Free Agents that won't be free...

vike daddy

Bradbury, the 18th overall pick in the 2018 draft, struggled throughout his first three seasons before putting forth a respectable final year under contract for the Vikings. He finished as the 11th highest-graded center by Pro Football Focus (PFF). KSTP’s Darren Wolfson reported on February 23 that the Vikings have interest in re-signing Bradbury, but if those negotiations don’t work out, Minnesota may pivot to an arguably better option, New York Jets center Connor McGovern.

“There is interest in re-signing Garrett Bradbury, but if they fail on that front, the other good [free agent] center, Connor McGovern has mutual interest,” Wolfson said, adding that McGovern, a Fargo, North Dakota, native would be interested in moving closer to home. “That would be a name to keep an eye on if the Bradbury negotiations go south.”

A 2016 fifth-round pick, McGovern has developed into a consistent top-10 center in the league. He finished the 2022 season as the 10th highest-graded center by PFF and was ninth the year before.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/new-york-jets-connor-mcgovern-garret-bradbury/?fbclid=IwAR3CxiXLZ6GCuN2_uJCULvugPH05R85PBTsLt9sxm_ZjvwcjGDocrprHavQ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

One off the board. I'm surprised. They are already heavily invested in their other DT on a big contract. 

I'm not particularly surprised. That was the best part of their team last year and kept them competitive, and they aren't tied to a high dollar QB. It makes a lot of sense to double down on the DL when you have the cap to do so. 

I sorta like Washington if they get the right QB in place. Good weapons. Strong front 7 and good weapons for a young QB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm not particularly surprised. That was the best part of their team last year and kept them competitive, and they aren't tied to a high dollar QB. It makes a lot of sense to double down on the DL when you have the cap to do so. 

I sorta like Washington if they get the right QB in place. Good weapons. Strong front 7 and good weapons for a young QB.

Jonathan Allen has a 21m cap hit in 2023. Now Payne with 18m+!!! That's incredible for their IDL.

• Like 4

Fournette will probably be looking for a contract in the range of the one he recently signed with the Bucs, which would slot him in at $7 million annually and cut the costs at the starting RB position by half, down from Cook’s $14 million hit. Depending on other interest around the league, Minnesota may be able to bring that number down even further into the $5 million or $6 million range annually.

Whether a three-down back is worth that amount to Adofo-Mensah is the real kicker. Either way, Minnesota could look to supplement the position by selecting a running back in the mid- to late-rounds of the upcoming NFL Draft, allowing for the flexibility to move on from Fournette in a season or two if the signing proves not to be working out.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/leonard-fournette-bucs-dalvin-cook-mattison/?fbclid=IwAR1CRuHELDdN3Dq4cEGpGOdBIN9tLepwYa51DtcJleYzHHEF8rL_Q-67b2Y

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Cutting/trading Cook saves just under $6M. 

It makes absolutely no sense to cut or trade Cook, only to sign a lesser veteran at anywhere close to that number. 

That was my thought as well.  There would be no point to signing Fournette, because then you have similar number on the cap for a far lesser player. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It makes absolutely no sense to cut or trade Cook, only to sign a lesser veteran at anywhere close to that number. 

By dealing with Cook's dead money this year will the team be avoiding dead money and/or salary allocated to Cook in the future?  The savings of $6MM this year you mention are cap savings for this year, but if I understand correctly the team trades Cook they actually save over $10MM of real expense this year, which ultimately translates to over $10MM savings against the cap even if not all this year.  I don't see the RB in this offense being worth that investment. 

I don't know if the team should be spending $7MM either, but that is still saves $3MM in expenses.

I lean towards going with guys on rookie contracts and a lower rent journeyman.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Agreed. I just have a feeling, unless we would attack RB early which I wouldn't like, there is probably no way we enter the year with just a Rookie, Kene, and Chandler on the roster for when cutting Cook is only saving $6M, and again dead cap is still something to remember. I really don't see a FA RB fitting that role either currently to take over top back entering the season.

The trading situation is probably still on the table.

44 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Agreed. I just have a feeling, unless we would attack RB early which I wouldn't like, there is probably no way we enter the year with just a Rookie, Kene, and Chandler on the roster for when cutting Cook is only saving $6M, and again dead cap is still something to remember. I really don't see a FA RB fitting that role either currently to take over top back entering the season.

The trading situation is probably still on the table.

FYI it’s 9m cap savings with a post 6/1 designation. 

