Official 2024 QB Thread

Danger

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm with you. I wouldn't really want to touch him either unless it's potentially a late Day 3 at best at this time. That said, throwing a name out there regardless who maybe could turn.

Yeah, but he had a very, very strong finish to the season.  Beating Tennessee and Clemson and almost beating Notre Dame, in three very well QBed games, is a ridiculous three game resume.  If that's indicative of the level of play he'll be at next season, then he'll get into the conversation quickly.  But that is an awfully big but.

Just looking at the game they played against Tennessee, and nothing else, he was the best QB we faced this season.  And that's a season that saw Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Stetson Bennett, Will Levis, and Keedon Slovis all face the Vols.  Rattler was flawless.  I know it was possibly the best game of his career, but I see the upside.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, but he had a very, very strong finish to the season.  Beating Tennessee and Clemson and almost beating Notre Dame, in three very well QBed games, is a ridiculous three game resume.  If that's indicative of the level of play he'll be at next season, then he'll get into the conversation quickly.  But that is an awfully big but.

Just looking at the game they played against Tennessee, and nothing else, he was the best QB we faced this season.  And that's a season that saw Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Stetson Bennett, Will Levis, and Keedon Slovis all face the Vols.  Rattler was flawless.  I know it was possibly the best game of his career, but I see the upside.

In fact, just piggybacking off of this, since Tennessee faced pretty much every big QB this season other than Stroud, here's how they compare (threw in Daniels, Slovis, and Rattler for comparison):

Slovis: 14/24, 195 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4 sack 45.8 QBR
Richardson: 24/44, 453 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT, 17 rush, 62 yd, 2 TD, 1 sack 80.3 QBR
Daniels: 32/45, 300 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 5 sack 53.1 QBR
Young: 32/45, 455 yds, 2 TD, 1 sack 87.9 QBR
Levis: 16/27, 98 yds, 3 INT, 4 sack 13.4 QBR (season low QBR for all Vols opponents)
Bennett: 17/25, 257 yds, 2 TD, 1 rush, 13 yd, 1 TD, 97.8 QBR
Rattler: 30/37, 438 yds, 6 TD, 1 sack 97.5 QBR

Now I know box score scouting doesn't tell you the whole story by any means, but yeah, Rattler went off.  Also, I forgot just how bad Levis was in that game.  Probably a big reason I think he's such a bad prospect.  Literally played the worst game of any QB that Tennessee faced this whole season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

In fact, just piggybacking off of this, since Tennessee faced pretty much every big QB this season other than Stroud, here's how they compare (threw in Daniels, Slovis, and Rattler for comparison):

Slovis: 14/24, 195 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4 sack 45.8 QBR
Richardson: 24/44, 453 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT, 17 rush, 62 yd, 2 TD, 1 sack 80.3 QBR
Daniels: 32/45, 300 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 5 sack 53.1 QBR
Young: 32/45, 455 yds, 2 TD, 1 sack 87.9 QBR
Levis: 16/27, 98 yds, 3 INT, 4 sack 13.4 QBR (season low QBR for all Vols opponents)
Bennett: 17/25, 257 yds, 2 TD, 1 rush, 13 yd, 1 TD, 97.8 QBR
Rattler: 30/37, 438 yds, 6 TD, 1 sack 97.5 QBR

Now I know box score scouting doesn't tell you the whole story by any means, but yeah, Rattler went off.  Also, I forgot just how bad Levis was in that game.  Probably a big reason I think he's such a bad prospect.  Literally played the worst game of any QB that Tennessee faced this whole season.

Rattlers ball placement against us was arguably the best I've ever seen from a college QB over the course of a game.

Seemed like every throw was perfect

• Like 1

Obviously, he has another year to progress and grow up but I'd be hard pressed to spend a high pick on a guy who threw 1/3 of his TDs in one game, has massive consistency/decision making issues, and seems to be pretty unliked in general. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm with you. I wouldn't really want to touch him either unless it's potentially a late Day 3 at best at this time. That said, throwing a name out there regardless who maybe could turn.

As a Day 3 QB, you could do worse.  As a Day 1 or early Day 2, absolutely not.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 2:34 PM, JetsandI said:

Cameron Ward

Riley Leonard

Collin Schlee

I don't know about 1st round lock but they should be taken in first 3 rounds if everything goes well.

Ward and Leonard are interesting no question but in this QB class which could be one of the deepest in the history of the NFL draft.  Ward and Leonard might be best to return to school but all depends on how they play of course, but the class is totally loaded with all the QBs returning for what I assume to be the NIL money they get so why not come back.  The first 8-10 guys on this that could have declared for the 2023 draft I had all declaring before the season started and some added during the season because of their play.  Now all are in the 2024 group.

Caleb Williams USC JR
Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS SR
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Bo Nix Oregon RS SR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS SR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS SR
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS SR
Devin Leary Kentucky RS SR
Jayden Daniels LSU RS SR
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS SR
Cameron Rising Utah RS SR
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State SR
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS SR
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS SR
Will Rogers Miss State SR
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS SR
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS SR
Kedon Slovis BYU RS SR
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS SR
John Rhys Plumlee UCF RS SR
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS SR
Brennan Armstrong NC State RS SR
Jeff Sims Nebraska SR
Hank Bachmeier La Tech RS SR
Jalon Daniels Kansas SR
Spencer Sanders NA RS SR
JT Daniels Rice RS
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, Scoundrel said:

Jordan Travis FSU will be a name. 

I am curious what non-bias fans think of him as an NFL prospect.

He put up very similar stats to Bryce Young this year (#1 QBR in the nation) but is slightly bigger and more dangerous with his legs.

He’s got the arm to make all the throws and Norvell has really developed the mental side of his game too. Other than size/durability concerns I don’t see why he can’t be a top 10 pick next year if he has another season like last year. But would like to hear other’s opinions.

41 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Other than size/durability concerns I don’t see why he can’t be a top 10 pick next year if he has another season like last year. But would like to hear other’s opinions.

His lower body mechanics have been less than desirable, to put it lightly. I'm not sure why it hasn't gotten much better after a few years at FSU. But the knock on Mahomes was lower body mechanics, too.

Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am curious what non-bias fans think of him as an NFL prospect.

He put up very similar stats to Bryce Young this year (#1 QBR in the nation) but is slightly bigger and more dangerous with his legs.

He’s got the arm to make all the throws and Norvell has really developed the mental side of his game too. Other than size/durability concerns I don’t see why he can’t be a top 10 pick next year if he has another season like last year. But would like to hear other’s opinions.

He will be 24 a week after he is drafted. He should have come out this year. He’d have ended up a first round pick imo and likely one that went to a better situation. As the poster above me stated there are some lower mechanic issues with his base at times. I think he has a lot of potential and he will be fighting for 3rd or 4th QB next year but he would probably have been doing that this year. Not sure how much more developing he will do at FSU vs the NFL development he would have gotten this year.

• Like 2

As an FSU fan, I'm glad JT13 is back. We have a real shot to unseat Clemson in 2023.

But him, Verse, and Benson I thought should've gone pro. Verse was perhaps a 1st rounder, Benson a Day 2 guy, and Travis probably a 4th rounder.

Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

As an FSU fan, I'm glad JT13 is back. We have a real shot to unseat Clemson in 2023.

But him, Verse, and Benson I thought should've gone pro. Verse was perhaps a 1st rounder, Benson a Day 2 guy, and Travis probably a 4th rounder.

Travis was going to rise in the ore draft process I’d bet the house

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I agree but selfishly I am happy they are all returning. I think Lovett could’ve been a pre-draft riser as well. I bet he would’ve dominated the senior bowl.