Mocks and Simulations

dll2000

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Just like alot of people around here "want" him to get signed this offseason, at WR#2 money, coming off his worst season

Feels like he could get that same type of deal next April, almost regardless of what he does in the 2023 season

He isn't getting #1 money from anyone.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

That was the best offer I had in this mock.

The main goal is to add talent around Fields to see what he is/ can become.  Relying on a rookie is more risky vs a veteran that has shown to be an NFL starting and productive WR.

Regarding Buckner vs Pittman, the Colts had already reworked his contract, so they weren't moving him

Nobody wants to do a big trade up in a mock.  I feel for you.

Takes fun out of it for them.  

Edited by dll2000

•  

•  

•  

• Indianapolis Colts
    Indianapolis Colts
  • Todd McShay
  • Jalen Carter

Alyssa Barbieri
Thu, February 16, 2023 at 6:35 AM CST·2 min read

In this article:
  •  

•  

•  

• Indianapolis Colts
    Indianapolis Colts
    NFL|3rd AFC South|4-12-1

• Todd McShay
    Player of American football
  • Jalen Carter
    American football player

50121b6f2ee3bc172a7ad002fa341399

ESPN’s Todd McShay released his post-Super Bowl mock draft, which features Chicago trading back three spots with the Colts for what McShay wagers would be “the No. 4 pick, a second-rounder (No. 35), a fifth-rounder and maybe even an additional Round 1 selection in 2024.”

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He isn't getting #1 money from anyone.

Today? No. But Im sure he believes he is good enough to be a #1. And wants to be paid like a #1.

So if he goes for 75 catches, 1000 yards and 10 TDs this year, hes going to be looking for Christian Kirk money, compared to the 2/3 years at $12 that has been tossed around here.

That #2 WR money is going to be there for him in 2024 even if he doesnt play a single snap this yeart

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Today? No. But Im sure he believes he is good enough to be a #1. And wants to be paid like a #1.

So if he goes for 75 catches, 1000 yards and 10 TDs this year, hes going to be looking for Christian Kirk money, compared to the 2/3 years at $12 that has been tossed around here.

That #2 WR money is going to be there for him in 2024 even if he doesnt play a single snap this yeart

He could get hit by bus next year.   He will want money in hand.  

Kirk money is 15 mil per. 

#1 WR money is 25 - 30 mil per.  At his size he is realistically probably never getting #1 money.   

He would sign for Kirk money, probably a little less coming off an injury and a bad season.  

A 3 year deal allows him to hit FA again before he is too old.  

Something like 14.8 per for 3 years gets it done I think.  Maybe a little more or less.  Guarantee most of it.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He could get hit by bus next year.   He will want money in hand.  

Always on solid ground when this is where we are starting

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Kirk money is 15 mil per. 

He's making more than that

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

#1 WR money is 25 - 30 mil per.  At his size he is realistically probably never getting #1 money.   

In reality, there are only 5 receivers making $25m+ per year on their AAV. 

There are only actually 14 WRs making $20m+ per year on their AAV

Now you can argue that there are not 32 true #1 WRs in the league, but there is no way you can claim there are only 5, call it 10/12 counting guys on rookie contracts. 

The Top of the Top are getting $25-30m, not every #1 WR.

56 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Always on solid ground when this is where we are starting

He's making more than that

In reality, there are only 5 receivers making $25m+ per year on their AAV. 

There are only actually 14 WRs making $20m+ per year on their AAV

Now you can argue that there are not 32 true #1 WRs in the league, but there is no way you can claim there are only 5, call it 10/12 counting guys on rookie contracts. 

The Top of the Top are getting $25-30m, not every #1 WR.

Let's see what spotrac has for his market value:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/darnell-mooney-47769/market-value/

Maybe he can get a little more.  I don't know.  But I don't think it is tons more.  That is neighborhood.  

I would be willing to extend him at that rate.  All I am saying.

What do you think he is worth?