On 2/27/2023 at 9:16 PM, vike daddy said:

Bradbury, the 18th overall pick in the 2018 draft, struggled throughout his first three seasons before putting forth a respectable final year under contract for the Vikings. He finished as the 11th highest-graded center by Pro Football Focus (PFF). KSTP’s Darren Wolfson reported on February 23 that the Vikings have interest in re-signing Bradbury, but if those negotiations don’t work out, Minnesota may pivot to an arguably better option, New York Jets center Connor McGovern.

“There is interest in re-signing Garrett Bradbury, but if they fail on that front, the other good [free agent] center, Connor McGovern has mutual interest,” Wolfson said, adding that McGovern, a Fargo, North Dakota, native would be interested in moving closer to home. “That would be a name to keep an eye on if the Bradbury negotiations go south.”

A 2016 fifth-round pick, McGovern has developed into a consistent top-10 center in the league. He finished the 2022 season as the 10th highest-graded center by PFF and was ninth the year before.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/new-york-jets-connor-mcgovern-garret-bradbury/?fbclid=IwAR3CxiXLZ6GCuN2_uJCULvugPH05R85PBTsLt9sxm_ZjvwcjGDocrprHavQ

McGovern?

Not sure he is better than any of these guys honestly, and would he even be that much cheaper than Bradbury?  I assume they would both get around the same amount?

Jason Kelce
Creed Humphrey
Frank Ragnow
Ryan Jensen
Erick McCoy
Ben Jones
Ryan Kelly
David Andrews
Tyler Linderbaum
Jake Brendel
Mitch Morse

Still no clue why not go center 1st round, would save a lot of money and get a player potentially that is just as good if not better.  Sure maybe they miss on the pick but would be hard to be worse than Bradbury was over his career so doubt Schmitz or Patterson would not be up to the task.  

I like moving on from Bradbury, just not sure McGovern is this amazing player or something.  Hell if Myers and Biadasz are better than Bradbury or equal two and both of them fell in the draft when they should have been picked higher.  So getting a guy in the draft better than Bradbury, again not sure it will be that hard, would be really easy if they had a 2nd round pick which they do not but still it is a deep and talented center class.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

McGovern?

Not sure he is better than any of these guys honestly, and would he even be that much cheaper than Bradbury?  I assume they would both get around the same amount?

Jason Kelce
Creed Humphrey
Frank Ragnow
Ryan Jensen
Erick McCoy
Ben Jones
Ryan Kelly
David Andrews
Tyler Linderbaum
Jake Brendel
Mitch Morse

Still no clue why not go center 1st round, would save a lot of money and get a player potentially that is just as good if not better.  Sure maybe they miss on the pick but would be hard to be worse than Bradbury was over his career so doubt Schmitz or Patterson would not be up to the task.  

I like moving on from Bradbury, just not sure McGovern is this amazing player or something.  Hell if Myers and Biadasz are better than Bradbury or equal two and both of them fell in the draft when they should have been picked higher.  So getting a guy in the draft better than Bradbury, again not sure it will be that hard, would be really easy if they had a 2nd round pick which they do not but still it is a deep and talented center class.  

He might not be an amazing player, but if he is an adequate replacement at a price they can swallow, then it allows them to address more pressing positions in the first round. I still think that they are almost certain to trade down, to grab an extra pick or two, so that is likely part of the calculation as well.

And getting a guy in the draft who is better than Bradbury is not easy. If it was, we would’ve picked a guy better than Bradbury years ago and not picked Bradbury at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

He might not be an amazing player, but if he is an adequate replacement at a price they can swallow, then it allows them to address more pressing positions in the first round. I still think that they are almost certain to trade down, to grab an extra pick or two, so that is likely part of the calculation as well.

And getting a guy in the draft who is better than Bradbury is not easy. If it was, we would’ve picked a guy better than Bradbury years ago and not picked Bradbury at all. 

Erik McCoy is better than Bradbury and they were picked in the same draft, the next year Cesar Ruiz is better than Bradbury as well.  Creed Humphrey and Josh Myers are arguably better than Bradbury and they were both picked the year after that and Tyler Linderbaum I would say is possibly better than Bradbury and he was picked last year.

It is not that hard, they just never did it because they drafted Bradbury so why not have him play through the contract, he was not so bad he would be cut obviously.  I would just rather have a rookie center than a rookie CB/DB considering already the youth in the secondary.  Sure if they can do something and get another 2nd round pick and take a center great.

Just not sure paying McGovern big money is the right idea.  He got $8-9 mil a year the last few years, Bradbury got $3 or so a year, so again not sure the Vikings can pay $8-9 mil for a center in McGovern when a rookie would be far cheaper and possibly just as good if not a better player than McGovern.