HCs who will be Fired

RUGmen

On 12/19/2022 at 4:10 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Harbaugh might get himself fired if the Ravens don't win a playoff game this year, and especially if they lose a playoff game where the passing game once again looks like complete garbage.

@AngusMcFife and @AFlaccoSeagulls

Agreed. I think Harbaugh is losing the city and Roman has absolutely lost the city some time ago and the locker room at the very least last season- and both Harbaugh and the front office doubled down with him and his philosophy.

More than that Harbaugh begun to make key missteps in his dealings with the media over things as simple as “is there any injury update on this player or that player?” Harbaugh’s attitude has shifted from ‘passionate CEO coach’ to ‘players coach’ to now shifting to ‘old school petulant’ coach.

As a CEO coach; the reduction in culture, the frustrations of NUMEROUS offensive talents the past few years, the stubbornness to retain an offensive philosophy that runs counterintuitive to getting QBs & WRs paid.

The organization used to have a quality pipeline of veteran WRs that would want to play here and that’s dried up due to Greg Roman’s scheme and now we’re relying on the organization’s weakest scouted position in its history to come up long and draft impact young options.

Does Harbaugh, with this newly minted ornery behavior, have the energy to handle another retooling? Does his vision match the vision modern offensive players have of an explosive and exciting offense?

These are all difficult questions that need answered and unless the Ravens win the SB this season and heck even moreso if they luck out and do, are the Ravens and Harbaugh in a position where a mutual breakup makes the most sense?

I’d give it realistically about a 35% chance of that happening.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Kliff Kingsbury

Arthur Smith

Nate Hackett

Dennis Allen

Todd Bowles

On the fence with Lovie Smith. How many coaches would that be for the Texans, 5 in 4 years? They might be better off giving Lovie one more year. I can’t imagine any coaching talent would want to go there

Jeff Saturday will be gone.

Wilks may keep his job if they get to the postseason. Also heard rumors of Carolina trading for Mike Tomlin

Arthur smith isn’t going anywhere. 

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

@AngusMcFife and @AFlaccoSeagulls

Agreed. I think Harbaugh is losing the city and Roman has absolutely lost the city some time ago and the locker room at the very least last season- and both Harbaugh and the front office doubled down with him and his philosophy.

More than that Harbaugh begun to make key missteps in his dealings with the media over things as simple as “is there any injury update on this player or that player?” Harbaugh’s attitude has shifted from ‘passionate CEO coach’ to ‘players coach’ to now shifting to ‘old school petulant’ coach.

As a CEO coach; the reduction in culture, the frustrations of NUMEROUS offensive talents the past few years, the stubbornness to retain an offensive philosophy that runs counterintuitive to getting QBs & WRs paid.

The organization used to have a quality pipeline of veteran WRs that would want to play here and that’s dried up due to Greg Roman’s scheme and now we’re relying on the organization’s weakest scouted position in its history to come up long and draft impact young options.

Does Harbaugh, with this newly minted ornery behavior, have the energy to handle another retooling? Does his vision match the vision modern offensive players have of an explosive and exciting offense?

These are all difficult questions that need answered and unless the Ravens win the SB this season and heck even moreso if they luck out and do, are the Ravens and Harbaugh in a position where a mutual breakup makes the most sense?

I’d give it realistically about a 35% chance of that happening.

Wow.

If this happened (which I doubt), he would have another head coaching gig within 10 minutes.   

• Like 6

McDaniels is safe in Vegas. Next year will be an entirely different matter and the team will be expected to make the playoffs. He’s had some violent ups and downs and done some good things and they’ve only had one draft with no first or second round picks so that will figure into next season too. 

12 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Kliff Kingsbury

Arthur Smith

Nate Hackett

Dennis Allen

Todd Bowles

On the fence with Lovie Smith. How many coaches would that be for the Texans, 5 in 4 years? They might be better off giving Lovie one more year. I can’t imagine any coaching talent would want to go there

Jeff Saturday will be gone.

Wilks may keep his job if they get to the postseason. Also heard rumors of Carolina trading for Mike Tomlin

Lovie was a terrible hire to begin with.

Bowles should be gone, but I don't think he will be. 

Arthur Smith isn't going anywhere. 

31 minutes ago, Danger said:

Lovie was a terrible hire to begin with.

Bowles should be gone, but I don't think he will be. 

Arthur Smith isn't going anywhere. 

I think the Lovie hire was the last best man standing who wanted the job. Poor hire but given the state of the franchise

At some point as a team you gotta stop firing coaches every season. Any good  candidate would bypass the Texans. All they are left with are retreads. 5 HCs in 4 seasons would be insane

Edited by bucksavage1

14 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I think the Lovie hire was the last best man standing who wanted the job. Poor hire but given the state of the franchise

At some point as a team you gotta stop firing coaches every season. Any good  candidate would bypass the Texans. All they are left with are retreads. 5 HCs in 4 seasons would be insane

I feel like they're turning the corner with Easterby being gone, now having a lot of assets to work with, the ability to pick a young talented QB.

@ET80are you more optimistic for the future now?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Danger said:

I feel like they're turning the corner with Easterby being gone, now having a lot of assets to work with, the ability to pick a young talented QB.

@ET80are you more optimistic for the future now?

Bingo. Jack Easterby made a lot of people uneasy because he wanted to be a part of every decision made and wanted to tell everyone how to do their job, would take credit for the things that went well, but would throw people under the bud when they failed.

