Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

We got a first and 2nd for Davante. I wonder if that's the starting point for Rodgers.

Maybe we're asking for 13 and 43 and Corey Davis. Maybe there aren't any conditionals at all in our ask.

That'd be probably 4m tacked on to our rookie cap, plus 4-5m tacked on for Corey Davis on a reworked deal. 

42 and 43 would save about 1.5m on the cap.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We got a first and 2nd for Davante. I wonder if that's the starting point for Rodgers.

Maybe we're asking for 13 and 43 and Corey Davis. Maybe there aren't any conditionals at all in our ask.

I don't think anyone knows what GB wants.  

If GB wanted a 2nd or 3rd, it would have happened already.  So it's likely up from that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

If GB wanted a 2nd or 3rd, it would have happened already.  So it's likely up from that

I think we have enough clues in the media to narrow it down.

We've repeatedly heard from GBs side it's not multiple firsts. 

We've recently heard that it's "pick 13 and then some".

The Jets just made a move to secure another 2nd round pick.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think we have enough clues in the media to narrow it down.

We've repeatedly heard from GBs side it's not multiple firsts. 

We've recently heard that it's "pick 13 and then some".

I think it's something like

13 + some filler in 23 or 24

Or

Both 23 2nds + some filler in 24 

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Jets' 3rd is gone now. It's down to picks 13, 42 and 43. Gute either needs to get 13 or both 2s. Anything short of that is a loss. 

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

When I saw this move, my first reaction was that this could be the Jets' way to compensate for giving us 13. Grabbing another 2nd gives them flexibility to trade back into the 1st if they wanted. 

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Is NIL money high enough to compete with NFL money?

For some guys at blue blood programs, yeah you can make more money from an NIL collective than you would as a rookie later round pick.  There's also the thing where college is probably more fun, and you're more likely to win a championship at USC or MIchigan than with like the Bears or Texans.

Empirically we can see that there's an effect here.  The number of underclassmen declaring for the draft had been growing steadily until NIL.  Like in the last pre-NIL year there were 128 underclassmen declaring for the draft, this year there are 82 which are the fewest since 2014.

What you expect to be losing here is not "guys who are top 10 draft picks" since they will make bank in the NFL, but if you're a borderline 1st/2nd guy the NIL money is going to be very attractive.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I'd take 13 and 43 and call it a day. No conditional picks in 24, just give us the 1 and 2 and we move on. 

I'm not a fan of Corey Davis so I'm good with just the two picks. 

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'd take 13 and 43 and call it a day. No conditional picks in 24, just give us the 1 and 2 and we move on. 

I'm not a fan of Corey Davis so I'm good with just the two picks. 

This is how I feel, too. But I'd take Davis if we can get a steep discount on his cap hip. Otherwise not interested either.

Packer fans are going to so disappointed if this has been an agreed upon June 1st deal all along. Packers will get some needed cap relief and that 1st round pick everyone has been wanting (only in 2024). Not as sexy as right now assets but might be more practical from an operations standpoint.  

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They aren't going to take 13 and 43 this year. Either 42 and 43 or 13 this year and conditional pick/s. 

Unless we unload Savage or Nijman in the deal we do not have the cap space to accommodate 13,15,43 and 45.

Yes we do. Those 4 picks cost $9.5ish million. GB has $22ish right now before the Rodgers trade. 

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Packer fans are going to so disappointed if this has been an agreed upon June 1st deal all along. Packers will get some needed cap relief and that 1st round pick everyone has been wanting (only in 2024). Not as sexy as right now assets but might be more practical from an operations standpoint.  

I don't think that timing would be upsetting at all. The return is the important part. Obviously it makes some financial sense to wait until June 1st but there are other tradeoffs as well. 

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes we do. Those 4 picks cost $9.5ish million. GB has $22ish right now before the Rodgers trade. 

Subtract 9 for trading Rodgers, 3 for the practice squad and 2 more for roster spots 52 and 53. So we have 8m currently, therefore weren't not taking those picks.