Upcoming QB Contracts...

NYRaider

Is everyone forgetting that Cleveland got Watson because noone else would give him that deal? I think it was a done deal him to Atlanta(?) and then Cleveland got desperate and everyone else said **** that.  Now Jackson has no SA allegations so that’s different. But still all this Watson got it so Lamar’s getting it. Idk if it’s accurate. There was ONE team willing to do that and they’re out of the equation.

21 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Is everyone forgetting that Cleveland got Watson because noone else would give him that deal? I think it was a done deal him to Atlanta(?) and then Cleveland got desperate and everyone else said **** that.  Now Jackson has no SA allegations so that’s different. But still all this Watson got it so Lamar’s getting it. Idk if it’s accurate. There was ONE team willing to do that and they’re out of the equation.

reactions, like, this, matthew mcconaughey, dazed and confused, wooderson –  GIF

Watson's contract is and will remain to be a total outlier once Herbert/Burrow/Hurts etc. sign their extensions.

Lamar needs to understand that when analyzing his market value 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Think of the Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson contracts if Daniel Jones somehow did get a contract worth $45 million AAV.

$60,000,000/year minimum.

Cap Space nerds would cry.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

reactions, like, this, matthew mcconaughey, dazed and confused, wooderson –  GIF

Watson's contract is and will remain to be a total outlier once Herbert/Burrow/Hurts etc. sign their extensions.

Fully guaranteed QB deals are gonna happen, QBs have way too much leverage for it to not. Might be shorter term deals (3-5 years) but they'll happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Pretty much. I think though that Lamar could be potentially correct in some other desperate organization giving him the same type of a guaranteed deal. That's not to say that the deal is with the Ravens, because I don't think it is, but it is probably out there with another similarly poorly run organization...someone like the Jets for example.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Only if that value is in Baltimore. If he's willing to go elsewhere, someone will probably pay him way too much and way too much guaranteed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Only if that value is in Baltimore. If he's willing to go elsewhere, someone will probably pay him way too much and way too much guaranteed.

Isn't that literally what just happened with Watson? He was set on going to the Falcons but then the Browns offered him a fully GTD deal right before a deal was official so he chose them instead?

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Isn't that literally what just happened with Watson? He was set on going to the Falcons but then the Browns offered him a fully GTD deal right before a deal was official so he chose them instead?

That’s exactly my point yes. A trio of teams wanted him so the Browns gave him everything.

4 hours ago, Xmad said:

Fully guaranteed QB deals are gonna happen, QBs have way too much leverage for it to not. Might be shorter term deals (3-5 years) but they'll happen.

Yep. They already happen in pretty much every other sport. Quarterbacks bring so much money to a league that makes so much money. Owners will just have to deal with it at some point soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yep. They already happen in pretty much every other sport. Quarterbacks bring so much money to a league that makes so much money. Owners will just have to deal with it at some point soon.

Still a long ways to go, Rodgers is the only other non-rookie QB that has 60%+ GTD.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, Danger said:

Has been said every year since the first $20M/year contract.

I'd be curious to see what the average of the top 5 AAV is over the years as a percentage of the cap.

lol 3 weeks later I did this without remembering I said this.

yFlhY3v.png

Given I expect there to be a slight regression as percentage of the cap, assuming we see 3 big extensions this offseason, I expect them to average to ~49.5M AAV

First would probably be just north of Russel Wilson at $49M per, then each of the next 2 will subsequently just beat that offer, so maybe ~50M AAV

First 49M
Second 50M 
Third 51M

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Danger said:

yFlhY3v.png

Given I expect there to be a slight regression as percentage of the cap, assuming we see 3 big extensions this offseason, I expect them to average to ~49.5M AAV

First would probably be just north of Russel Wilson at $49M per, then each of the next 2 will subsequently just beat that offer, so maybe ~50M AAV

First 49M
Second 50M 
Third 51M

This is interesting when looking at the values as an average at the time  the contract is signed.  But with how most QB/large contracts are structured, with the amount of restructuring options, the % of the cap hit probably stays pretty similar to prior years.  

Would be interesting to track going forward

On 2/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Danger said:

yFlhY3v.png

First 49M
Second 50M 
Third 51M

I'd be curious to see this back further in time too!