WEEK 13 Gameday Thread ---- Green Bay Packers (4-8) @ Chicago Bears (3-9) --- LOVE showcase game???

Striker

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You don't believe that I wasn't talking about the QB, on a post that didn't once mention the QB?????? You are literally an insane person.

The defense is 23rd in points per game allowed. Of course it's an issue with this team. The offense is 26th in points per game scored. Over the course of the season, the offense is the bigger problem. In the games that actually mattered before our season ended, we had an average defense and a horrible offense. Those are the facts.

Over the course of the season as a whole, this offensive line is not just better than average, it is downright good.

My observations of other positions are not kind. I regularly rip on the coaches, the IOL, and the ILBs

The bar for QB play is high because when the QB screws up, the play is dead. If somebody else screws up, a play is still salvageable. 

I also just don't like QBs. I hate how they're treated in the media. You've read my piece on this. 

So the OL is above average even though it was garbage in the part of the season that mattered and didn't get decent until the season was effectively over.

So consistent.

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

So the OL is above average even though it was garbage in the part of the season that mattered and didn't get decent until the season was effectively over.

So consistent.

The offensive line was never garbage. 

Hard to come up with a game score for the offensive line, but teams are allowing an average of 2.39 Sacks per Game this year.

Week 1: 4

Week 2: 3

Week 3: 1

Week 4: 1

Through Q1 of the season, the team allowed an average of 2.25 sacks per game. That's slightly above average.

Week 5: 2

Week 6: 4

Week 7: 0

Week 8: 2

Through Q2 of the season, the team allowed an average of 2.0 sacks per game. That's above average.

Week 9: 1

Week 10: 2

Week 11: 1

Week 12: 3

Through Q3 of the season, the team allowed an average of 2.0 sacks per game. That's above average.

Week 13: 0

+++

The offensive line was never garbage. You're just spoiled. 

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Reviewed the Giants game.   No listed throw aways per your list.

My count:

Absolute throw away =Ball thrown 15 yards OOB   = 2 plays

Immediate pressure = Ball thrown to receiver before receiver close to position to make a play on the ball = 3

receiver covered ball thrown in a position where nobody could catch it = 3

Terrible throws - Uncatchable ball = 6

Forgot to count dropped passes.

This was their fifth worst game of the year with a 24.4 percent pressure rate (10 pressures, 4 hits, 4 hurries, 2 sacks, 15 blitzes) with the Bakh/Runyan/Myers/Newman/Jenkins group.

2nd & 8, GB 26: Incomplete to Cobb.
1st & 10, NYG 27: Incomplete to Davis. I'm guessing you considered this a throwaway. This will likely not considered a throwaway on the stat sheet because Rodgers was still inside the tackle box (so it would be grounding if it was a literal throwaway) and was thrown maybe about 2 yards OOB so it would be considered "inaccurate" vs. a throwaway. Pocket wasn't clean but he still had about 3-3.5 seconds to get it out.
3rd & 5, NYG 22: Blown blitz pickup, Rodgers incompletion to Jones (Jones drop)

1st and Goal, NYG 4: Incomplete to Cobb. 

1st & 10, NYG 29: Incomplete to Cobb.
2nd & 10, NYG 29: Incomplete to Doubs.

2nd & 8, NYG 36: Incomplete to Doubs.

1st & 10, GB 25: Incomplete to Lazard
2nd & 10, GB 25: Incomplete to Cobb (PBU by McCloud)
3rd & 10, GB 25: Incomplete to Lazard (Hit the DB in the back)

1st & 10, GB 25: Incomplete to Cobb. Probably the second "throwaway". Rodgers was still inside the tackle box. Not "obvious" enough OOB to be considered a throwaway because it would 100 percent be grounding otherwise. Rodgers probably had about 4-4.5 seconds here (longer if he rolls out left) so likely a coverage "throwaway". Also, this looked like three deep routes and I hate it.
2nd & 2, NYG 36: Incomplete to Lazard (drop)
3rd & 2, NYG 6: Incomplete to Cobb (deflection at the LOS). 
4th & 2, NYG 6: Incomplete to Lazard (deflected by one of the eight blitzers).

I hated this end game sequence so much.

Anyway, I understand why you consider them throwaways, but it's also clear to see why they aren't logged as such.

They also still find their way onto the stat sheet as a pressure/rush/hurry/hit even if they're not a sack.

• Like 2

Looking at pressure rates this year:

Russell Wilson: 28.9 (lol)
Justin Fields: 26.6
Kirk Cousins: 23.6
Geno Smith: 20.9
Patrick Mahomes: 19.5
Justin Herbert: 19.1
Jalen Hurts: 18.7
Tua Tagovailoa: 18.0
Joe Burrow: 17.9
Aaron Rodgers: 17.8
Josh Allen: 16.6
Tom Brady: 12.7

13 hours ago, Sandy said:

Looks pretty damn good to me. Maybe our intelligence-challenged DC comes up with the idea to give the rookie some snaps at some point. 

