Official 2024 QB Thread

Danger

On 3/17/2023 at 11:51 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Another one for Maye. I really think Ewers…..well…..he sucks

On 3/17/2023 at 12:02 PM, Daniel said:

I didn't see it with Ewers either.  Not sure why he's really in the conversation.  I think it's Williams, Maye, and Travis as all but certain first rounders, and Nix as a probable first.  After that, there are a ton of physically talented dudes that could pull an Anthony Richardson, like Sanders, Jefferson, Daniels, Rattler, and Milton, but aren't in the conversation right now, and then some guys who are pretty polished, but really need to step up like McCall, Leary, and Pennix.  I don't see Ewers in either category myself.

Really? I like Ewers, he has a live arm, moves well in the pocket, and his decision making got better as the season went on. I think it's important to remember that he was basically a true freshman last season. I know that he was technically a RS freshman but he reclassified to redshirt at Ohio State to get that NIL check. Getting hurt early in the season against Alabama really set his season back but I think he's poised to make a leap this year and solidify himself as a first round pick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I need to watch a lot more but my early rankings:

1. Caleb Williams | USC

2. Drake Maye | North Carolina

3. Quinn Ewers | Texas

4. Michael Penix Jr. | Washington

5. Shedeur Sanders | Colorado 

Penix will be 24 next May with a major injury history. I love his college game but between his age, injuries, and lack of arm strength, I’d be very surprised to see him drafted before R3.

As for Ewers, he’s a giant question mark. His film is up and down but he just turned 20. He has every natural ability you’d want for a quarterback but his mechanics are horrendous. It’s hard to say how much of his struggles stemmed from the injury to his throwing shoulder vs Alabama. This year will be a big one for him on taking the next steps.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Penix will be 24 next May with a major injury history. I love his college game but between his age, injuries, and lack of arm strength, I’d be very surprised to see him drafted before R3.

Is he that much different than Hendon Hooker?

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As for Ewers, he’s a giant question mark. His film is up and down but he just turned 20. He has every natural ability you’d want for a quarterback but his mechanics are horrendous. It’s hard to say how much of his struggles stemmed from the injury to his throwing shoulder vs Alabama. This year will be a big one for him on taking the next steps.

There's even more pressure to perform this season because he has Arch Manning breathing down his neck. He cut his mullet and is reportedly trying to take things more serious.

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There's even more pressure to perform this season because he has Arch Manning breathing down his neck. He cut his mullet and is reportedly trying to take things more serious.

Arch Manning just got demoted to 3rd string...

Ewers has rd 1 potential, but he has a long way to go still.  Projecting him there now is banking on him being young and improving significantly (which may happen) and maturing.  It will be interesting to watch this year.  Ewers will either be a top 7 pick next year or he'll be transferring to a new school, and I almost see no in between.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I need to watch a lot more but my early rankings:

1. Caleb Williams | USC

3. Quinn Ewers | Texas

4. Michael Penix Jr. | Washington

5. Shedeur Sanders | Colorado 

1. Caleb Wiliams | USC
3. Quinn Ewers | Texas
4. Michael Pratt | Tulane