What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He wouldn't be traded for less than a mid-first. He won't be traded.

From the Packers perspective though do you pick up his 5th year option if Rodgers comes back? Because what if Rodgers gets hurt or retires after February 18, 2024 doesn't that mean his $49M cap hit becomes fully guaranteed? If they pick up Love's option that also becomes fully guaranteed for $20M. So there's a chance that they have almost 70M tied up at QB in 2024 and then would have to tag or extend Love to keep him without ever really seeing him play.

There's also zero chance you're getting a mid-1st round pick for a guy that has one career start and is due for an extension. 

Edited by NYRaider

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Titans are blowing it up in a significant way - trading for Rodgers in the middle of that blast zone makes little sense from a financial sense as well as a football sense.

I'm not saying it's likely, but they're an option.  Spotrac has them at $11.3M under the cap while OTC has them at $12.4M under the cap, so call it $12M.  Acquiring Aaron Rodgers eats just over $15M.  They can create an additional $17.8M by trading or releasing Ryan Tannehill.  They've got restructure options in Bud Dupree ($10.6M), Kevin Byard ($9.3M), and Harold Landry ($10.4M) if they need to create more cap space.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There's also zero chance you're getting a mid-1st round pick for a guy that has one career start and is due for an extension. 

Probably not.  But it's going to take more than a Day 3 pick to get the Packers to give him up.  Think Kevin Kolb is your framework for a Love deal.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Probably not.  But it's going to take more than a Day 3 pick to get the Packers to give him up.  Think Kevin Kolb is your framework for a Love deal.

Depending on how the QB market shakes out I could see someone giving up a 2nd if they decide to trade him.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:49 AM, CWood21 said:

I'm not saying it's likely, but they're an option.  Spotrac has them at $11.3M under the cap while OTC has them at $12.4M under the cap, so call it $12M.  Acquiring Aaron Rodgers eats just over $15M.  They can create an additional $17.8M by trading or releasing Ryan Tannehill.  They've got restructure options in Bud Dupree ($10.6M), Kevin Byard ($9.3M), and Harold Landry ($10.4M) if they need to create more cap space.

What for though? Options have to work both ways. Do you really see them as a team that’s even remotely competitive? No LT, a 2nd year WR who was largely underwhelming and injured, an aging Derrick Henry who is on the edge of that proverbial cliff RBs with his age and mileage tend to go, a defense that is abysmal on its worst day and middling on its best day - why sink any amount on assets and push cap into future years in a team that is in need of a full structural overhaul?

Tennessee is where Indinapolis was last year, where the Texans were two years ago. Trying to shoehorn in a declining Rodgers to prop up a non-existent window and jacking up your cap in 24, 25 and 26 with unnecessary restructures to make it work only makes that window seal up even tighter in future years.

New GMs (such as Ram Carthon) are brought in to rebuild a team from the bottom up, not put pieces on top of an aging foundation. Titans are more likely to move guys for future assets. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd do a 3rd/4th this year and a conditional pick next year that could be a 2nd-4th depending on his playing time and performance. 

Honestly?  I think in the long run, that would be better for your club than getting Rodgers for much higher draft capital...while having him for one or two years.

On GB's end...financially that would be worse for them.  Part of the reason to move Rodgers is to start getting around that contract, the sooner the better.

In the end, I'll be a GB fan no matter what.  But I really want to see what Love can do.  I know what Rodgers can do when he actually trains his legs and core...and I know what he can do when he doesn't.  And I know how he plays in the postseason.  No spoiler alert here...but he plays poorly in the playoffs.

And...if Love were to go to the Raiders?  Keep your eye on 'Vante.  He gave less than expected effort in his one game he played with Love.  I'd imagine that he'd say the right things to the press, but in his head...he would not be happy.

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He wouldn't be traded for less than a mid-first. He won't be traded.

I think there is more grey area than that.

First it depends on whether or not Rodgers wants to keep playing and be in GB.

Then it depends on if that is really what the front office wants.  (And they'd better want to move on.)

But if Rodgers is back...then it comes down to how the Packers view the QB's in this draft class as compared to Love.

Still...I find it much more likely that Love is in GB this coming year, but there is a little grey there.  And the little I've seen of the projected first round QB's, the more I like Love.  And Love is still only 24.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I think there is more grey area than that.

First it depends on whether or not Rodgers wants to keep playing and be in GB.

Then it depends on if that is really what the front office wants.  (And they'd better want to move on.)

But if Rodgers is back...then it comes down to how the Packers view the QB's in this draft class as compared to Love.

Still...I find it much more likely that Love is in GB this coming year, but there is a little grey there.  And the little I've seen of the projected first round QB's, the more I like Love.  And Love is still only 24.

I see no grey in what I said. Love is more valuable to GB than anywhere else. They know how good he is, and they won't trade him away for less than a first. 

On 2/22/2023 at 4:51 PM, General Tso said:

Oh please let this be true.

Come on you can't be that gullible.  This screams lets try and get back as much leverage as possible.  The way things are trending they went from asking for two 1s to maybe not even getting any.  With Oak now likely out they might not get that bidding war they all hoped for.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Come on you can't be that gullible.  This screams lets try and get back as much leverage as possible.  The way things are trending they went from asking for two 1s to maybe not even getting any.  With Oak now likely out they might not get that bidding war they all hoped for.

Of course I want to be gullible. It's in their worse interest to keep him 😅

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why are the Raiders suddenly out?

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Key word being "think", right?  We're in misdirection season.

He's usually pretty in the know with things. He was the first person to report he thought there was a chance but he said that he thinks it's less than 5% now and implied that we're probably going to draft someone early.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's usually pretty in the know with things. He was the first person to report he thought there was a chance but he said that he thinks it's less than 5% now and implied that we're probably going to draft someone early.

Seems a bit too convenient, especially after that report (I think it was Peliserro) reporting that the Packers wanted Rodgers back.