HCs who will be Fired

RUGmen

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

‘Meco would be fantastic - not just because of the obvious “he’s a damn good coach” aspect of it, but it would be a homecoming for him, returning to the team that drafted him in 2006; I know I’d ransack my old closet at my parents’ house and unretire my DeMeco Ryans jersey if he was the hire, and I’d imagine others would too.

From what I’ve heard, the Texans are thinking offensive minded people for the next role. Maybe Caserio (without Easterby in his ear) will buck the trend and give Eric Bieniemy a shot…?

Honestly think this would be if he left the 49ers, his #1 destination.  From what I suggested above to the idea of being the HC to bring that Organization, the one who believed enough to draft him back to prosperity. 

In fact on record more I think of it.

Texans next HC - DeMeco Ryan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Honestly think this would be if he left the 49ers, his #1 destination.  From what I suggested above to the idea of being the HC to bring that Organization, the one who believed enough to draft him back to prosperity. 

In fact on record more I think of it.

Texans next HC - DeMeco Ryan

This is what logical people think. However, the Texans can be illogical at times - so I’m hoping for the best while bracing for Josh McCown.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2022 at 5:16 AM, biggie. said:

Brandon Staley IF there's mutual interest between LAC and Sean Payton: Otherwise Staley will be put on the hotseat for 2023. He's a boneheaded coach who overanalyzes everything and his poorly calculated aggressive playcalling has cost LAC numerous tines. I was one of the first people to call for his job due to his blind allegiance to "analytics" and no one listened and praised him for his aggressiveness.

You were wrong then. Just like you are wrong now. His aggressiveness using analytics won us more games than lost last year. He started losing games this year when he moved away from this analytical aggressiveness. Both KC games are great examples of winnable games that were lost because he became too conservative.

6 hours ago, Xenos said:

You were wrong then. Just like you are wrong now. His aggressiveness using analytics won us more games than lost last year. He started losing games this year when he moved away from this analytical aggressiveness. Both KC games are great examples of winnable games that were lost because he became too conservative.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2022/10/09/baffling-decision-by-chargers-coach-brandon-staley-shocks-keenan-allen/

Staley is just as "analytics" driven and it just looks like it works because of luck. Even his players question his playcalling.

But whatever floats your boat.

Edited by biggie.

4 hours ago, biggie. said:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2022/10/09/baffling-decision-by-chargers-coach-brandon-staley-shocks-keenan-allen/

Staley is just as "analytics" driven and it just looks like it works because of luck. Even his players question his playcalling.

Why do you have analytics in quotes?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is what logical people think. However, the Texans can be illogical at times - so I’m hoping for the best while bracing for Josh McCown.

Demeco Ryans would make so much sense. He is very similar to Vrabel to me- former LB, coordinator for only season, leader of men type coach. Houston could bring back a former leader and player while also kind of healing the wound (if there is one) of having Vrabel leave to be the head coach of a divisional rival.

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

Bingo. Jack Easterby made a lot of people uneasy because he wanted to be a part of every decision made and wanted to tell everyone how to do their job, would take credit for the things that went well, but would throw people under the bud when they failed.

He was crossing over into everyone’s lane - with him out of the picture, Nick Caserio now can bring in his guy (which I would expect to be Brian Flores or Jonathan Gannon - the two finalists next to Easterby’s choice, Josh McCown).

While I’m here…

Five… in four seasons? Hmm…

2002 - 2005: Dom Capers

2006 - 2013: Gary Kubiak (Wade Phillips Interim HC for four games in ‘13)

2014 - 2020: Bill O’Brien (Romeo Crennell Interim HC for 12 games in ‘20)

2021: David Culley

2022: Lovie Smith 

Five… in 20 seasons is more accurate.

As illustrated above, Texans HCs traditionally get a lot more rope than expected; Kubiak and O’Brien should have been terminated about 2-3 years before they we’re actually fired.

From 2020 onward - sure, Culley and Lovie and short term guys, but both were dealing with the long term damage created by GM Bill O’Brien (the Tunsil trade, the Hopkins trade, the Clowney trade, etc). Then you add the Deshaun Watson trade demand (further complicated by the Deshaun Watson legal situation) and you can see that this was never a desirable situation - so you find a fall guy or two while you clean the cap (check) get some much needed draft capital (check) and get away from the Deshaun Watson drama (check). It’s not a stretch to say the Texans job was the one job with the most unprecedented roadblocks - we’ve seen bad GMs tank a cap and make bad trades, but have we ever seen a franchise QB demand a trade while dealing with a legal situation (not even considering the scope of the legal situation)? Did you want to saddle your future HC with those burdens, or pay two guys to take the arrows while the cleanup was underway?

For the record - David Culley made $23mm for his one season as HC, a $3mm salary followed up by a $20mm contract buyout following his termination. Not bad for a former WR coach, banking more than Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll combined. I’d wager Lovie has a similar buyout clause - because if you’re gonna be a fall guy, you’re gonna get paid for your sacrifice.

Caserio has a war chest full of picks in ‘23 and ‘24 (including 1.1 in a year with actual QBs to consider) as well as close to $65mm in cap space in ‘23 along with a reported $165mm in cap space in ‘24. There is also the added bonus of no longer reporting to the Joel Osteen of the NFL, a guy who had zero football experience yet held the title of Executive Vice President of Football Operations.

Will it work out? I don’t really know. But it’s better than yesterday, and the day before yesterday.

I count 5 HC in 4 years when Lovie is fired.

2020: BOB and Crennel

2021: Culley

2022: Lovie

2023: New Coach

I hope it works out for you guys. However, If I’m a FA or an agent, This looks like organizational disfunction. Which could lead to players being with coaches who aren’t fits for their play. I’d steer my client far away from a team who had 5 coaches in 4 seasons. 

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

That article doesn’t prove that he’s as analytical as last year though. KA is one player that also had no problem going for it on 4th down when he was on the field last year. 

Maybe provide some actual proof that it cost them games using analytics instead of making up things up.

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

That article doesn’t prove that he’s as analytical as last year though. KA is one player that also had no problem going for it on 4th down when he was on the field last year. 

Maybe provide some actual proof that it cost them games using analytics instead of making up things up.

Staley made some head scratching moves last season on 4th down. This year he’s reduced it.

However, he nearly made the worst decision possible in the Chargers/Browns game.

Staley job may come down if he’s willing to fire Lombardi