Upcoming QB Contracts...

NYRaider

16 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Hopefully w/ all those voided years, they don't start becoming a trend where we see a "Bobby Bonilla Day" in the NFL lol.

The difference is that with these void years, teams aren’t actually paying the players every year. That’s just when their cap hit tolls. The players have that money already by the time the void years come up.

Bobby, IIRC, was actually getting paid all these years lol.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The difference is that with these void years, teams aren’t actually paying the players every year. That’s just when their cap hit tolls. The players have that money already by the time the void years come up.

Bobby, IIRC, was actually getting paid all these years lol.

Ohhhh I misunderstood that part! So the player gets their money up front but the cap hit is the only thing spread out over the years. Got it! And yes, Bobby still collects cash every July 1st lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Ohhhh I misunderstood that part! So the player gets their money up front but the cap hit is the only thing spread out over the years. Got it! And yes, Bobby still collects cash every July 1st lol

So does Griffey with the Reds.  A few years back, after one of their roster destructions, Griffey was like the 7th highest contract on the books

On 2/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, Yin-Yang said:

That’s probably ballpark accurate. Unfortunately for NY, he’s got them in a tougher spot. 

Smartest thing they can do is front load the crap out of a deal that’ll pay him really well early on, then cut loose if they need to. I don’t think he’s got enough leverage to negotiate above that.

They put themselves in this spot by declining his 5th year option, they didn’t believe in him enough to commit to paying him $22M. 

I think the smartest thing they can do is to shelve any long term extension talks this off-season and just tag him. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They put themselves in this spot by declining his 5th year option, they didn’t believe in him enough to commit to paying him $22M. 

I think the smartest thing they can do is to shelve any long term extension talks this off-season and just tag him. 

He was coming off a major neck injury where he missed the final 6 games of the season. It was absolutely the right call at the risk of $10M.

Keeping him on the franchise tag would be a terrible decision. That $32M cap hit would severely hurt being able to spend in free agency. Spreading the hit is a much better decision to building a successful team that needs a lot of help.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:
On 2/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, Yin-Yang said:

That’s probably ballpark accurate. Unfortunately for NY, he’s got them in a tougher spot. 

Smartest thing they can do is front load the crap out of a deal that’ll pay him really well early on, then cut loose if they need to. I don’t think he’s got enough leverage to negotiate above that.

This feels like revisionist history - this time last year, nobody figured Danny Jones would get anything more than a backup QB contract. He surely was on his way out until last season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If the Giants picked up Jones's 5th year option, you'd be the first one ripping that decision on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

If the Giants picked up Jones's 5th year option, you'd be the first one ripping that decision on here.

EVERYONE would have ripped that decision. Last season was the first time anyone looked at Danny Jones as anything but a bust. 

• Like 1

Random question (think this would be as good of thread to ask if any), say a team cut a player and is left with a few years of dead money. If the player came back to that team somehow before the dead money ended, would the player essentially count twice on the cap? I'm guessing so, just randomly came to mind and figured I'd ask. Hope that made sense.

8 minutes ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Random question (think this would be as good of thread to ask if any), say a team cut a player and is left with a few years of dead money. If the player came back to that team somehow before the dead money ended, would the player essentially count twice on the cap? I'm guessing so, just randomly came to mind and figured I'd ask. Hope that made sense.

Exactly.

Fletcher Cox was released by the Eagles last off season, had more than 10 million in dead money in 2022, and 15  million dead for 2023.

He was re signed to a new contract with a 4 million cap hit, plus the dead money from being released in 2022, and the new deal had a bunch of void years at the end.  So he will be a June 1st cut this year, adding to his 15 million already dead for 2023, and have dead money in 2024.

Edited by downundermike
  • Like 3

On 2/14/2023 at 10:10 AM, ET80 said:

This feels like revisionist history - this time last year, nobody figured Danny Jones would get anything more than a backup QB contract. He surely was on his way out until last season.

On 2/14/2023 at 11:09 AM, minutemancl said:

In 2021 Jones was on pace for 4,100 yards / 19 TD before he got injured. He had 3,900 yards / 22 TD this season. He was more efficient and better as a runner this season but his numbers are still pretty similar to what they were pre-Daboll, the only difference is that they won this season (largely due to a soft schedule). And a big reason that they won is because the Giants new offensive staff was running some borderline Justin Fields level concepts to avoid DJ having to throw the ball. 

QB contracts have been trending upwards forever at this point, even if he would've just been okay this past season and they wanted to move on, $22M really isn't that much for a starting QB.