He was crossing over into everyone’s lane - with him out of the picture, Nick Caserio now can bring in his guy (which I would expect to be Brian Flores or Jonathan Gannon - the two finalists next to Easterby’s choice, Josh McCown).

While I’m here…

54 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

5 HCs in 4 seasons would be insane

Five… in four seasons? Hmm…

2002 - 2005: Dom Capers

2006 - 2013: Gary Kubiak (Wade Phillips Interim HC for four games in ‘13)

2014 - 2020: Bill O’Brien (Romeo Crennell Interim HC for 12 games in ‘20)

2021: David Culley

2022: Lovie Smith 

Five… in 20 seasons is more accurate.

54 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

At some point as a team you gotta stop firing coaches every season.

As illustrated above, Texans HCs traditionally get a lot more rope than expected; Kubiak and O’Brien should have been terminated about 2-3 years before they we’re actually fired.

From 2020 onward - sure, Culley and Lovie and short term guys, but both were dealing with the long term damage created by GM Bill O’Brien (the Tunsil trade, the Hopkins trade, the Clowney trade, etc). Then you add the Deshaun Watson trade demand (further complicated by the Deshaun Watson legal situation) and you can see that this was never a desirable situation - so you find a fall guy or two while you clean the cap (check) get some much needed draft capital (check) and get away from the Deshaun Watson drama (check). It’s not a stretch to say the Texans job was the one job with the most unprecedented roadblocks - we’ve seen bad GMs tank a cap and make bad trades, but have we ever seen a franchise QB demand a trade while dealing with a legal situation (not even considering the scope of the legal situation)? Did you want to saddle your future HC with those burdens, or pay two guys to take the arrows while the cleanup was underway?

For the record - David Culley made $23mm for his one season as HC, a $3mm salary followed up by a $20mm contract buyout following his termination. Not bad for a former WR coach, banking more than Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll combined. I’d wager Lovie has a similar buyout clause - because if you’re gonna be a fall guy, you’re gonna get paid for your sacrifice.

Caserio has a war chest full of picks in ‘23 and ‘24 (including 1.1 in a year with actual QBs to consider) as well as close to $65mm in cap space in ‘23 along with a reported $165mm in cap space in ‘24. There is also the added bonus of no longer reporting to the Joel Osteen of the NFL, a guy who had zero football experience yet held the title of Executive Vice President of Football Operations.

Will it work out? I don’t really know. But it’s better than yesterday, and the day before yesterday.

• Like 1

Honestly think the Texans given those Picks and Cap over the next few year will be an attractive destination for any Young/experienced Offensive minded OC/HC ready to Groom his FQB. Only Defensive HC candidate I could seen them going after is DeMeco Ryans (obvious  reasons) hoping he hires a QB guru type OC to help groom said QB.

Whomever that is at #1? Add the fact it's a wide open AFCS for the foreseeable future, Texans can't do but go up from 2022.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Danger said:

Were they ever serious hires to begin with? To me neither of them felt like they were meant to be successful from the get go.

I made a quick edit. Short answer: I don’t believe they were either.

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Did you want to saddle your future HC with those burdens, or pay two guys to take the arrows while the cleanup was underway?

For the record - David Culley made $23mm for his one season as HC, a $3mm salary followed up by a $20mm contract buyout following his termination. Not bad for a former WR coach, banking more than Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll combined. I’d wager Lovie has a similar buyout clause - because if you’re gonna be a fall guy, you’re gonna get paid for your sacrifice.

I think both went into this with a year in mind, and received a large deferred payment for their troubles. 

Culley was never expected beyond his time, he was inexperienced for the position (a career WR coach - and not even a good WR coach at that) who entered the HC ranks as the oldest HC in football. He walks out as the highest paid coach in 2021, with a take home package that is more than double of what any other HC made.

Lovie is a bit trickier, but I think they have his future mapped out as well; He’ll get his lump sum payment, but he also has the benefit of giving his son Miles Smith a chance to add to his resume as a full time LB coach; There is a possibility that Lovie stays on the Texans staff as a Special Advisor to the McNair family, a role Romeo Crennell held during the O’Brien era. I don’t think anyone really knows what Romeo did while in Houston, but he was compensated handsomely for it.

One thing that’s for certain - the McNair family will burn money for no reason. So anyone who gets the Texans gig will probably be paid a ton, even if it doesn’t work out.

15 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Honestly think the Texans given those Picks and Cap over the next few year will be an attractive destination for any Young/experienced Offensive minded OC/HC ready to Groom his FQB. Only Defensive HC candidate I could seen them going after is DeMeco Ryans (obvious  reasons) hoping he hires a QB guru type OC to help groom said QB.

Whomever that is at #1? Add the fact it's a wide open AFCS for the foreseeable future, Texans can't do but go up from 2022.

‘Meco would be fantastic - not just because of the obvious “he’s a damn good coach” aspect of it, but it would be a homecoming for him, returning to the team that drafted him in 2006; I know I’d ransack my old closet at my parents’ house and unretire my DeMeco Ryans jersey if he was the hire, and I’d imagine others would too.

From what I’ve heard, the Texans are thinking offensive minded people for the next role. Maybe Caserio (without Easterby in his ear) will buck the trend and give Eric Bieniemy a shot…?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well yeah so have lots of other coaches who have just worn out their welcome in one place. It doesn't mean it wasn't best for both the team and the coach to move on.

I agree.   Just saying he would land elsewhere pretty quickly.