What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

So… is trading Lance still on the table?

No. Not sure it ever was, but definitely isn't now, I have to imagine. He costs more to trade than to keep on the roster and the delays in Purdy's surgery means that he likely won't be ready until some point in the regular season. I wouldn't be surprised if Purdy starts the season on PUP at this point. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

No. Not sure it ever was, but definitely isn't now, I have to imagine. He costs more to trade than to keep on the roster and the delays in Purdy's surgery means that he likely won't be ready until some point in the regular season. I wouldn't be surprised if Purdy starts the season on PUP at this point. 

May I interest you in ....

Green Bay Packers Mustache GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

Would Carolina or Washington make sense?

Washington definitely makes sense. They already have a good trio of WRs, decent RBs, and they just hired EB to lead the offense + a great defense. With the new ownership group potentially coming in, Rodgers could be a nice way to show the fanbase that they're committed to winning. 

The Panthers would have to do an insane amount of salary cap gymnastics and they need a lot of pieces offensively, I can't imagine he'd want to play there. 

Other wild card teams:

Seattle: They could move on from Geno to upgrade with Arod so Pete can chase one more Super Bowl before he retires. 

Miami: They were supposedly high on TB12, Tua's future is a question mark, so maybe they go all in with Rodgers. 

NY Giants: If they're hesitant to pay DJ they could land Rodgers on a relatively cheap deal for the next two seasons.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-aaron-rodgers-trade-value-and-the-logistics-of-dealing-the-packers-star-qb-plus-his-best-fit/

The low end of Rodgers' trade value should be a 2023 second round pick, assuming he is dealt in a timely fashion. The high end would be a 2023 first round pick with a conditional 2024 second round pick that could become a first round pick depending on either Rodgers or the team's 2023 performance and whether he commits to play in 2024. 

On 3/1/2023 at 8:17 PM, Docknstein11 said:

Giving up a haul for Rodgers at this point would be incredibly desperate. Risking so much for possibly one year of a guy who could be over the hill or doesn’t have his heart in it. 

Unfortunately, if you want to improve your roster you're going to have to pay to do so.  And given that the FA option is barren outside of Derek Carr and Geno Smith (most likely tagged), Rodgers might be the best option for any team not named Houston or Indianapolis.  And given the recent trade history of Carson Wentz (for a SRP) and Matt Ryan (3rd round pick), it's going to take more than "extra" picks to land Rodgers.  Especially when you factor in that the team acquiring Rodgers would be getting him with a very reasonable cap hit of $15.2M.  That a bargain for a guy who is a year removed from back-to-back MVP seasons.  I'm not saying I expect a team to hand over a top 10 pick for Rodgers, but it's going to cost a team a solid trade package.  I mentioned this package in the Jets' forum a few weeks back.

Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

* For the '24 FRP, the pick is conditional on either Aaron Rodgers playing in 70% of the offensive snaps OR the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If both of those tresholds aren't met, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play a single snap in 2023, that traded pick wouldn't be dealt and remains with New York.  More on that in a minute.

** For the '25 FRP, the pick would be similar to that of the '24 pick but with less risk.  The pick would convey as a FRP if Rodgers played in 70%+ of the offensive snaps AND the Jets made the Super Bowl, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers plays in 50%+ of the offensive snaps and/or the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, the Jets wouldn't owe a pick.  Any other scenario would result in New York sending a 3rd round pick to Green Bay.

In theory, that framework of a trade would work for any team that's currently picking ahead of Green Bay.  That could include Las Vegas and Carolina, two teams reportedly interested in Rodgers.  That framework wouldn't work for a team picking behind Green Bay (i.e. Washington) or a team without a FRP (i.e. San Francisco or Miami).

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:33 AM, NYRaider said:

Washington definitely makes sense. They already have a good trio of WRs, decent RBs, and they just hired EB to lead the offense + a great defense. With the new ownership group potentially coming in, Rodgers could be a nice way to show the fanbase that they're committed to winning. 

From an on-the-field perspective, Washington absolutely makes sense.  But given the dysfunction and unknown surrounding ownership, Rodgers probably is going to have strong reservations about going there.  Plus, they're an NFC team, which the Packers are probably going to be reluctant to trade him to anyways.  I'm struggling to see a scenario in which Washington gives the Packers enough to justify moving him inside the conference AND Rodgers willing to play in Washington.  Remember, Rodgers cut out his own family because he thought they were toxic.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:33 AM, NYRaider said:

The Panthers would have to do an insane amount of salary cap gymnastics and they need a lot of pieces offensively, I can't imagine he'd want to play there. 

Not really.  They've got some pretty easy cap maneuverings to do if they need the cap space.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, incognito_man said:

What makes you disbelieve this report but believe the report about the Raiders being "out"?

One team has nothing to lose/gain saying they are out.  The other is doing everything they can to gain any oz of leverage they can.  Now that the Raiders GM basically said as much do you believe it now or still just speculation?

I'm not 100% sure the Jets are in unless that asking price is much lower than expected.  Rumors around the Jets beat suggest they're in at the right price.  Douglas has shown if the price is too high he'll walk.

11 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

One team has nothing to lose/gain saying they are out.  The other is doing everything they can to gain any oz of leverage they can.  Now that the Raiders GM basically said as much do you believe it now or still just speculation?

I'm not 100% sure the Jets are in unless that asking price is much lower than expected.  Rumors around the Jets beat suggest they're in at the right price.  Douglas has shown if the price is too high he'll walk.

I absolutely do not believe anything reported to the media. Raiders have a lot to gain by saying they aren't interested if they actually are.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, if you want to improve your roster you're going to have to pay to do so.  And given that the FA option is barren outside of Derek Carr and Geno Smith (most likely tagged), Rodgers might be the best option for any team not named Houston or Indianapolis.  And given the recent trade history of Carson Wentz (for a SRP) and Matt Ryan (3rd round pick), it's going to take more than "extra" picks to land Rodgers.  Especially when you factor in that the team acquiring Rodgers would be getting him with a very reasonable cap hit of $15.2M.  That a bargain for a guy who is a year removed from back-to-back MVP seasons.  I'm not saying I expect a team to hand over a top 10 pick for Rodgers, but it's going to cost a team a solid trade package.  I mentioned this package in the Jets' forum a few weeks back.

Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

* For the '24 FRP, the pick is conditional on either Aaron Rodgers playing in 70% of the offensive snaps OR the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If both of those tresholds aren't met, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play a single snap in 2023, that traded pick wouldn't be dealt and remains with New York.  More on that in a minute.

** For the '25 FRP, the pick would be similar to that of the '24 pick but with less risk.  The pick would convey as a FRP if Rodgers played in 70%+ of the offensive snaps AND the Jets made the Super Bowl, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers plays in 50%+ of the offensive snaps and/or the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, the Jets wouldn't owe a pick.  Any other scenario would result in New York sending a 3rd round pick to Green Bay.

In theory, that framework of a trade would work for any team that's currently picking ahead of Green Bay.  That could include Las Vegas and Carolina, two teams reportedly interested in Rodgers.  That framework wouldn't work for a team picking behind Green Bay (i.e. Washington) or a team without a FRP (i.e. San Francisco or Miami).

You are going to be every disappointed if you’re expecting this return.