It's not like he'd break up any defensive chemistry.

Just an eyeball test for me, but he looked slow off of the snap.  Unsure of where to line up on the first play, didn't even get into his stance.  Last play is where I saw some "want to" from him.

Very small sample size, though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sandy said:

Looks pretty damn good to me. Maybe our intelligence-challenged DC comes up with the idea to give the rookie some snaps at some point. 

It's not like he'd break up any defensive chemistry.

Really? Nothing there says, 'more playing time needed' and that was the cherry-picked best plays. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Really? Nothing there says, 'more playing time needed' and that was the cherry-picked best plays. 

That's on par with the tape you get from Lowry every week, and Lowry isn't a 1st round pick with alien explosion numbers. In fact he's a middling UFA with probably no future. It's downright moronic that Wyatt isn't getting more snaps.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Those were his only consecutive plays, so hardly cherry-picked.

To @vegas492's credit, he was a bit slow off the snap, but I saw a lot of bull-in-china-shop. But he gave the olinemen a handful. This is exactly the kind of player who needs live reps to figure out the finer elements of the game.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just an eyeball test for me, but he looked slow off of the snap.  Unsure of where to line up on the first play, didn't even get into his stance.  Last play is where I saw some "want to" from him.

Very small sample size, though.

The first play he gets Field off his spot. Important for any QB especially in a 3 man rush. Then falls down. Might have been the call for a 2 pt rush. Slight plus for getting pressure. The fact theres nobody to follow Fields out of the pocket is more an indictment of Barry.

2nd beats his man with a spin. This staff probably doesnt love his spins but it came after the transition to PR. So its still nothing but a positive. Teven had been stoning dudes all game and he's the one on the ground after this rep. It's a plus. but then is on the ground by the end of the play

Goes upfield instead of crossing face, lost the ball on the backside. it is what it is. Once he feels the pressure of Campbell being pressed into him he should be working against that, but he's not making this play.

Tries to lean on a blocker, still takes on pull and beats across face. for the tackle

Some good some mediocre. But the highs were much higher than the lows. The man needs snaps. Literally no reason not to manufacture some PT for him.

29 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The first play he gets Field off his spot. Important for any QB especially in a 3 man rush. Then falls down. Might have been the call for a 2 pt rush. Slight plus for getting pressure. The fact theres nobody to follow Fields out of the pocket is more an indictment of Barry.

2nd beats his man with a spin. This staff probably doesnt love his spins but it came after the transition to PR. So its still nothing but a positive. Teven had been stoning dudes all game and he's the one on the ground after this rep. It's a plus. but then is on the ground by the end of the play

Goes upfield instead of crossing face, lost the ball on the backside. it is what it is. Once he feels the pressure of Campbell being pressed into him he should be working against that, but he's not making this play.

Tries to lean on a blocker, still takes on pull and beats across face. for the tackle

Some good some mediocre. But the highs were much higher than the lows. The man needs snaps. Literally no reason not to manufacture some PT for him.

I agree.  He needs more snaps.  I don't agree totally with what you said above, though.

First rep.  Doesn't know where to line up.  Late off of the snap.  Wasn't in his stance.  Didn't come out low, and if you want to say he make Fields move off of the spot, I'm a "maybe" on that.  He was pushed to the ground and Fields just slid left.  So maybe Fields just went left?  End of the day, to me it was a strange rep.  Started bad and finished with him on the ground.  And if you want to say he made Fields move?  I can give you that.  But it is tough tackling a QB when you are being knocked down and a little backwards.

Second rep.  I'm just going to call this the Slaton rep.  He's the one that gets an edge or shoulder quick and turns into he QB.  I did like the spin from Wyatt.  And I did like the power he showed.

Third rep. Interesting rep to me.  Run play and he was turned outside kindda easily.  If his responsibility on that play is to hold the edge?  He did a good job.  If it isn't?  Well.....  And to be fair, I have no idea what his responsibility was to be on that play.   Looked to me like the LB came into the hole and he too was turned outside.  Maybe chalk that one up to both guy getting run blocked well.

Fourth rep.  This is the most interesting one to me.  God, I freaking LOVE trap plays!  The key on the DL on the traps is to not get your shoulders turned.  Stay wide to the LOS.  And Wyatt?  Probably has been trapped a lot.  He didn't stay square, but, he did feel the trap coming enough to turn back into the play and ruin the run.

If there is a rep there that gets me excited, it's the last one.  It shows his talent.  Quickness and recognition.  That trap came quick.  He felt it enough to get into the play and make the stop.