What should the Bills do?

notthatbluestuff

The Bills are perennial Super Bowl favorites even though they've arguably not achieved much more than Mike Vrabel's Titans in the Josh Allen era; they are for some reason seen as one of three AFC superpowers despite getting comfortably dominated at home by one of those three and having zero playoff victories against the other in two attempts. They have a vaunted QB known for trucking defenders out of his way yet is also relied upon to do most of the heavy lifting in his offense - they also have a DC taking a year off work. 

So what should they do? Shrug and run it back thinking that surely Allen will be dominant enough to take them to the Super Bowl one of these years? Or make significant adjustments to the way the team operates?

They should look to rebuild their offense line, establish a running game and find a 2nd receiver. I think that will help Allen the most and help the team the most. Even if they lose pieces on defense, I believe their defense will still be really good. 

• Like 3

You make improvements like everyone else does every year.

But unlike my man Nick Wright, I don't think Buffalo is really "missing a piece" or whatever. I don't think the Chiefs or Bengals "are their daddy" and they need some ringer to come in and beat us.

They are a good team who is capable of winning. They need to try to get better to keep pace, but I would be very optimistic if I was a Bills fan for the next like 5+ years lol.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Seems like everything is way too reliant on Josh going full "hero mode" but all they need is to get hot at the right time.

Which is exactly why they better change before Josh Allen turns into Cam Newton post injuries!

Better find a running game, improve the Trenches and add another reliable WR threat. As much as Davis makes the splash plays,  he's as reliable as DeSean Jackson was for years. 

Could go off for 150 2 TD at any moment and completely disappear for 2 catches 15-35 yds next 3 games. It can't just be Diggs or I Run people over.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

Get better, same as everyone. 

WR, OL, DL, are all priorities. They’re going to need young guys to step up with some pieces probably leaving this offseason. 

They don’t really have a single move or decision that seem pressing or overtly necessary, so?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bullyball said:

They should look to rebuild their offense line, establish a running game and find a 2nd receiver. I think that will help Allen the most and help the team the most. Even if they lose pieces on defense, I believe their defense will still be really good. 

This is on the money. They need to take some pressure off of Josh Allen's shoulders. Get him better protection, a RB that the offense can lean on, and another dynamic pass catcher. If they can land someone like Bijan in the draft that'd be huge for them.

They should have went in on Christian McCaffery. Trotting out guys like Devin Singletary and James Cook is not going to get the job done in a reasonable fashion - and I’m not even talking about running the ball, but finding a multi weapon capable of being a threat on the ground as well as a viable option catching the ball all around the field.

If the Bills can draft Bijan Robinson, I fully expect them to take a step forward and start winning against the KC/Cincinnati’s of the world.

They just need to draft better, honestly. I don't think the direction the team is going with is wrong. They have one of the couple of QBs in football that are "you always have a chance" level QBs, so they should absolutely be trying to win now, still. They just need to draft better. They're going to lose some talent this offseason, and the problem is all their best guys are now second contract guys. And you can't pay a full starting roster if they're all on 2nd or 3rd contracts.

But, if you look at the list of needs that have been listed so far in this thread, you have RB, WR, OL, and DL. Look at their recent drafts. '19 they went DT in the 1st, OT 2nd, RB 3rd. '20 they went DE in the 2nd (was their first pick that year), RB in the 3rd, WR in the 4th. '21 they went DE 1st, DE 2nd, OT 3rd, OT 4th. Took a RB again this year in the 2nd. They've tried to find a running game, they've tried to build a DL and an OL. They've tried to draft WR depth. But the second best receiver they've drafted just had a career year in Jacksonville. The best offensive lineman they've drafted is doing great in Cleveland right now. They haven't really gotten a true star in the draft since 2018, and haven't gotten multiple plus starters since maybe 2019. And those guys are starting to get paid right now. All of their premier players are on second contracts. Allen, Diggs, Knox, Morse, Dawkins, Milano, Miller, Oliver, Hyde, Poyer, White, Edmunds. You can't afford all that. They needed a couple of those guys to be replaced via a few of the last drafts, and instead they had to go after the same spots repeatedly (OL, DL, RB) because they kept striking out. They needed Singletary and Ford and Epenesa and Basham and Brown to have turned out better than they did.

So I don't think they need to do anything differently from a planning perspective or anything, they just need the next 2 or 3 drafts to go much better than the past few.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

They should have went in on Christian McCaffery. Trotting out guys like Devin Singletary and James Cook is not going to get the job done in a reasonable fashion - and I’m not even talking about running the ball, but finding a multi weapon capable of being a threat on the ground as well as a viable option catching the ball all around the field.

If the Bills can draft Bijan Robinson, I fully expect them to take a step forward and start winning against the KC/Cincinnati’s of the world.

I'd target Leonard Fournette or Kareem Hunt in free agency and consider trading up for JSN.

• Like 2