2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

Just now, Broncofan said:

Denver will block any lateral moves.  They already did with an earlier request.   Sounds like ownership will stand firm on him being retained and likely promoted to AC with a raise.  No brainer imo.  

Don't do it. Let the head coach pick his own staff. You're going to lose him soon anyway. Trust me, I'm only doing what's in Denver's best interest, I swear 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Don't do it. Let the head coach pick his own staff. You're going to lose him soon anyway. Trust me, I'm only doing what's in Denver's best interest, I swear 

LOL - it’s about time Denver got in on the comp pick fest SF enjoys.    But they have to be with team for 2 years minimum.   He’s likely gone after 2023 if he’s as good as this past year.  

For this year it’s HC or DEN though.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Slowik has been around for a bit, but mostly as an assistant and QC. This is his first year as a passing game coordinator. He's a former PFF analyst which is kind of fun, but not a lot of real experience there. I'd be a bit surprised if Staley put his job on the line for that. Slowik will be an OC at some point, I think, but that is a pretty fast rise.  

Outside of Olson 🤮, all of the people being interviewed haven’t had that much experience in playcalling either. Thomas Brown is the next most qualified. So it feels like Staley is looking for the next wunderkind kid.

2 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Would not be my first choice, but Bills/Bengals assistants are high on my list of teams we should look at. Their ability to run the ball and balance the offense would be very welcome here. 

Brady got a bit of a raw deal in Carolina, all things considered. I'd definitely give him another crack at it. His job that first year in Carolina with Teddy B looks even better in hindsight, if we are being honest. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I think they are doing 2nd interviews with him and the Giants OC as trial runs for when they eventually do a 2nd interview with Ryans and Gannon. 

That is certainly a take. 

Do they not have confidence to conduct these interviews already? Dont you think that is a major red flag considering this will be HC #4 in 4 seasons?

3 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Bremer suggested that Pelissero confirmed Quinn for a second interview but I didn’t see it on Twitter and I didn’t see anything anywhere confirming Saturday for the second round of interviews 

78nryt.jpg

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, N4L said:

Do they not have confidence to conduct these interviews already? Dont you think that is a major red flag considering this will be HC #4 in 4 seasons?

Ryans and Gannon are still in the playoffs, so Texans can’t have their in person 2nd interview until next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I honestly think Cal McNair doesn’t have the confidence. He’s not some self made magnate, he’s lived off his dad’s teat since he was 17 - and he‘s more or less acknowledging he made big mistakes earlier in his tenure and trying to rely on himself vs a snake oil salesman. Cal no doubt hears the “Tommy Boy” comparisons - and he’s at least trying to be smarter this time.

I also think this is a move to protect themselves from having to hire another Culley/Lovie - in each hiring cycle before, the Texans zeroed in on a candidate and had to quickly pivot to an other (lesser) name. This time… by casting a wider net, they have a fallback plan in the event DeMeco takes another job or stays in San Francisco another year.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Brady got a bit of a raw deal in Carolina, all things considered. I'd definitely give him another crack at it. His job that first year in Carolina with Teddy B looks even better in hindsight, if we are being honest. 

Agreed. He was one of the hottest names in football for a while but got a raw deal with the Panthers, as did basically everyone under Matt Rhule. He has worked with Burrow / Allen and he'd finally have the QB and weapons he needs with the Chargers.