BDL 2022 Playoffs Week 2 - #5 Cancun Kaiju @ #3 Rome Eternals

RedGold

Who Wins?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Cancun Kaiju
    • Rome Eternals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2022 at 05:00 AM

CB depth and playing time/ability isn't upto par for the type of defensive gameplan Cancun has. Pitre and Wilson can mitigate for sure but Rome does too much on offense for Cancun to respond to the mismatches Rome can produce for advantages. If Cancun's gameplan was more attuned for their safeties to play most of the game to their skill sets (IMO like myself vs Anchorage) I wouldn't care but this is not the case here.

5 hours ago, LAOJoe said:

CB depth and playing time/ability isn't upto par for the type of defensive gameplan Cancun has. Pitre and Wilson can mitigate for sure but Rome does too much on offense for Cancun to respond to the mismatches Rome can produce for advantages. If Cancun's gameplan was more attuned for their safeties to play most of the game to their skill sets (IMO like myself vs Anchorage) I wouldn't care but this is not the case here.

If I could start more than 3, I would. With the inactives, Pitre is in a typical slot role a lot as we are in a 2 high shell all game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If I could start more than 3, I would. With the inactives, Pitre is in a typical slot role a lot as we are in a 2 high shell all game.

I don't find this the same situation as I had a few weeks ago. I had 2 outside CBs starting and playing all game that see 100% of snaps every game IRL and was never taking them off. They could be trusted to play all game. My defense was explicitly designed to have safeties fill in in coverage in certain ways and not to have a 4th CB on just bc voters wanted it. I didn't agree with them as I felt I had that covered. This isn't quite the same situation. I don't think they can hold out all game vs multiple looks with this specific group of DBs and gameplans. It's not an unmitigated disaster, as we both said your safeties help but Rome is good and they are also doing a good job of exploiting it.

Edited by LAOJoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LAOJoe said:

I don't find this the same situation as I had a few weeks ago. I had 2 outside CBs starting and playing all game that see 100% of snaps every game IRL and was never taking them off. They could be trusted to play all game. My defense was explicitly designed to have safeties fill in in coverage in certain ways and not to have a 4th CB on just bc voters wanted it. I didn't agree with them as I felt I had that covered. This isn't quite the same situation. I don't think they can hold out all game vs multiple looks with this specific group of DBs and gameplans. It's not an unmitigated disaster, as we both said your safeties help but Rome is good and they are also doing a good job of exploiting it.

Fair enough. I also think that if he’s running it 40% of the time and relying on RB in the passing game, I love that matchup and take it all day.

• Like 1

What a ridiculous set of game plans. I have far more fun reading one offensive plan, then the opposing defensive plan and seeing the chess match.

Despite what Cancun thinks I actually really like the edge guys/depth that Rome has and I think they will in fact be able to get to Mahomes a little bit. I love how their CB's also match up with Cancuns WR's, which is legitimately the only thing that will stop them from getting absolutely bent over in the cover 1 they seem content to run when their opponent has two speedy players and recognizes the cover 1 weakness. Cancun will hit some shots there if Mahomes has time.

Rome's offensive players are at an advantage here with Cancun suffering some untimely injuries, as has been the story of the post season for most losing teams so far. I think Cancun's defensive game plan is phenomenal, they saw the flood concepts coming, they've got special blitzes that I think would work. I think the game plan is the only thing that stops Rome from moving the ball at will, but Herbert (I guess I'm a bigger fan than some) is going to find those mismatches a few times this week and win this game.

I think both QBs will have some issues against the pass rush but I like Cancun's plans to slow it down. While I think the IC-Anchorage game will be a defensive one, I think this one turns into a bit of a shoot out. Ultimately I think it's a close game but Mahomes wins the matchup.

Both teams have good-to-great DLs, excellent LBers, and I honestly think the secondary questions on both sides are being overblown. 

Both teams have great QBs, Cancun has better RBs, Rome has better WRs, and both have a couple questions on the OL.  Tyron isn't playing full time yet and Cole got his QB a concussion on Sunday.  Nijman has been worse lately and Cosmi didn't play at all in a return from an ankle injury.  So I think both teams will have to go to their benches on the OL at least in a rotation.  And that favors Rome as Raimann is better than whoever Cancun would play. 

The Cover 2 shell will force Herbert to stay patient all game and be more methodical.  Rome's Cover 1 D will give Cancun some more opportunities at explosive plays. 

I wish one of y'all had screwed up and made this easy.

• Like 1

I'm going Cancun.  I think they will be able to run a Cover 2 shell without getting gashed in the run game which will force Herbert to stay patient.  Herbert makes his money off big plays.  I think he gets frustrated and tries to force a couple throws which ends up costing him in the end.

Excellent work by both teams. Liked the gameplans a ton.

I see Mahomes having a lot of success. He can move well which will be important considering the state of his OL. I can see both edges getting to him and perhaps forcing a strip sack. I think Mahomes will have troubles targeting Humphrey with the latter having an all pro season. I think Stevenson does some damage (should’ve strongly considered starting him), and Mahomes magic is real. He can get this team a couple TDs doing silly things.

On the other side, I get Rome being hyped to play Smith but I do think he’ll have some rust. Fortunately, Cam Jordan hasn’t been his usual hall of fame level but still solid. I can see Cancun’s defense having some success. The RPO will get some first downs but I think the empty look could lead to a Herbert turnover or two once he drifts out the pocket. He will throw some lasers and be prolific but I could see him forcing one or two and Cancun capitalizing.

I definitely see Waddle getting the best of White. He’s not fully back from his injury and having shadow responsibility against Waddle with a QB like Herbert could be trouble, particularly on those double edge empty sets where Herbert can break the pocket and find someone on improvision.

All things considered, I see both defenses making plays. I think both offenses can get an easy score off a turnover and begin to find their successes in the 2nd half. It ultimately comes down to who has the ball last, but I think Mahomes makes one more play similar to what we saw IRL. Marcus Williams (another all pro this year) caps the game with an INT on a desperation heave after Mahomes leads Cancun to a TD with under :30 seconds left in the game.

Cancun 30-26