Buyer Beware! Who are the players you have concerns about in the draft?

brownie man

On 3/8/2023 at 5:29 PM, lark25 said:

Kalijah Kancey. Just a small frame with 30.5" arms, fantastic athlete but will get overwhelmed.

Aaron Donald is significantly longer. I am a big believer that arm length is overblown but he is probably below threshold where it gets harder at the nfl level.

Donald also has superhuman level strength, and great hand usage. Kancey has neither of those things.

@ the thread topic:

Tyree Wilson-EDGE : He's not BAD, per se.... but guy is getting massively inflated for his measurables relative to his actual talent level. You're drafting on upside here, which will bite you more than it pays off.

Will Anderson-Edge: He's got elite production, but I can't help but notice that he's basically completely unblocked on every single one of his highlights. Much of that is schemed stunts or plays designed to run away from him (which should take him out of the play and he just still wrecks them to his credit)...   We saw when they played Tennessee that he can be completely shut down by an OT that actually puts their hands on him, and that would be my concern at the NFL level that makes him a much riskier pick to me..... even if he was seemingly immune to OT ever touching him in college....

Skoronski-OG:  He's a guard.....stop trying to draft a guard in the top 15 unless he's superman.

Mauch-OG: Think he's getting more hype than the talent deserves because he's kind of a character (admittedly an AWESOME kind of character)

Mazi Smith-DL: The guy is the freakiest of athletic freaks.....but I don't see that on his tape.

Young-QB: I genuinely hope he proves me wrong, but I won't believe in a qb his size until I see it.

Bijan Robinson-RB: I'm only listing him here because I think Gibbs is RB1 this draft, and that it's not actually that close (Gibbs is my preseason pick for OROY), but robinson will go at least 10 picks earlier, if not a full round. Other than that, he's gonna make some team really happy. High floor, high ceiling.... just over hyped,  and not "the best"

Johnston-WR  He's a big WR that plays like a small WR.

Jordan Addison and Josh Downs: Size/frame concerns.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

A fair criticism

He always keeps his eyes downfield? Eh, I don't agree with that AT ALL. Dude stares guys down, is way too eager to escape the pocket, which oftentimes is a clean one, and respectfully has been surrounded by about as much talent at Alabama as Stroud has.

Here's what's funny about this hot take, to agree with my guy Blue:

If you're going to fairly criticize Stroud for the athleticism and pressure metrics, then I think it's more than warranted to criticize Young for the physical question marks and the fact that he's not nearly as athletic as he's been made out to be at his very small stature.

I understand the concerns with Bryce's size and I'm a little weary myself. If he was 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier he'd be one of the greatest QB prospects we've ever seen but obviously he's not. The height isn't as big of a concern to me because of how well he moves but he's definitely going to have to put on some weight. Like I said the Georgia game I was extremely impressed with Stroud but I can't let one game change my perception of what I've seen the past few years.

I don't disagree with you that Bryce had great talent around him but the talent at WR Ohio State has put around Stroud has been absolutely incredible. We're talking about arguably the top 2 WRs in last year's class, the top WR in this year's class and arguably the top 2 in next year's class. It was so elite that Bryce Young's #1 target (Jameson Williams) couldn't even get on the field. Alabama will always have elite talent but they also play in the SEC. Stroud was running with a top tier SEC roster in the big 10 and I just think he really had an extreme advantage at every single position on the field week in and week out. Bryce did as well but not to that extent. Obviously I can't knock him for having a good team around him but I really think most QBs would've thrived in his situation. In the NFL this isn't going to be the case and I think he's going to struggle.

I'm a big proponent that football is a team game and I know his defense didn't necessarily show up in the Michigan games but some blame has to be put on him. Ohio State was what 15-1 in their last 16 vs Michigan and this kid gets there and loses back to back with the far more talented team. 

I just think Fields was heads and shoulders above Stroud at OSU and a better comparison would be Dwyane Haskins. Every QB that has been in this Ohio State system has thrived and I'm just not buying it with Stroud. I think he has a lot of people fooled.

8 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

I just think Fields was heads and shoulders above Stroud at OSU and a better comparison would be Dwyane Haskins. Every QB that has been in this Ohio State system has thrived and I'm just not buying it with Stroud. I think he has a lot of people fooled.

A couple things:

1. I agree on Fields, no question

2. The Haskins comp is a BAD one. Haskins was (rightfully) dinged for his poor downfield accuracy, simplistic playbook with heavy bubble and crossing routes, and inability against pressure/bad athleticism. Stroud is in a completely different system than Dwayne played in, with NFL option/read routes and passing tree concepts.

3. Well, I hate to break it to you, but every Alabama QB in their system has thrived too, whether it's Hurts, Tua, Mac Jones, or A.J. McCarron. So, if you're going to use the "system" argument, make sure you apply it to both. :) 

I think Stroud is a decent bit better passer than Fields, but Fields has an obvious major athleticism advantage.  That said, I think Stroud's athletic limitations are over blown because Day didn't want him taking hits.  Stroud is an above average athletic quarterback, Fields is an elite athlete at quarterback.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think Stroud is a decent bit better passer than Fields, but Fields has an obvious major athleticism advantage.  That said, I think Stroud's athletic limitations are over blown because Day didn't want him taking hits.  Stroud is an above average athletic quarterback, Fields is an elite athlete at quarterback.

Yeah 100%. Stroud is significantly better at reading the defense, getting the ball out quickly and on time, and is simply more accurate to every single level of the field. Fields has those freak traits, but Stroud is, in my opinion, the better QB prospect for the NFL. If the Bears could swap Fields for Stroud in a 1-for-1, I think that'd pay off more in the long run. Now, I get that the Bears aren't gonna take a QB at 1 given the volatility of unproven prospects, but my gut is telling me Stroud ends up being a titch better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

All of the QBs

I feel like the QB, just from the nature of the position (you want one of them, and ideally you only play one of them, and it matters a lot) makes people focus extra hard on whatever flaws a guy has.  I'm hard pressed to think of a QB in any draft I thought was an absolutely clean prospect (including like Luck and Lawrence.)

Gonna add a guy on here that my Bears seem enamored with:

Adetomiwa Adebawore- Edge/DT/????

Guy is a tweener without any real position only getting hyped right now because he is an athletic freak via the combine..... He doesn't have edge production, and apparently the Bears are asking him about playing 3t, a position he *checks notes* doesn't actually play.  It's not impossible that he does well, considering he's an athletic freak, but that's a massive gamble on development compared to where he's likely going to get drafted because of his combine. He not only doesn't have much production, but he may have literally never played the position he's drafted for.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Gonna add a guy on here that my Bears seem enamored with:

Adetomiwa Adebawore- Edge/DT/????

Guy is a tweener without any real position only getting hyped right now because he is an athletic freak via the combine..... He doesn't have edge production, and apparently the Bears are asking him about playing 3t, a position he *checks notes* doesn't actually play.  It's not impossible that he does well, considering he's an athletic freak, but that's a massive gamble on development compared to where he's likely going to get drafted because of his combine. He not only doesn't have much production, but he may have literally never played the position he's drafted for.

"The ‘Cats lined up Adebawore across the DL this year, including 374 snaps outside the tackle, 261 in the B gap, and 75 over tackles, per PFF" link