Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Matt Ryan is going to walk out on the field week 1 with his walker to assist. Can you imagine that statue behind that offensive line? 

But pick #13 is gonna cure all that ails their OL. That's what I read on the internets...gotta be true, right???

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I do sort of wonder if the Packers position is "we would prefer to receive mostly 2024 picks because we like that draft better, but if you want to knock our socks off in the next month we won't say no."  My guess is that the 2024 draft will be stronger since a lot of guys who normally would have come out this year were lured back with NIL money, but they will eventually run out of eligibility.

Like trading Rodgers for a 2024 1st and various additional 2nd-4th round picks with the conditional landing in 2025 might work better for both teams.

Is NIL money high enough to compete with NFL money? traditionally, future picks are docked a full round’s worth of value vs. present picks of the same round. I doubt any standard variation in draft strength value would overcome the time-value penalty of having to wait a full year. And who knows what draft slot the NYJ will be in next year. They might by very late in the order (high 20’s or 30’s), vs. being up at #13 now. 

I would imagine most teams would push for present picks first. They can always trade down in the present-day assets to recoup future assets if they like, once the present assets are in hand. 

25 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

But fans tend to be fans. I find it humorous. I myself have stated that Ezra Johnson was an all-time great. Had he not been on those crappy Packer teams of the 70s, I'm sure he would have been up there.

Ezra needed to lay off the Lambeau hot dogs during preseason games...stunted his development 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

I'm just going to disagree and move on. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion (that I think it is plausible that only a 7th is what is on the table and that if it is that GB should accept it now).

Hey, words mean things. If you don’t mean them don’t say them 🤷‍♂️.

I was always attacking your *hypothetical*. Not pretending it was your *prediction* of what will happen. You’re the one they brought up the “conditional 7th” and “peanuts” to begin with.

And as for the bolded part of your statement, specifically, there is really no other way to interpret “The point stands that in this scenario, where a conditional 7th rounder represents a better outcome than retaining him.”

Edited by TransientTexan

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I noped outta there, you aren't going to convince someone who simultaneously believes that Rodgers is going to put them over the top with elite/near-elite QB play and is also not worth giving up any premium assets for. 

Nah man, Rodgers = Wentz= Bridgewater = Ryan is the comparison.  All of them get Jets to the playoffs....that seems to be the mountain they want to reach

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Nah man, Rodgers = Wentz= Bridgewater = Ryan is the comparison.  All of them get Jets to the playoffs....that seems to be the mountain they want to reach

I said in another thread that if you've got a motivated and focused Rodgers, that makes the Jets a legit threat in the AFC. IF. 

If you have the Rodgers we had last season, the Jets have a solid enough coaching staff/roster that I'd put money on them making the playoffs. 

I understand why the Jets and Rodgers want to keep pick #13 (and maybe also all their Day 1 and 2 picks). They're an ascending team with a great defense that just needs a sufficient QB, another weapon on offense, and OLine upgrades. Add Rodgers and keeping those picks, they will be legit contenders, though I think a year two with Rodgers is more likely--more like 2nd round or AFC championship is more likely this season. This is why I think their whole "We are only getting Rodgers for a year" is improbable. Provided their arrow is heading up, I can't see Rodgers retiring after just one season given he wants another ring. I mean, he takes care of himself physically. Lots of leg work in the weight room.

Yes, it would help Love out to get picks this year from the Jets. But ultimately, I myself just want fair compensation for the great QB Rodgers still is. A 3rd round pick for Rodgers is not fair compensation. Two 1st round picks may not be fair compensation either, especially from the Jets perspective. None of us knows what Gutekunst and Douglas respectively think is fair compensation. But from my standpoint, as long as the value of Rodgers is honored in terms of fair compensation, then if a reasonable compromise on the Packers end is to get that compensation in 2024 rather than 2023, then you do it. Again, what I as a fan thinks is fair compensation doesn't matter. It's what our respective GM's think is fair, and if they can come to an agreement on that. If they can't, then either one or the other caves, or they'll have to walk away and each start searching for a Plan B.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I'm not sure this is true after his last contract.  2020 and 2021, sure.  2022, I'm doubting it

I'm sure he has fired up the chip on the shoulder motivation and is back to the grind. He is most likely going to go all in to prove he is still great. Good for him, I just wish 50 mil would've inspired him just as much...

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I'm not sure this is true after his last contract.  2020 and 2021, sure.  2022, I'm doubting it

I concede that on the matter of his fitness, I am taking him at his word from mention of his leg workouts on Pat McAfee. What I saw in 2022 was a guy still more limber and mobile than Tom Brady, though, haha, I suppose that isn't saying much. But he ain't no Eddie Pastry.

Edited by DWhitehurst

11 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I'm sure he has fired up the chip on the shoulder motivation and is back to the grind. He is most likely going to go all in to prove he is still great. Good for him, I just wish 50 mil would've inspired him just as much...

Drafting Love + $50m/yr contract squeezed 2 more MVP-caliber seasons out of him. I guess we'll see what "my ex didn't call me and say she wants me back" does for him. 

• Like 2