of RBs, and nobody from that list of annually rotating RBs we're guys I would have shelled out big bucks for. For what it's worth, Josh can make mediocre RBs look really good and can make good RBs look great. The truth of the matter is this: Josh Jacobs has proven over his career to be a good RB when healthy. McDaniels has made him look great, and he'll cash in as a result. But nothing about McDaniels' history says the next random guy up is unlikely to look very good as well. It's almost always been case of the next RB up finding really solid success with McDaniels (and past guys rarely replicating said success elsewhere). Maybe Josh Jacobs proves to be the expensive exception to that, and hey since he was a Raider I hope he does, but it just makes no sense financially for us to be the team to try to find out. It's statistically more likely that our next starting RB or timeshare looks really good here while Jacobs struggles somewhere else. No knock on him, it is what it is, and the price tag just isn't justifiable. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Yeah I agree with this. We’ve got so much invested in Renfrow, Adams, Waller and Carr not sure how we could afford JJ. Fair play to him he will have earned that new contract. 

Jacobs has value beyond a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2024 leaving as a FA.

Tag him and find a trade partner if anything. Or find a way to make it work on the tag.

I also think he provides a lot to the locker room as a leader. He's a bit of a glue guy in that regard which is also valuable.  

• Like 2

It’s a shame that Jones contract is so bad, otherwise it could be as simple as cut Jones and pay jacobs. I agree with tagging him, find the money for sh*ts sake. That, besides keeping him, also allows us to control where he goes if traded. I could realistically see any one of our division rivals making a play for him. I’d just assume he stays but we as fans can’t control that. The other sources of extra cap could be Waller, renfrow or carr. And of those 3, moving Waller makes the most sense he’s got decent trade value. Carr has his no trade, and renfrow won’t fetch or save as much. 

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

This happened in a Raiders Chiefs game in the mid 90s. But a player came from the bench and tackled our player instead 

Seems like he ran onto the field to celebrate then once he realized the play was still live he defaulted to blocking. Super funny 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 1