Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

So today my boy crashed his bike on the way to school. He left early and then as I was taking the girls we started to pass him as he was pushing his bike with one hand. Kid was a mess and limping. He wasn't sure exactly what caught him up but something made him hit the pavement hard.

Stopped and checked on him, he clearly broke his wrist. He thought it was a bad sprain and asked if we could just wrap it so he wouldn't have to miss the game. Threw the bike in the back, took the girls to school and he is now the proud owned of yet another splint and sling. Then was told he was out of PE and all sports 4-8 weeks since it is going to be up to the ortho.

He went to watch the team play and they ended up losing by 5. Ended the first quarter 19-4, so he was really beating himself up for the loss. Sucky day.

Basketball?

I don't have tik tok, but I watch this show on youtube where this Asian guy makes fun of Asian parents.   Really funny.

Made me think of some middle class white dad jokes or skits I could do if I was so inclined.

One would revolve around how we are when our kids get hurt when they are little and just dad is there, especially our boys.   No sympathy.  All tough love.

Until they eventually get to point where your boy is at and they do it on their own.   I am okay.   I can play.  I don't need a doctor.   Then you have to be, okay yeah you do.   You broke something.   But you give them that I am proud look.

• Like 1

I like the pages that pit Fields’ first seasons’ stats against the first few years of Allen or Hurts as if it’s a natural progression to go from lackluster to elite nfl qb. I hope we can get him his own Brown or Diggs and we see that growth out of him 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I like the pages that pit Fields’ first seasons’ stats against the first few years of Allen or Hurts as if it’s a natural progression to go from lackluster to elite nfl qb. I hope we can get him his own Brown or Diggs and we see that growth out of him 

Hurts got a complete elite team around him.   So did Allen to a lessor extent.

A little better comparison would be to 2021 Burrow with that terrible O line (featuring Reily Reiff at RT).   

But he still had a good defense and Boyd, Higgins and Chase to help him.   Though he very nearly did get murdered behind that OL that year.  

Bottom line is he needs more talent.   No QB can develop on an expansion team roster. 

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bottom line is he needs more talent.   No QB can develop on an expansion team roster. 

That’s his biggest detriment now. How many perfect balls he threw last year that were dropped by the most pathetic nfl receivers. The average critic likes to tear him apart for his passing shortcomings but don’t acknowledge that the bears had the worst receiving corps they probably ever had. Sure, Fields did have some bad passes and bad turnovers here and there but overall there shouldn’t be any discussion about him not being the guy until he proves he can’t do it with a competent cast. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Basketball?

I don't have tik tok, but I watch this show on youtube where this Asian guy makes fun of Asian parents.   Really funny.

Made me think of some middle class white dad jokes or skits I could do if I was so inclined.

One would revolve around how we are when our kids get hurt when they are little and just dad is there, especially our boys.   No sympathy.  All tough love.

Until they eventually get to point where your boy is at and they do it on their own.   I am okay.   I can play.  I don't need a doctor.   Then you have to be, okay yeah you do.   You broke something.   But you give them that I am proud look.

Yep, junior high basketball. 

I was always sympathetic, mostly just tried to let them know the pain would pass.  Sadly the kids are hard-headed EXACTLY like I was. You're dead on though, my dad was more proud of me playing through a jacked up knee than how well I played. Lol

After all the damage I caused to my knee though I've definitely switched to the better safe than sorry side. 

• Like 1

Quick movie review as I have a big project I am procrastinating on and need to get to it.

Couldn't sleep last night so I watched a couple of movies.  

One I watched was Vengeance by Ryan from office.   I don't even know his real name.   He wrote, directed and starred in it.

I wanted to hate it, but I didn't.   It wasn't great, but movies are so bad now that by comparison I really ended up enjoying it. 

Not sure if it is supposed to be a self insert, meaning he is essentially playing his real self.  But it seems like it could be.  If it was, he is really dissing himself and movie was a huge introspection.  

On it's face it is fish out of water comedy - smart NYer in dumb Texas, but movie isn't really about that.  

Very minor spoilers below, nothing major  - I will leave some space in case people like to watch their movies knowing nothing of plot.  

Premise is a NY writer is living a vapid meaningless self-centered life.  He knows everything, is smarter than everyone and has theories on why America is way it is and he wants to fix it.   Because he cares.   He wants to move beyond writing articles for NYer and start doing podcasts.  

