Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

I do sort of wonder if the Packers position is "we would prefer to receive mostly 2024 picks because we like that draft better, but if you want to knock our socks off in the next month we won't say no."  My guess is that the 2024 draft will be stronger since a lot of guys who normally would have come out this year were lured back with NIL money, but they will eventually run out of eligibility.

Like trading Rodgers for a 2024 1st and various additional 2nd-4th round picks with the conditional landing in 2025 might work better for both teams.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, if the Jets had been pursuing other options the entire offseason then the situation would be different.  But almost all of the other "get a quality QB" avenues closed off.  Carr, Garoppolo, Smith, Jones, and Mayfield all signed already, the next best FA QB was Mike White who they already had.  Carolina trading up from 9 to 1 basically means that "trading up to get a QB" is out of their price range since there are 3-5 quality QBs and 3 of them are likely going in the top 4.   You could have traded for Matt Stafford (the Rams were shopping him even!) but he had a bunch of bonuses due on the 3rd day of the league year, so it's no longer plausible for the Rams to want to trade him.

Hypothetically you could sign Lamar Jackson for two first round picks, but the Ravens have been trying to sign him to an extension for two years so good luck signing him to an offer sheet that the Ravens would not immediately match.

Precisely.  I've seen them talk about pivoting to Lamar Jackson, Kirk Cousins, and Matthew Stafford.  The Ravens purposely used the non-exclusive franchise tag to get other teams to negotiate on their behalf.  When they removed the poison pill in contracts, it made matching those offers painfully easy to match.  Either the Jets are going to have to MASSIVELY overpay Lamar Jackson in order to keep Baltimore from matching (think a Deshaun Watson-like deal at a minimum) or he's going to be a Raven next year.

Trading away Kirk Cousins creates $48.8M in dead that could be spread over 2 years if they were to trade him post-June 1st.  Right now, the Vikings have less than $1M in cap space, so trading him isn't an option before June 1st, and even a post-June 1st forces them to eat $28.5M in dead cap next offseason.  So unless the Vikings are trading Kirk Cousins for peanuts, Kirk Cousins isn't available.

Matthew Stafford is even worse with $74M in dead cap if he's traded.  And it's not like the Rams are flush with cap space either.  So again, unless the Rams are willing to sell Stafford for cheap, that's not an option either.

17 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I do sort of wonder if the Packers position is "we would prefer to receive mostly 2024 picks because we like that draft better, but if you want to knock our socks off in the next month we won't say no."  My guess is that the 2024 draft will be stronger since a lot of guys who normally would have come out this year were lured back with NIL money, but they will eventually run out of eligibility.

Like trading Rodgers for a 2024 1st and various additional 2nd-4th round picks with the conditional landing in 2025 might work better for both teams.

Gutey, LaFleur, Murphy and Ball could all be out of Jobs in the next year or two. Pushing those picks out too far will undoubtedly hurt Jordan Love's development and I think all of their jobs hinge on that right now.  Get the bulk of the compensation this year. 

39 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Love that we’re all just trying to piss off Jets fans and play hardball until they get loud enough to snap and support giving us what we want. It’s the most team thing this forum has done in ages.

Get heavy Ted 2 vibes… packer fans are the guy and Ted arguing with each other and than the jet fans come (the woman) and now they are the enemy.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Precisely.  I've seen them talk about pivoting to Lamar Jackson, Kirk Cousins, and Matthew Stafford.  The Ravens purposely used the non-exclusive franchise tag to get other teams to negotiate on their behalf.  When they removed the poison pill in contracts, it made matching those offers painfully easy to match.  Either the Jets are going to have to MASSIVELY overpay Lamar Jackson in order to keep Baltimore from matching (think a Deshaun Watson-like deal at a minimum) or he's going to be a Raven next year.

Trading away Kirk Cousins creates $48.8M in dead that could be spread over 2 years if they were to trade him post-June 1st.  Right now, the Vikings have less than $1M in cap space, so trading him isn't an option before June 1st, and even a post-June 1st forces them to eat $28.5M in dead cap next offseason.  So unless the Vikings are trading Kirk Cousins for peanuts, Kirk Cousins isn't available.

Matthew Stafford is even worse with $74M in dead cap if he's traded.  And it's not like the Rams are flush with cap space either.  So again, unless the Rams are willing to sell Stafford for cheap, that's not an option either.

You are expecting too much from NYJ fans.  I read some of the threads over there and came across one about Klecko and Gastenaeu. The poster stated:

"Joe Klecko if he were playing today would be considered one of the all time greats. Give Aaron Donald his due, but Joe Klecko eats his lunch all day. The numbers and the positions he put up at an all pro level is unmatched by anyone who ever saw him play."

Now, this is okay. Frankly, there is stuff posted here by Packer fans (in this very thread) that makes this guy appear almost smart.  Sure Joe Klecko was much better than Aaron Donald. Nobody has come close to Kleckos NFL record of averaging 6 sacks per year.  I didn't even look it up - I'm sure it's the best by a mile.

But fans tend to be fans. I find it humorous. I myself have stated that Ezra Johnson was an all-time great. Had he not been on those crappy Packer teams of the 70s, I'm sure he would have been up there.

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m almost at the place where I hope this trade falls through so they have to go into the year with Wilson , Wentz or any other of the s****y QBs they think are good options.

Matt Ryan is going to walk out on the field week 1 with his walker to assist. Can you imagine that statue behind that offensive line? 

Edited by Old Guy