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Just like alot of people around here "want" him to get signed this offseason, at WR#2 money, coming off his worst season

Feels like he could get that same type of deal next April, almost regardless of what he does in the 2023 season

Assuming health, any extension for Mooney this offseason probably falls somewhere in that $16M-18M range IMO. Kirk got $18M per x 4 years, and Mooney’s 2021 output exceeded that of Christian Kirk in AZ, but his 2022 output was more Russell Gage in ATL ($10M AAV), and then he got hurt. If we expect that what he was in 2021 is more what we’ll see in 2023 and beyond then a Kirk-ish deal less a bit feels like what’s coming.

There’s gonna be sticker shock with any Mooney extension IMO, but people need to keep the appropriate perspective on it. If a 26-year old 60-80 catch, 800-1000 yard WR with sub-4.4 speed were to hit the FA market in March 2024 he’s getting PAID. That’s Mooney, and he’s already here and from all accounts he wants to stay here.

Plus, doing an extension a year before he hits FA helps immensely with the cap aspects of it too. From strictly a cap standpoint, a $4/64M extension for Mooney would hit the cap like a 5/$67M deal since he’s set this year at $3M. Now you’re talking $13.4M AAV against the cap. Hell, they could just take his signing bonus in a new deal against this year’s cap too and take his 2023 number like $20M instead of $3M. If they were to do that they only have to account for $47M over the final 4 years of the hypothetical deal against the cap and  the rest of the deal is far more manageable (and makes him WAY easier to move on from if he doesn’t live up to the deal in 2 years). If they did that deal today we’d still be sitting on over $80M in cap space this offseason too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming health, any extension for Mooney this offseason probably falls somewhere in that $16M-18M range IMO. Kirk got $18M per x 4 years, and Mooney’s 2021 output exceeded that of Christian Kirk in AZ, but his 2022 output was more Russell Gage in ATL ($10M AAV), and then he got hurt. If we expect that what he was in 2021 is more what we’ll see in 2023 and beyond then a Kirk-ish deal less a bit feels like what’s coming.

There’s gonna be sticker shock with any Mooney extension IMO, but people need to keep the appropriate perspective on it. If a 26-year old 60-80 catch, 800-1000 yard WR with sub-4.4 speed were to hit the FA market in March 2024 he’s getting PAID. That’s Mooney, and he’s already here and from all accounts he wants to stay here.

Plus, doing an extension a year before he hits FA helps immensely with the cap aspects of it too. From strictly a cap standpoint, a $4/64M extension for Mooney would hit the cap like a 5/$67M deal since he’s set this year at $3M. Now you’re talking $13.4M AAV against the cap. Hell, they could just take his signing bonus in a new deal against this year’s cap too and take his 2023 number like $20M instead of $3M. If they were to do that they only have to account for $47M over the final 4 years of the hypothetical deal against the cap and  the rest of the deal is far more manageable (and makes him WAY easier to move on from if he doesn’t live up to the deal in 2 years). If they did that deal today we’d still be sitting on over $80M in cap space this offseason too. 

Fine.  Do it.  This year is time.   Don't wait until next year.

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

This right here, this is why I dont think we will be adding another major receiver this offseason (via Trade or Free Agency) because we have 2 potential guys to pay right now, who still havent completely proven, and we need to make decisions on. Because if you add another Vet (for one year or multiple) that means you have punted on either Mooney or Claypool going forward already

I believe, and mostly it's just what I would do; is add a WR in FA and also draft one in the 2nd or 3rd also. That way you control those players for about 4 years and you have this year to figure out Mooney and Claypool.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Nobody wants to do a big trade up in a mock.  I feel for you.

Takes fun out of it for them.  

I asked just about every QB needy team in the top 10 and indy was the only team interested.   

I'm not a big Claypool fan so if I can add another WR in FA, I'm hoping to trade Claypool....might even consider moving Mooney depending on trade value

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I asked just about every QB needy team in the top 10 and indy was the only team interested.   

I'm not a big Claypool fan so if I can add another WR in FA, I'm hoping to trade Claypool....might even consider moving Mooney depending on trade value

If you move on from one or both those WRs I think it would leave the WR depth just as bad or worse than this past season. Just seems like a bad plan to me.

21 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

If you move on from one or both those WRs I think it would leave the WR depth just as bad or worse than this past season. Just seems like a bad plan to me.

Was awarded DJ Chark in round 1 of FA.  Traveling today and didn't get a chance to switch that out to another FA.

Pittman, Mooney, Chark, Claypool