Some girl he hooked up with and barely remembers dies and he gets guilted into attending funeral in TX.

When he gets down there her stupid TX brother insists she was murdered and Ryan (I honestly don't' remember characters name so I will call him Ryan) thinks it will make a  great podcast series.   He sells an editor on it and she agrees.

He stays with family.   Yadda, yadda, he learns they are not all as dumb as he assumes and they have layers.   But they are all still pretty dumb much of time.   Especially on surface.

But Ryan's character is still kind of dumber than them and the movie is aware of it, which makes it all more tolerable.  If it was just NY smart, TX dumb - I would have turned it off about a quarter of way through.

Ashton Kutcher plays this really wise sage guy he meets down there who surprises him with his intellect.   Ryan and Ashton both give long monologues on philosophy at certain times that I think are supposed to be really smart and deep, but is actually mostly pseudo-intellectual bs that will only impress grad students and self-important actors and the like. 

Ex:  Paraphrasing:  Ashton when inspiring a girl trying to do a recording: Many people disagree on whether God made universe or it sprang into being in a big bang.  But everyone agrees that sound accompanied it.   Yadda yadda yadda some BS about the recordings of our life.    Then girl then sings really passionately LOL.   (There is a deeper theme with this throughout movie he is trying express that is smarter than above - but I won't go into that further here).   

But the super smart philosophy that is kind of stupid, may have actually been on purpose.  I am honestly not sure.  I lean toward latter, which is a reason I liked the movie.  You can't always tell if script is making fun of itself on purpose or not.  If it is, it is fairly deep.  If it isn't, I weep for Ryan.  

Like I said, I liked the movie.   It did have a few interesting observations.   It was entertaining especially amongst what passes for movies these days.  

But Ryan was supposed to have this character arc where he really changed through his experience with this family, but I don't think he actually did at all.

Anyway worth a watch.  Has some genuinely funny moments.  

On 2/22/2023 at 12:20 PM, Ty21 said:

That’s his biggest detriment now. How many perfect balls he threw last year that were dropped by the most pathetic nfl receivers. The average critic likes to tear him apart for his passing shortcomings but don’t acknowledge that the bears had the worst receiving corps they probably ever had. Sure, Fields did have some bad passes and bad turnovers here and there but overall there shouldn’t be any discussion about him not being the guy until he proves he can’t do it with a competent cast. 

Last years WRs were bad, but nothing has ever compared to the Bears 2017 WR corps in Tru's rookie year.

• Like 1

Michael Thomas caught 16 passes for 171 yards and three touchdowns in three games in 2022.

But those numbers would rank third, fourth, and tied for first among Bears wide receivers in 2022.

Thomas did it in three games.

Depressing perspective lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Michael Thomas caught 16 passes for 171 yards and three touchdowns in three games in 2022.

But those numbers would rank third, fourth, and tied for first among Bears wide receivers in 2022.

Thomas did it in three games.

Depressing perspective lol

That... that sucks so bad. Lol

• Like 1

A few random offseason/season predictions:

The Bears stay in the top 4 and still land Carter

Lamar Jackson is traded but doesn't go to Carolina, Atlanta or the Jets; he gets traded to the Commanders

Rodgers stays in Green Bay despite a strong push- not by the Jets or Raiders- by the Titans

Carr picks the Saints and the Jets sign Garoppolo

Tee Higgins gets traded to the Giants

Mac Jones and Geno Smith (despite a 3 year, $75M extension) get benched before Thanksgiving 

The first coach fired is Brandon Staley

The Bears win 9 games

Tua stays healthy and the Dolphins go to the AFC Championship game

So, today I joined a Bears fan Facebook group (actually did it about an hour ago). I thought it would be fun to see what people's thought would be on what may be the most exciting Bears' off-season in recent memory. After reading some of the post and reactions to post over the last hour I have left the group. Boy oh boy do Bears fans make my head hurt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

So, today I joined a Bears fan Facebook group (actually did it about an hour ago). I thought it would be fun to see what people's thought would be on what may be the most exciting Bears' off-season in recent memory. After reading some of the post and reactions to post over the last hour I have left the group. Boy oh boy do Bears fans make my head hurt.

Me - So will we ever join a sports group on Facebook???

Bigbear -

569b5505-57c6-49d4-81b1-c59faa2067f1_tex

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

If you think the FF crew is a bunch of meatballs, definitely don't look at Bears facebook.  Lmao.