HCs who will be Fired

RUGmen

10 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Staley made some head scratching moves last season on 4th down. This year he’s reduced it.

However, he nearly made the worst decision possible in the Chargers/Browns game.

Staley job may come down if he’s willing to fire Lombardi

Honestly, I'm not even sure that the bolded is true. I haven't looked at the data, but I've thought several times this year that his decisions have veered far too conservative...and then there are the instances like the Browns game where you're really questioning what the hell he is doing by going for. It's kind of felt like he's just been rolling on feels at certain points this year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I'm not even sure that the bolded is true. I haven't looked at the data, but I've thought several times this year that his decisions have veered far too conservative...and then there are the instances like the Browns game where you're really questioning what the hell he is doing by going for. It's kind of felt like he's just been rolling on feels at certain points this year. 

Yep. I remember reading a tweet from Seth Walder that said Staley has essentially become a conservative HC and has often ignored the analytics this season. I am also not well versed in the data but I do get the feel that he is making the decisions on "vibes" much more now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I count 5 HC in 4 years when Lovie is fired.

2020: BOB and Crennel

2021: Culley

2022: Lovie

2023: New Coach

Romeo was never fired - he moved back to his role of Special Advisor, so keeping him in that body count is a bit misleading. Ditto Lovie if he’s moved into that role (which seems to be the betting favorite - that Special Advisor role is basically a clout role that gives the Texans a “break in case of emergency” HC to rely on in the event you have a Bill O’Brien type who literally controlled the entire organization).

30 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I hope it works out for you guys. However, If I’m a FA or an agent, This looks like organizational disfunction. Which could lead to players being with coaches who aren’t fits for their play. I’d steer my client far away from a team who had 5 coaches in 4 seasons. 

I think much of the dysfunction is well documented with how Jack Easterby controlled the organization in his time here - two SI articles about him and his antics as a pseudo megachurch pastor painted a picture of a guy who was basically Bruce Allen with a Bible.

Now - make no mistake - the Texans ARE dysfunctional. But like any other cancer, you got to root it out at its core. That core has been rooted for the most part.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I count 5 HC in 4 years when Lovie is fired.

2020: BOB and Crennel

2021: Culley

2022: Lovie

2023: New Coach

I hope it works out for you guys. However, If I’m a FA or an agent, This looks like organizational disfunction. Which could lead to players being with coaches who aren’t fits for their play. I’d steer my client far away from a team who had 5 coaches in 4 seasons. 

This is why you hire a guy that players love while also acknowledging that if you want to bring in free agents, you're going to have to overpay. Nature of the beast. But the niners did this exact same thing. You just have to find that right guy. 

2014: Jim Harbaugh (with all the dysfunction of the Harb / Baalke dynamic)

2015: Jim Tomsula (which made the niners basically a laughing stock)

2016: Chip Kelly (and Baalke  fired halfway through the year)

2017: Kyle Shanahan w/John Lynch. 

In 2017, the 49ers had the greatest single year roster turnover in history. They still brought in a ton of players despite the crazy amount of dysfunction. They brought in a lot of guys that had familiarity with their new head coach and they overpaid a lot of "names". Pierre Garcon was given a big contract. Malcolm Smith was given a big contract (still a very lol thing). The following year, they made Jerick McKinnon a top 5 paid running back to get him in. Etc, etc. Yeah, it was definitely an ugly roster (they also had a weird number of UDFAs make the roster - like 6 or something if I remember). 

The texans just have to be willing to spend. Big money in a tax free state talks. If you have a coach that guys may want to play for, that's going to help. 

Not sure it will work for the Texans, but definitely doable

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He became more conservative once his ST improved, willing to punt and pin the opponent and let the revamped defense get a stop. But it was a silly idea IMO, and he needs to go back to his 2021 persona.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The texans just have to be willing to spend. Big money in a tax free state talks. If you have a coach that guys may want to play for, that's going to help. 

Not sure it will work for the Texans, but definitely doable 

I think this is the off-season where we find out what sort of spender Nick Caserio is - the past two seasons, Caserio was saddled with an significant amount of dead cap, the Texans had the most dead cap in 2021 and 2nd most dead cap in 2022. There was a significant bit of work to get rid of the guys brought in by Bill O’Brien at absurd rates. 

Next fiscal year, the Texans will have about $46mm available, which will probably jump up into the $60s-$70s after restructuring and any trades (Brandin Cooks is assuredly gone for next to nothing - just get him off the books). With no pending FAs on the Texans that are dire resigns, that’s money Caserio will have to spend on new bodies and these don’t have to be the typical one-year deals that Caserio was giving out prior.

Given the defensive minded draft last season, I can see an FA brought in on that side of the ball (Jessie Bates III or Jordan Poyer are high on my wishlist).

• Like 2

On 12/22/2022 at 11:15 AM, Forge said:

We’re in the full of fear and lean conservative this season 😭😭😭

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, Forge said:

I agree. If Staley had a less talented team, he would be a top candidate to be fired. 

His choice of OCs was as bad as it gets. Joe Lombardi was his 1st choice lol. The only worse choice was Urban Meyer bringing Darrell Bevell as his OC

Edited by bucksavage1

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I agree. If Staley had a less talented team, he would be a top candidate to be fired. 

His choice of OCs was as bad as it gets. Joe Lombardi was his 1st choice lol. The only worse choice was Urban Meyer bringing Darrell Bevell as his OC

Lombardi was his 3rd choice. His first two choices were Mike McDaniel and then Kevin O’Connell. Even with that being said, Lombardi was pretty decent last year. This year, he seemed to be calling plays scared because of injuries to the offensive guys. 

Harbaugh's team is 10-5, clinched a playoff spot, were 5th in DVOA entering this week, and won 3 of the last 4 with backup undrafted QBs playing. 10/15 years in the playoffs and having only being eliminated from the playoffs before week 17 one out of  15 years.

Why was his name even in this thread?

• Like 1