2023 Free Agency

Dessie

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

We gotta break the bank for a DT for sure IMO. 

I sure hope so. DT is a position where top prospects usually require a few years of experience before they emerge. That means we need a veteran that is already playing at a high level if we expect immediate improvements. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 5:37 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would love Payne but highly unlikely Washington lets him hit the market.  If they didn't think they could resign him they would have traded him before the deadline.

Yeah I remember when we were all talking about how he would have to be the number one priority and the thing I didn't say on here cause I didn't wanna seem like a hater was they're gonna franchise him. Sounds like 11.5 sacks add a position where 5 sacks would be really good. He is the type of player you cut other players to keep. The same is true for hargrave

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah I remember when we were all talking about how he would have to be the number one priority and the thing I didn't say on here cause I didn't wanna seem like a hater was they're gonna franchise him. Sounds like 11.5 sacks add a position where 5 sacks would be really good. He is the type of player you cut other players to keep. The same is true for hargrave

I tend to agree, but they have a limited salary cap resources as it sits now. They need a QB, so will need cap to figure that out. They have a lot of cap tied up on the Dline already with Allen. And drafted Phidarian Mathis out of Alabama in round 2 last year. 

Doubtful they let Payne hit FA after a career year, but wouldn't be surprising.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I tend to agree, but they have a limited salary cap resources as it sits now. They need a QB, so will need cap to figure that out. They have a lot of cap tied up on the Dline already with Allen. And drafted Phidarian Mathis out of Alabama in round 2 last year. 

Doubtful they let Payne hit FA after a career year, but wouldn't be surprising.

I think that's a very optimistic way of looking at it. I think there's players that can easily be replaced in the draft that they can cut in order to keep him if even to franchise him. the IDL that can rush the passer has become a premium position in the NFL even more so than the Edge rusher because of its ability to affect the passer in a particular way that the edge rusher can't.